Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has the electronics on the Variax series ever been upgraded?

'Electronics' is a pretty broad and vague term. If you mean the modeling technology, that's an easier answer. The modeling technology was improved on the JTV series of Variax guitars. The older Variaxes (300, 500, 600, and 700) all shared the same technology, and all the JTV guitars (59, 69, 89 and their various flavours) share the same improved technology.

EDIT: I'm sure there are some Variax owners who feel that the original pre-JTV guitars still sound better at least for some models, and that the 'improvement' was no such thing. It's all subjective when it comes to sound, but certainly in terms of processor power, memory capacity, and digital features the JTV is an improvement.

Thanks...

Yes, I meant the modeling tech.  I'm this close to buying a JTV59 but I'm hesitant as none of the Variax (non usa) models really do it for me, lol.

I have lots of guitars I love already. For me, the only reason for the variax's existence is the modeling bit. So I question the longevity of its modeling circuitry because I don't buy into the whole, 'even if it craps out you can still use it as a normal guitar' thing afaic.   ;) 

...or is the electronics all the same on all the models currently available?

Thanks

Variax had a processor upgrade from the Variax to the JTV series. JTV and Standard series both have the same processing power and memory.

There are some hardware differences to identify which guitar is which, but the hardware upgrade was from the original Variaxes to the JTVs. It's why you can't have JTV updates on the old ones.

I just hope Line6 will also sell upgrade kits for JTVs whenever the "next JTV" with more powerful electronics is developed. I'd buy that for 300-400, but most probably not a new guitar for 900.

Does Line 6 have product cycles for something like this?  These JTV's have been around for, what, about 5 years already?

Hate to get one now and... well... ya know, lol.

I suppose where is the point that newer guts have advanced enough and cost wise to create a new product. <shrug>

they are just now releasing the variax standard with the same electronics...

safe bet they intend to ride this hardware platform out a bit longer....

there's always something new...

and you can wait for it.. always...

and of course never get it in your hands....

i'd just get it if you want it it... and then get back to making music.

Does Line 6 have product cycles for something like this?  These JTV's have been around for, what, about 5 years already?

Hate to get one now and... well... ya know, lol.

I suppose where is the point that newer guts have advanced enough and cost wise to create a new product. <shrug>

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Yeah, you're right about that. :)

I've been flipflopping all over the place over the 59 or the 69. I'm now digging the look of the black 69 w/maple neck.  However, I don't like the noise of single coils. I replaced all mine with noiseless on my other guitars. However it does have a 5 way selector and replaceable neck if need be, Vibrato is fine as I don't float them. Will a maple neck affect the sound of the models?? hmmmm

I just hope Line6 will also sell upgrade kits for JTVs whenever the "next JTV" with more powerful electronics is developed. I'd buy that for 300-400, but most probably not a new guitar for 900.

It's not like putting in a set of aftermarket fuel injectors. Whatever the next generation of hardware turns out to be, you're not gonna be able to just dump it into a JTV.

Actually I find the 89F the best Variax because of it's versatility.

Modelling a strat on the 59for instance is a bit off because the 59 doesn't have a tremolo.

The 69 does have a tremolo but then you can't really do all the divebombing and such expecting it to stay tuned.

To my eyes the 59 is the most beautiful but I waited for the 89F to jump on.

I feel that if you want a modelling guitar to model as many guitars as possible it must have a fully capable tremolo.

Just my way of looking at it.

Actually I find the 89F the best Variax because of it's versatility.

Modelling a strat on the 59for instance is a bit off because the 59 doesn't have a tremolo.

The 69 does have a tremolo but then you can't really do all the divebombing and such expecting it to stay tuned.

To my eyes the 59 is the most beautiful but I waited for the 89F to jump on.

I feel that if you want a modelling guitar to model as many guitars as possible it must have a fully capable tremolo.

Just my way of looking at it.

Unless you're just not a tremolo guy, then you won't care one way or the other. I hardly ever touch the bar...one of the first things I did was throw a Tremel-No in my 69. I like the feel of a Strat-style guitar, and never could warm up to the LP scale length. So the 59 wasn't an option for me...but the 69, now effectively a stop-tail, suits me fine...I suspet I would have been just as happy with the 89 minus the Floyd.

Thanks guys.

I'm confused. Thought I've read the 89 has either some 'different' modeling (more shred models) than the 59 or 69, or does it have all the those models plus one or more extra (shred) models?

I think my current understanding is that the 59 and 69 have the same models and that the 89 has the same number of models as well but only that some differ in that they changed some of the electric models to be more 'shreddy'?

I was looking at the 89 but I recently got an EVH Wolfgang non usa as my sort of 'dive bomber' guitar in my collection, lol.  I'm not by nature a dive bomber anyway so my usual vibrato usage is of the usual light wavering kind. However, having some non locking vibrato guitars (eg, strat), keeping the nut slots well greased allows for much more heavy usage and tuning stability.

ps... trying to get away from using the name 'tremolo' bar, which by definition is change in volume, and the proper term vibrato. :lol:

Unless you're just not a tremolo guy, then you won't care one way or the other. I hardly ever touch the bar...one of the first things I did was throw a Tremel-No in my 69. I like the feel of a Strat-style guitar, and never could warm up to the LP scale length. So the 59 wasn't an option for me...but the 69, now effectively a stop-tail, suits me fine...I suspet I would have been just as happy with the 89 minus the Floyd.

True enough

Too bad the old 89 is gone now.

I personally hate floyds, but they do stay in tune better, they just are annoying to set up.

My B and G string like to fall flat when I do bends after using the whammy, so I don't do dive bombs. I don't much of that stuff in the first place. I'd more or less like to just use it as a downwards vibrato.

Thanks guys.

I'm confused. Thought I've read the 89 has either some 'different' modeling (more shred models) than the 59 or 69, or does it have all the those models plus one or more extra (shred) models?

I think my current understanding is that the 59 and 69 have the same models and that the 89 has the same number of models as well but only that some differ in that they changed some of the electric models to be more 'shreddy'?

I was looking at the 89 but I recently got an EVH Wolfgang non usa as my sort of 'dive bomber' guitar in my collection, lol.  I'm not by nature a dive bomber anyway so my usual vibrato usage is of the usual light wavering kind. However, having some non locking vibrato guitars (eg, strat), keeping the nut slots well greased allows for much more heavy usage and tuning stability.

ps... trying to get away from using the name 'tremolo' bar, which by definition is change in volume, and the proper term vibrato. :lol:

Same models just instead of the custom 1 has modeled the 89 pickups. Biggest difference is the pickups, FR, 24 frets and different alt. tunings by default.

Bottom line, at modeling part is one of the same.

• Upvote 1