Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question on the cab modeling and preamps on Firehawk

sefloval

Hello!  Just have a couple quick questions on the Firehawk.  I'm currently using a tube amp (Egnater Tweaker 15 head W/6L6's) with an Avatar  2x12 closed back cab loaded with a V30 and G12-K85.  Sometimes I run pedals in front of my amp and sometimes a run my Zoom G3 through the amp return using the amp modeling. 

although I like the Zoom, the Firehawk looks appealing with the board layout.  My question is if running the Firehawk through the amps return, how do the cab sims sound coming out of a guitar cabinet when using the Firehawk preamps?  the reason why I ask is the Zoom's cabs don't sound too good and bypassing the cab sims sounds horrible!  It just sounds.....fake in a live setting with the cab sims on.

It appears you can't just use the preamps and bypass cab simulation on the Firehawk?  Anyone using their Firehawk through a traditional amp/cab setup through the power amp section of their amp? 

Thanks for any info!

Lance

Hello!  Just have a couple quick questions on the Firehawk.  I'm currently using a tube amp (Egnater Tweaker 15 head W/6L6's) with an Avatar  2x12 closed back cab loaded with a V30 and G12-K85.  Sometimes I run pedals in front of my amp and sometimes a run my Zoom G3 through the amp return using the amp modeling. 

although I like the Zoom, the Firehawk looks appealing with the board layout.  My question is if running the Firehawk through the amps return, how do the cab sims sound coming out of a guitar cabinet when using the Firehawk preamps?  the reason why I ask is the Zoom's cabs don't sound too good and bypassing the cab sims sounds horrible!  It just sounds.....fake in a live setting with the cab sims on.

It appears you can't just use the preamps and bypass cab simulation on the Firehawk?  Anyone using their Firehawk through a traditional amp/cab setup through the power amp section of their amp? 

Thanks for any info!

Lance

You can disable cab modeling by selecting "no cab" as the cabinet model. This isn't quite the same as just using the preamps of the amp models, because the amp models themselves contain power amp modeling as well, but it generally does what you're wanting to do. I can't comment on how it sounds, as I don't actually own the Firehawk.

I'm yet to find a multi fx that sounds good through a guitar amp with cab sims on, but as already stated you can turn the cab off, it always sounds distant to me with cab sims on, more lush maybe but once in a band mix it gets lost, I wouldn't expect the Firehawk cabs to sound any better than what you've already tried

Cool, thanks for the replies!  I would rather have them off and use my own speakers as I like the way they sound (K85 +V30 is a good combo).  I just can't make the Zoom sound good with cab sim off or else I would use it that way.  As long as the Firehawk has a way to disable cam sim and it sounds good that way through power amp and speakers, it should work!  

I'm going to see if I can demo one at the Guitar Center near me this coming week.  

Thanks again, 

Lance

• 2 months later...

I've just bought the Firehawk and have a question.

Can I use the 1/4" out into my return in the amp (amp as a monitor) plus also the XLR outs into the PA simultaneously?

If so what happens to any cab modelling?

Ideally I would want to set up cab modelling to be on via the XLR's and off via the 1/4" jacks.

Is this function built in or am I asking too much here?

I don't want a crap sound out of the amp or PA and I'm not sure how is best to set things up.

Just to clarify a little, you can output from the xlr's and 1/4 inch outs at the same time but your stuck with the cab sim on when you go into your amp

I'd love this feature too, to be able to select amp/line output levels and cab sim on/off per output