49 replies to this topic

#1 GTLazer

GTLazer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

OK, so we know the 500x has a new processor and fancy buttons, but what else is new?

Well, someone had to do this, and I had nothing better to do, so I've just been right through the respective Advanced Guides, page-by-page, side-by-side, and, as far as I can tell, they're pretty much exactly the same.

So, to answer my own question: nothing.

You like my answer? Hit the up arrow. You no like my answer? Hit the down arrow. Sorted.

#2 bjnette

bjnette

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

http://www.youtube.c...JMSEZcS5o#at=12

Well it is more an updated model that is probably how the HD500 should of been released to be able to use the available FX.

#3 GTLazer

GTLazer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

I'm certainly not complaining; I was just providing information to quell the rumours of things like improved signal routing.

Like I've said in another thread, it's exactly the same as when Boss replaced the RC-20 with the RC-20XL. A couple of years after releasing the original model, the memory (or, in the case of the 500x, the processor) is so much cheaper that you can release an improved model for the same price.

As I've also said elsewhere, those of us who already own a 500 are not the target market at all; they're just keeping things fresh for new customers, which is fair enough.

Off the top of my head, I think the only time I've really had any problems with the DSP limit is when trying to use twin Bogners with delay and reverb. As I've been umming and ahhing about swapping the 500 for a Pro, I'd certainly be interested in trying twin Bogners on a 500x to see if it sounds as cool as it does in my head.

If it does, maybe that'll tip the balance and I'll get a ProX when it comes out.

You like my answer? Hit the up arrow. You no like my answer? Hit the down arrow. Sorted.

#4 evilmikehoo

evilmikehoo

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationBrandonville, PA USA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

So, any future firmware updates (i.e. new amp models) for the 500X will also include the 500? This is my biggest concern. I just got my 500 a little under 2 months ago after waiting and dreaming of one for a long time (couldn't afford it) and then a new and improved model comes out! Just a bit disheartening. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love my 500 and just hope there will be continued support. I would imagine that customtone will be somewhat affected, tho.

#5 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

they've said this is going to be the case on their facebook announcement.

So, any future firmware updates (i.e. new amp models) for the 500X will also include the 500? This is my biggest concern. I just got my 500 a little under 2 months ago after waiting and dreaming of one for a long time (couldn't afford it) and then a new and improved model comes out! Just a bit disheartening. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love my 500 and just hope there will be continued support. I would imagine that customtone will be somewhat affected, tho.

#6 lilguitar

lilguitar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Did they at least change the power cord?  Does anyone here actually have one in their hands yet?

#7 urbanacrobat

urbanacrobat

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

I am hoping against hope Line 6 incorporate a more powerful DSP with the HD500x. I run separate vocal and guitar chains using the unit and being able to process a full signal chain for each, even just a preamp, compressor, reverb and delay for each would be a godsend - 8 effects simultaneously is not enough!

#8 panaman

panaman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

the real bomber will be the tone import handling when 500x tones cannot be loaded to the 500, that is my biggest concern

#9 marcwormjim

marcwormjim

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

I just purchased an HD500x from JRRshop. I'll A/B it with my 500 when it arrives. The dealbreaker for me will be if it still can't do amp channel-switching within one patch (without having to be bare of effects). 

#10 tochiro

tochiro

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

Please confirm you can import your HD500 sounds into the HD500x without problems at all...

#11 harpel

harpel

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

you can import a single sound, but no bundles or setlists 

:(

#12 harpel

harpel

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

the display of the 500X looks a little brighter compared to the 500

#13 tochiro

tochiro

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

you can import a single sound, but no bundles or setlists 

:(

Oh really... I've always saved my HD500 sounds as bundles.  Is it possible to save each sound and import them?  Tedious but...

#14 harpel

harpel

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

good news:

mralmostpopular wrote:

Just a note for anyone looking to upgrade, the HD500X uses a different file format than the HD500 (.5xe for the 500X, .h5e for the 500). I went ahead and tried simply changing the extension, and they do seem to open in the new edit software. I haven't noticed any issues, but I also haven't yet had a chance to go through and make sure that they retained all of their settings. The reasoning for making a new file format was probably for the customtone gallery, but it seems like an odd move for them not to make the 500X directly backwards compatible with the older format. Luckily, I only had a handful of patches for the 500, but someone who's made a ton of patches over the last couple of years is probably going to find the process of changing the file format and testing the patches to be very tedious.

I can confirm that  :) 

#15 tochiro

tochiro

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

Ok thank you. 

That process still seems rather unsure to me.  I wont upgrade to HD500X if I'm not 100% sure I can import my sounds.  Can someone from Line6 confirm what is and what is not possible in that respect?

#16 mazuwa

mazuwa

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hey tochiro,

You can check it easily. Just download HD500X Edit and see if it will load your HD500 presets.

Harpel wrote he renamed the file extension from .h5e to .h5x and it seems to load the files.

#17 tochiro

tochiro

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

Well yes I could do that but I don't want to lose the HD500 Edit program otherwise I cannot save my HD500 patches any more...

#18 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11092 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

You won't lose the HD500 Edit program. Different HD Editxxx programs can be installed simultaneously.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#19 mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hey tochiro,
You can check it easily. Just download HD500X Edit and see if it will load your HD500 presets.
Harpel wrote he renamed the file extension from .h5e to .h5x and it seems to load the files.

It's actually .h5e to .5xe

#20 lilguitar

lilguitar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

the real bomber will be the tone import handling when 500x tones cannot be loaded to the 500, that is my biggest concern

Please confirm you can import your HD500 sounds into the HD500x without problems at all...

Funny, I was on another thread not two weeks ago and folks couldn't understand why backwards compatibility was such a big deal...well here we are...again. 

Sounds like there is some hope, albeit it a bit tedious importing every single patch and resaving...I'll still take that any day over having to rebuild each one from scratch!

Will still have to verify that no erronous data is missing from each patch...unless someone from Line 6 can verify that the HD500 patches will in fact carry over all previous settings/parameters just by simply renaming the file.  Fingers crossed.  continue the updates on this please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users