Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean Vocals without any effect ...

Segomil

Hi all

I have the HD500x that i use mostly for my guitar ... The Vocals passes by mu UR22 Steinberg, but i want to use the HD500X also for my voice now.

But the the POD do not has a clean preset to get my voice without any effect ... even in the list BASS/ACO/VOC the presets seems not to be good ... i need to bypass the effect of the POD !

Please help me !

Thank you

(the UR22 is good for this because it do not any preset or effect)

According to Pfsmith0, the Class A-15 amp is the flattest, the 121 ribbon mic is the flattest and the Blackface ‘Lux Cab is also the flattest.

Channel Volume = 100% ï‚· E.R. = 0% ï‚· Class A-15 full adjusted for flat frequency response ï‚· Bass = 25% ï‚· Cut = 70% ï‚· Treble = 18% ï‚· Pres = 40% ï‚· Drive = 64% to give THD = 1%. ï‚· Amp DEP settings: ï‚· Hum = 0% ï‚· Master = 100% ï‚· All others (Sag, Bias, Bias X) = 50% ï‚· Cab DEP settings: all 0% ï‚· 121 Ribbon mic since it has the flattest frequency response (slightly better than the 4038 Ribbon in my opinion)

So if I were you I would try this setup as I think it will give you the most transparent amplification.

The other solution I can think of (and please someone correct me if I am wrong), is to create a blank patch and just raise the mixer level. This will give you a completely dry signal.

Hope these help. Try them and tell us if it worked :) Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I just did this last week, and I created a patch with "Vintage Pre" as my only effect.  No amp or anything.  I used "AUX" as my input, but it would work with the mic input too.  Anyway, that seemed to be a clean signal to me. 

Hi

I am using a tube mic form studio projects, so I don't have a problem with 48 v.

But on the HD 500X I use the vintage pre in combination with the tube compressor.

From there I use the SP/DIF output the my MOTU soundcard and to my DAW.

This sounds pretty good.

But if Line 6 would release a good HD Pre amp pack, I would surely want it.

Ok the Vintage Pack seems to be the way ... but it's strange that the HD500X do not have a real preset for mic in it when you already have a XLR micro (in) connexion !

Thank you very useful information here...

Just do not use any amps. At least do not use any cabs, as they alter the frequency response radically and you'll end up having a "radio effect" on your vocals. If anything, I'd use gently the Tube Comp and maybe some EQ effects, but if you are unsure of what you're doing, just record straight and apply effects afterwards. Vintage Pre could also work, but try how it sounds with and without it. Probably the presets always have some sort of amp, unless there is a "New Tone" or "User" preset which could be completely blank. Otherwise you just need to turn everything off.

Since you have a tube mic then I'd just use a blank signal chain. You already have the preamp as part of your mic. Set Mic/Guitar hard left/right at the mixer and separately control their relative volume levels at the mixer.