Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Way To Connect Pod Hd500 To Stereo Receiver?

gstmike

Just curious how best to connect my POD HD 500 to my stereo.  I have tried connecting it from both the headphone jack and the mono XLR out to the RCA aux inputs on my Yamaha receiver but there is a delay from the time I pick the string until I hear a sound.  It doesn't do this when headhphones are connected  Is there a setting I need to change?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

XLR outs are at instrument level, so I would use a twin TS to twin RCA lead, as the TS outs are at line level and the RCA inputs on the receiver will be expecting a line level signal (except the Phono input, which you should avoid, as you could overload it).

The 500 certainly won't produce any latency and there's no d/a conversion in the receiver if you're using analogue inputs, so you should be good to go. Make sure you're using CD or Tape input or similar, and not something digital, like SPDIF.

When you say there's no delay with headphones connected, do you mean the headphones are connect to the 500 or the receiver?

My Stereo AV Receiver (Yamaha also), has the speakers connected to it and a jack (custom built) that I connect from the stereo Aux output, setting it to "Aux" mode, to the "Phones" input in the POD. That way I have no delay and the sound is good. Recently I've bought a pair of nearfield monitors (Yamaha again) and I think the sound is better that way, but that's another story...

GTLaser,

Thanks for the input.  I meant there is no delay when the headphones are connected to the HD500.  Delay aside, it also sounds much better through the headphones.  Not sure why.  I will try your method tonight. 

Akeron,

You post confused me.  I think you meant you are connected from the Headphone "OUT" on your POD to the Aux "IN" on your Yamaha to the right?

That is how I tried it (also with the yamaha set to Aux) and that's where I hear the delay.

So are you experiencing latency through your sound system? I find it kind of hard to believe that the latency through your receiver would be noticeable even though you are going through extra A/D and D/A conversions. I suppose it is possible that your receiver introduces noticeable latency. If that's the case, I'm not sure what the best route is. Does your receiver have some sort of digital effect component that you can turn off?

Akeron,

You post confused me.  I think you meant you are connected from the Headphone "OUT" on your POD to the Aux "IN" on your Yamaha to the right?

That is how I tried it (also with the yamaha set to Aux) and that's where I hear the delay.

On the back of the receiver, I've got a cable with one side with two jacks connected into two sockets named "Aux" and the other side is a single jack connected to the "Phones" output of the POD

@gstmike......... a couple of observations.........

1) re: delay. Check the audio settings on your receiver. I know that mine (an A/V receiver, not just audio) has a delay parameter that is used to synchronize audio and video in cases where the lips move and the words don't line up. Perhaps yours is set to some positive value rather than to zero?

2) Re; headphones. The sound through your stereo will be different from the sound through your receiver because your standard audio stereo system colours the sound. Mine has many different presets, each of which will sound different. Presets or not, your receiver has tonal controls as well as a built-in tonal characterization. All of these can affect the sound quite dramatically. What you hear through your headphones should sound similar to what you hear through a PA system or studio speakers, which are FRFR devices (Full Range Flat Response). Your audio receiver is almost certainly not FRFR.