Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV connectivity to use Workbench question

Is there any particular special way to connect a JTV to your computer to use it with Workbench?  Right now I have my JTV into my 500X via the optional VDI cable I bought with the guitar. Live Monkey sees it and Workbench says its connected.

Or, do I need to connect the guitar directly to the computer with the usb adapter and cable that came with the guitar and not thru the 500X? Before I go further I just wanted to know.

Also, even though the VDI powers the Variax do I also need the battery inserted as well?

Thanks

You can do it either way, but I suggest connection via the vdi cable from JTV to the HD, then USB to the PC, to use HD Woorkbench to work with the JTV models. You do not need the battery in the JTV, as the HD powers it.

This is my preferred method because the sound is a bit different between the vdi and 1/4" jack - mostly in volume difference between models and mag pups.

This assumes you have the most recent firmware in both your JTV and HD, and the current WB software.

Dave

Thanks fellas.  :) 

This guitar just came yesterday. All software & firmware the latest. 

Too bad there aren't workbench audio preferences like when using standalone soft synths  where you can choose the audio interface thats connected to your monitors. So right now for me to hear the variax and HD I have the HD's output to a separate powered pa speaker.

Being on mac I probably can create an audio aggregate device and make the HD's output connect with my Audio 6 interface I use for my DAW if I ever get to go and figure out how to do that. (problem...way too much software, way too much info to absorb and grok)  :D 

It's actually better to adjust the WB JTV models using the amp you use for the guitar, whether it's PA speaker FRFR, or guitar amp with your HD unit. The tonality of electric guitars is a combination of of the guitar and the amp -- the amp fills it out. Completes the picture as it were...

Dave

• Upvote 1