Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best eq to boost mids cleanly and assign to Exp pedal

Indianrock2020

In our church the guitars often get buried in the mix when you have 200 people singing.  The volunteer sound techs can't really deal with it so I'd like to assign an EQ effect to the expression pedal for a boost to mids.  If I boost volume it would probably impact other band members' in-ear mix , which I don't want.

So I need to choose which effect in my 500x and what frequencies to emphasize.  I'm usually playing rhythm guitar with a Carvin AE185 ( blend of humbuckers and acoustic bridge pickup ).  Normally a clean patch using Vox AC30 and hall reverb.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

I found that the eqs tend to have a harsh bump when using the expression pedal to change parameters.  I've had better luck setting the expression pedal to adjust the amp eq.  The curve is much smoother that way.

That's an interesting idea.  So maybe 40% mids on the amp with pedal up and 75% with pedal all the way down.

Please note that on most of these amps the MID control is a cut control. You either cut a lot or not as much. If you want a MID boost then you'll have to do that with an EQ. You can see this in the frequency responses described here.

Please note that on most of these amps the MID control is a cut control. You either cut a lot or not as much. If you want a MID boost then you'll have to do that with an EQ. You can see this in the frequency responses described here.

Interesting. Yes I see that on the Vox AC 30 TB I normally use, it is a cut.  But when you assign amp 'mids' to the Expression pedal it doesn't show cut at all.   This clip was just thrown together as I looked at rhythm possiblities on this David Crowder song -- normally the rhythm would be much lower in the mix.  But at 33 seconds I pushed the "mids"  ( cut ) up and you can hear what it did.

https://soundcloud.com/indianrock-1/04-lift-your-head-weary-sinnerclip