Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I use Preset delay time and Tap at the same time?

carl1000

So, I want my delay times in the presets to be "boss".  But I want to tap in a tempo on that pretest whenever I want....but I want to be able to go back to that preset and have the orginal preset tempo to be there.  Not the one I taped in earlier.  Can I do this?

Well, if you save a delay time with a millisecond value, that can't be controlled by the tap tempo. However, what you're actually doing when you use the tap tempo button is setting the BPM. Whether that affects just the current patch you're in or all patches depends on whether or not you have chosen global or preset in the setup menu. So to get back to your question, if you had tap tempo set to preset, you could have your delay times set to a note value, tap in a tempo when you're in that preset, go to another preset, and then you come back the preset's BPM would be whatever you had saved it with.

Well, if you save a delay time with a millisecond value, that can't be controlled by the tap tempo. However, what you're actually doing when you use the tap tempo button is setting the BPM. Whether that affects just the current patch you're in or all patches depends on whether or not you have chosen global or preset in the setup menu. So to get back to your question, if you had tap tempo set to preset, you could have your delay times set to a note value, tap in a tempo when you're in that preset, go to another preset, and then you come back the preset's BPM would be whatever you had saved it with.

Great answer, but I don't think you have to choose another preset and come back to the original preset, just choose the original preset again.

Thanks for the replys.  Basically in a song on the setlist, my guitar player has the BMP or TEMPO set for that particular song in the preset.  But if the drummer hits the wrong patch or click isnt there for the band's timing, it is nice to be able to hit that temp button to get the timming lined up.  But, now the TEMPO in the patch is what he tapped in!  It needs to be what the preset was programmed for that song. The original TEMPO is lost.

I wish the POD HD had the GLOBAL to be the preset's tempo's, not a Global tempo.  I have no use for a global tempo as all 20 songs have there own tempos.  But now when the TAP is used in one of those songs the preset's tempo is now what I tapped in....which is good for that moment.  But when he comes back to that preset the next day it is not the original "album" tempo.  But, the tapped tempo. 

I wish the POD HD had the GLOBAL to be the preset's tempo's, not a Global tempo. I have no use for a global tempo as all 20 songs have there own tempos. But now when the TAP is used in one of those songs the preset's tempo is now what I tapped in....which is good for that moment. But when he comes back to that preset the next day it is not the original "album" tempo. But, the tapped tempo.

As long as you have the tap tempo set to preset instead of global it will work the way you want it to.

As long as you have the tap tempo set to preset instead of global it will work the way you want it to.

So I tried this too and it appears the preset auto-saves the latest tap tempo you tap just as Carl1000 has stated. We must be doing something wrong if phil_m says it should work.

This is what I did:

Moved to a blank preset. My test preset.

Ensured the tap tempo was set to preset.

Set the tempo to 150.

Saved the new test preset.

Switched to another preset and back to the test preset. Tempo stayed at 150.

Tapped in a new tempo with the foot switch. Did not save the preset. The tempo changed to 240.

Switched to another preset and back to the test preset. 

The test preset tempo was not 150 as expected, but was 240.

Where did I go wrong here?

my guitar player has the BMP  for that particular song in the preset.  But if the drummer hits the wrong patch 

That's why people who utilize a 'backtrack' or other forms of sync tech, tend to start to include more and more of it, until everyone is just dancing around to an album. 

As everyone that has come before me has said --- 

Anything you change will not be saved unless you save it. So all you need to do it recall the preset to recall the original settings. 

QUESTION 

Are you running this with EDIT attached? 

THAT is going to be part of the problem. 

• Upvote 1

QUESTION 

Bingo... If you're doing this while running Edit, all bets are off. For whatever reason, things like tempo changes in Edit cause strange behavior with the POD.

Exactly.  Thats what I am getting.  That may be just the way it is.

QUESTION 

Bingo... If you're doing this while running Edit, all bets are off. For whatever reason, things like tempo changes in Edit cause strange behavior with the POD.

Unplugging the POD from my computer worked. 

Moved to a blank preset. My test preset.

Ensured the tap tempo was set to preset.

Set the tempo to 100.

Saved the new test preset.

Tapped in a new tempo with the foot switch. The tempo changed to 240. I did not save the preset. 

Selected the preset again and the tempo reverted to 100.

I would have never guessed that the software designed to edit parameters has this type of side effect, but good to know.

Thanks for chiming in pianoguyy.

The problem with EDIT, is in its name. It is there to edit

When you make changes to your patch --- such as activating/deactivating an fx or changing a tempo --- how does the machine know the difference between making an edit and simply testing out the edits you made. 

The problem with EDIT, is in its name. It is there to edit

When you make changes to your patch --- such as activating/deactivating an fx or changing a tempo --- how does the machine know the difference between making an edit and simply testing out the edits you made. 

Consistency, using HD Edit or the editor in the POD, would by my expectation. Line6 Staff posting a "Known Issues" quick reference document of anomalies would be an asset. In the mean time, knowing there are issues can save time and frustration. Again, thanks for bringing it up in your post.

Thanks to all of the replies!  I found that if I tap in the tempo with the front panel button (then save the preset) it will save the tempo that I tapped in the preset.  Even if I change it then come back it is the same...which is good.  But now my last issue with this is - can I assign a BMP or ms tempo value to the preset without having to tap on the button?  I found that in the editor you either enter a milli second value or set it to follow the tap button.  On the HD Pro itself, you either set the BPM manualy or or you set the value to tempo.  

Ideally I want to manually set the BPM in the preset somehow AND still be able to use the tap button

Thanks to all of the replies!  I found that if I tap in the tempo with the front panel button (then save the preset) it will save the tempo that I tapped in the preset.  Even if I change it then come back it is the same...which is good.  But now my last issue with this is - can I assign a BMP or ms tempo value to the preset without having to tap on the button?  I found that in the editor you either enter a milli second value or set it to follow the tap button.  On the HD Pro itself, you either set the BPM manualy or or you set the value to tempo.  

Ideally I want to manually set the BPM in the preset somehow AND still be able to use the tap button

Yes, you can still do this. If you manually set the BPM and save the preset, that tempo will be saved with the preset. If you hit the tap tempo button, that BPM is changed. Any delays or other effects that have note values saved in the time or rate parameter will respond accordingly. Again, this assuming you have selected "preset" for the tap tempo parameter in the setup menu.