Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reaper Disconnecting Gearbox? [x3 Live]

Meljin

Hello there,

after switching computer from a 2years old one to a better one, i reinstalled all the software I used ; Reaper, Gearbox, Pod Farm.

The problem is that if I try to launch both Reaper & Gearbox (so that I can tweak my tone while recording/playing), I won't be able to use Gearbox.

For instance, I loaded a tone, tweaked it a bit, and as soon as Reaper was launching, the tone returned to its first sound. 

I tried to switch amps or even mute the sound with the "monitor" option on Gearbox, nothing happened.

If I try to open a new tone, the following message appears :

DSP Failed to load model correctly. You may not hear the selected model.

Reason : (code 8000900c) MIDI device timed out waiting for a response.

Also, I can use the POD X3 Live to switch inbetween tones. So it seems like launching Reaper is disconnecting my POD from the computer.

I tried switching off/on the POD after launching Reaper, we can hear the Gearbox Tone for half a sec then it returns to the unmodified tone.

Hardware :

Windows 7

4gb RAM

500GO Drive

not sure what should I add there.

Thanks for the help!

If you run Monkey do you have green ticks for drivers?

Is your PC an AMD machine? If so there may be a USB filter that is bundled with their Catalyst software that has caused issues which were resolved by removing the filter.

Hi, thanks for the answer!

I can't run monkey, i downloaded all the drivers from Line6 website. Everytime I try to launch Monkey, I have the http403 error :(

Also, my PC is an AMD machine, but the Catalyst software isn't installed - should I try to install it?

Hello, 

I downloaded Monkey - there was an update for the X3 driver. The HTTP403 bug is resolved, but the Reaper-Gearbox problem is still there

I don't think my DAW settings are bad as they were working back when I had Windows XP.

Here's the audio device settings, if it may help :

Audio System : ASIO

Asio Driver : Asio pod x3 live

X enable imputs :

First : 7 ; tone 1 dry

Last : 8 ; tone 2 dry

(so that I'll be able to reamp with Pod FARM)

Output Range :

First : 1 ; output 1

Last : 2 ; output 2

X Request sample rate : 48000

Also, when I plug the X3 LIVE on, the computer recognises it as the primary audio system, disabling the sound from my computer headphones. I have to switch it everytime, Is there a "default option" to resolve it up?

Thanks again :)

Another test : Even though I can't switch tones on gearbox, if I record using the previous audio settings, it works and records the dry imput of the guitar. But I can't listen to the result through the headphones connected to the pod - I have to switch to WaveOut or DirectSound & use the computers' audio system.

thats the problem you HAVE to use the X3 as your soundcard... you cant switch the output to another soundcard.

also make sure that your output on the x3 is set to match studio direct....

Also, when I plug the X3 LIVE on, the computer recognises it as the primary audio system, disabling the sound from my computer headphones. I have to switch it everytime, Is there a "default option" to resolve it up?

Thanks again :)

Another test : Even though I can't switch tones on gearbox, if I record using the previous audio settings, it works and records the dry imput of the guitar. But I can't listen to the result through the headphones connected to the pod - I have to switch to WaveOut or DirectSound & use the computers' audio system.

Using Gearbox, the 1/4 Inch output is set to "Match Studio/Direct", but I'm not sure if it is what you are talking about.

Also, I may have been using the wrong words as english is not my first language. (even though that's not the most important, it might be the root of the problem?)

If I plug the X3 on, the computer TRIES to use the X3's soundcard to play, for instance, a Youtube noise. I tried to launch a movie, it worked for 1 second and then shutted up.

Before I switched computers, it was recognizing X3 as connected, but was letting my computer's soundcard as the primary one. I used the X3 along the ASIO drivers - for instance, I could load a music through my computer speakers and play using headphones plugged in the X3 - using the following chain

guitar - x3 - dry signal into daw - VSTs - x3's headphones

Attached file shows what happens with the new computer. My Windows is in French, but I just wanted to show how the X3 soundcard was plugged as the primary, letting the computer's (VIA) one to a "slave/passive" mode.

Well, I might be a bit confused because of the XP/W7 change...

post-1408539-0-34072300-1373467982_thumb.jpg

okay... that information solves it....

you have whats called USB dropout.

Line6 has agreed to fix it for free regardless of warranty status (might be bulletin #52 i believe)

but you need to call a service center and get it fixed... its a hardware issue that you can't fix otherwise.

without the fix, the x3 works on some computers and not others... some operating systems and not others.... so your recent change is what made the hardware issue obvious.

you would be taking a chance on a used one not having the fix as well...

what you might try to avoid the service center is buying and installing a separate USB card in your computer....

seem to recall that the NEC chipset cards were somewhat reliable...

not every card will work... but its usually pretty cheap to try one... (20$ USD, may be different for your country)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've also been slaving to learn about the USB dropout problem which reared its head after I purchased a new computer.

I now have my POD X3 Live working properly again -- by connecting it to a USB 2 port rather than a USB 3 port.

Sheesh. Those things are supposed to be backwards compatible.....