Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Desktop and Presonus Studio One

Jonas76

Hi everyone, 

been a long time lurker through these forums and firstly wanted to say hi to the community. Seems to be some real knowledge floating around here and really need the experts opinion. I've been a line 6 user forever now, always looking for the next affordable new thing :).

Ok here is the issue. My POD HD Desktop (bean) is connected to my workstation (Dell XPS 64, multicore, 16gb mem) Windows 8.1 and my DAW is Presonus Studio One (2.7). I'm running a USB 3.0 external drive for tracking. I'm getting BSOD (blue screen of death) almost everytime now at about 15-20 minutes into session. I'm not using ASIO currently. Some of the errors I get are "BAD_Pool_Header", some where drivers that needed updating from line 6 through line monkey. All my video drivers are updated, all my line 6 drivers are updated and I'm running my latest version of Presonus Studio One. 

Obviously, my support question here related to the POD HD side of it, or if anyone else has encountered a similar situation with a similar setup. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I suspect the drive....two bulk mode devices on the same USB root controller does not generally work all that well....If you use POD HD as an audio interface and control, you best off giving it a dedicated USB root controller....Likely, you workstation has two...You might need to play around with which ports they are using and stay away from the front ports as these are generally hubs and those do not work well for Bulk and Streaming mode devices like you HD and your harddrive...

Also check your BIOS version, chipset drivers and possible USB firmware for your MB....

• Upvote 1

Jonas -

You didn't give much info about your system. I went looking for info on "Dell XPS 64" and near as I can tell, there's no such animal. Dell XPS means "extreme processing system". What is the exact model? Processor? Laptop or desktop? What, if not ASIO, are you using for audio drivers?

Here's a link that might be of help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1653072/fix-bad-pool-header-error-windows.html

First of all, 

thanks right off the bat. Appreciate the answers. 

The system I have is a Work Station Desktop Intel Core i7 (10 cores) @3.60Ghz, 16 Gb Ram. 

I am using my POD as the audio interface and control (I couldn't stand my Pro tools M-Audio anymore). Using my back USB 2.0 port for it (thanks for that tip however). Can you go into detail about bulk and streaming? Had no idea. 

Reading around the forums I kept reading that ASIO4all was a bad match according to TheRealZap. Is there a difference between ASIOs?

You dudes are super. Keep it up and thanks for the tips. 

USB is works on interrupts. It is a serial bus and the meaning is that when you have more than one device on the bus, one may/will "interrupt" other device(s) on the bus. The "streaming" mode for USB does NOT guarantee that 100% of the data will make it across the bus...data streams is data like keyboard, mouse, audio, video....this more like real-time sorta playback stuff...Data like an HD patch file would be transferred in bulk mode which means the data will be 100% correct.

with audio and video there is an acceptable frame loss built into the spec....With something like a hard drive, the data being written and read from the drive is transferred in bulk mode...bulk mode means that the 100% of the data will make it across without a byte being lost...but it could be interrupted by streams where the bulk session might stop and start back up again....the stream will just drop some frames...

• Upvote 1

Jason - as long as your hard drive is on a 3.0 port, and the POD is on a separate 2.0 port (not a hub port), then there should be no conflicts. However, I doubt that's what is causing your BSOD problem. BSOD's are usually caused by bad memory or misbehaved driver issues. ASIO problems generally cause audio engine crashes in DAWs, and sometimes a DAW will freeze the system, but BSODs are a different matter. Did you try the system reset as suggested in the Tom's Hardware link I sent you? You won't really know what adjustments to make to your system till you identify the true culprit. Another thing to do would be to make sure that your system is optimized for audio. There's several good articles out there on doing that, Steinberg and Cakewalk have good ones that I know of, and you might find something on the KVR Audio site.

• Upvote 1

First is what I posted before....Check for BIOS updates and chipset updates for your MB....Dell, would be the place to start on that...Next, you might try isolating the problem...Instead of recording to the USB drive, remove it and record to the local drive an see if you still have the problem...Windows 8 has had some USB issues, as have some of the newer chipsets...

BAD_Pool_header is usually a HDD, flash drive or memory...I suspect the drive...maybe it just doesn't like the POD...hard to say...

• Upvote 1

Seems I found the culprit. I've been able to record without the system crashing on me yet. I've not used it extensively but will see how far it takes me. Beside all the driver updates it seems that selecting the USB selective suspend setting to disabled helped the situation. At least that's what I think so far. I'll monitor further and follow up if I have any other updates. 

Cheers.