Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't decide on neck

I'm changing my JTV-89 for a 69, I'm more of a Strat (or Tele) guy. :)

I've found a black 69 with maple neck, anyone know how this is compared to a rosewood? Are they the same sizes? :D

I think my dream guitar would be a white with Maple neck, but havent seen one. :)

Just ordered same one, but its not here yet. It should be fine. I got all different kinds necks, frets, scale lengths and like them all. ;)

Don't sweat it. Human biological units are highly adaptable. Just enjoy playing it. :D

Just ordered same one, but its not here yet. It should be fine. I got all different kinds necks, frets, scale lengths and like them all. ;)

Don't sweat it. Human biological units are highly adaptable. Just enjoy playing it. :D

Or you could find yourself needlessly handcuffed by a comically narrow nut width that hasn't been seen on a production guitar since the 50's. Simple open position chords were infuriating. Thought I was having a stroke... ;)

But as always, your mileage may vary.

I was never a guitar spec guy. Anyways this got me curious and looked up nut widths and a 1.625 seems to round out as a 1-5/8" or 43mm width.

I have a couple EBMM guitars with 1-5/8" nut widths and they're fine. My hand spans 8-1/2" which I guess sits around average. Regardless, I never concerned myself about these things... I just adapt to it.  :) 

However I suppose if one's hand are very larger or small then its probably a definite consideration

Narrow won't be a problem, I got used to the JTV-89 :D

The 89's PROFILE is narrow...but that's not the problem, and it's not what we're talking about. The 69 had a 41mm nut width, which is smaller than just about anything else you could grab off the wall at your local MegaloMusic. The resulting string spacing is rather claustrophobic, for lack of a better term, and imho contributes to the string slippage issues that so many have had. In the attempt to have a more normal string-to-string spacing (which didn't work anyway...can't put a size 10 foot in a size 9 shoe, unless you don't care about your toes) it requires pushing the two E strings way too close to the edge of the frets, hence the ease with which they get dumped overboard.

Being I bought from Sweetwater I can see how close the E strings are to the fret edge and it all looks ok up and down the neck.

As an unscientific comparison, I have a new EVH Wolfgang standard made overseas and my rough measurement at the nut is approx. 41 - 41.5mm and both E's lie about the same place from the fret edges as the 69 I ordered from Sweetwater and my Wolfgang feels and plays perfectly fine to me. Now neck profile may be a different matter but, again, I adapt. :)

There are a ton of these guitars out there.  Some don't like the neck.  Some do like it.  Get it and play it and decide for yourself.  If you don't like it, you can either return it or replace the neck with one that you do like.  That is an advantage to this design with a bolt on neck.

Being I bought from Sweetwater I can see how close the E strings are to the fret edge and it all looks ok up and down the neck...

...both E's lie about the same place from the fret edges as the 69 I ordered from Sweetwater...

You may love the neck, some do...but as nice as those pics are that Sweetwater gives you, you won't know anything till its in your hands. Hell, it's a pic on a computer monitor...the color is even debatable until you're staring at it in person. Just one of the innumerable joys of mail-order guitar shopping.

The Sweetwater pix are useful though.  They are of the actual guitar and I have seen setup problems in some of them.  I look for the strings to be nicely centered on the neck at the bridge end and for the strings to be centered over the pickups.  When I bought mine, there were four to choose from and the pix were helpful.  I don't like buying guitars mailorder but it's hard to find JTV's in guitar stores and often, they have been abused.