Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The BEST tone you have ever made with Pod HD!

Giorgos02

Hey, you're on sso! I listened to this when you posted it this morning. I like it, what are you using?

I'll try to post something on Thursday when I have a day off work.

Yes I am, I have seen you too! :P

I used 2 fireballs for this with XXL and Tread cab. Other than that it was the typical chain, od-comp-gate. The trick is that I spent crazy amounts of time with the EQ's so I can get my tone closer to his.

POD HD PRO + HD METAL PACK

Remastered Marshall® JCM800 (Model 2204)

Schecter Blackjack C1 with pickups Seymour Duncan pickups : Nazgül & Sentient.

I recorded with the camera of my Samsung Galaxy S5. It's only a test :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4612d8mCw

Nice tone and playing there man!

Yes I am, I have seen you too! :P

I used 2 fireballs for this with XXL and Tread cab. Other than that it was the typical chain, od-comp-gate. The trick is that I spent crazy amounts of time with the EQ's so I can get my tone closer to his.

I was guessing the F Ball! My first tone matching attempt, I looped the beginning of Rainbow Gravity and I used the F Ball with the the Solo 100 pre

POD HD PRO + HD METAL PACK

Remastered Marshall® JCM800 (Model 2204)

Schecter Blackjack C1 with pickups Seymour Duncan pickups : Nazgül & Sentient.

I recorded with the camera of my Samsung Galaxy S5. It's only a test :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4612d8mCw

Very nice.

Thanks George. The high gain stuff seems like the hardest to dial in, but it's getting easier.

Well, in my opinion it is definitely the hardest, indeed. This kind of music is really unique and "demanding".

I love this topic! It's great to hear what people can do with this stuff. And as much as I love this topic, I always end up feeling a bit hesitant to share because the vast majority of tones people share are Hi Gain 7 & 8 string "ka-chugga" stuff. And I have a hard enough time with 6 strings! And I don't do much Ka-Chugga.

But if we are speaking only of our favorite tones created with the Pod, I got a couple that I like. I took out vocals and tried to boost the guitar parts so they are more prominent. That process screws up the tone but I think you'll get the idea.

Both songs are done with a JTV-69 

All of the acoustic and sitar stuff is JTV as well.

Song 1

Song 2

• Upvote 2

Lets make a thread posting the best tone that each of us has ever succeed with the Pod HD, despite the kind of music!

I will start! This is my best tone: http://soundcloud.com/giwrgos-andrhs/periphery-the-bad-hing-guitar-cover

I just listened to this clip through my Beats headphones! WOW! That is some serious Ka-CHUNK! I think you found the "brown note"  :o ! I felt that in my bowls! Nice going!!!!!

Tboneous, that sounds excellent! I am always amazed the different ways (tone, style, interpretation etc) a guitarist can approach his/her instrument...

Thanx! 

I love this topic! It's great to hear what people can do with this stuff. And as much as I love this topic, I always end up feeling a bit hesitant to share because the vast majority of tones people share are Hi Gain 7 & 8 string "ka-chugga" stuff. And I have a hard enough time with 6 strings! And I don't do much Ka-Chugga.

I liked the idea also! I thought it would be great sharing our best tones no matter the kind of music! But I guess people didn't like it. I wish this thread had more participation...

Anyways, there's nothing to feel hesitant about. Everyone can appreciate a good tone, despite the kind of music! And both of the samples you gave us are absolutely fantastic! Great production, songwriting and playing! Good job!

• Upvote 1

I just listened to this clip through my Beats headphones! WOW! That is some serious Ka-CHUNK! I think you found the "brown note"  :o ! I felt that in my bowls! Nice going!!!!!

Thanx! 

Wow, didn't expect that! Thanks for the kind words man! 

I wish this thread had more participation...

Me too. I tried to start a similar thead about a year ago and it went nowhere. It's funny, the "Line 6 sucks and I'm leaving" threads where people call each other "A-holes" seem to go on forever but a thread that asks for creative participation, a sharing of tone, strategy and musical process has a hard time getting traction. That to me is very unfortunate. Thanx for the kind words! Keep the tones coming!
  • Upvote 2

Me too. I tried to start a similar thead about a year ago and it went nowhere. It's funny, the "Line 6 sucks and I'm leaving" threads where people call each other "A-holes" seem to go on forever but a thread that asks for creative participation, a sharing of tone, strategy and musical process has a hard time getting traction. That to me is very unfortunate. Thanx for the kind words! Keep the tones coming!

This is so true and sad at the same time...

Ok. I'll bite. After all, this is what it's all about.

That's a nice song you have there, the first link, called finish-2. Original?

Here's a heavily processed clean tone that I find myself reusing in several of my songs, with minor tweaks each time. This one, Ekpyrosis, uses this tone the most prevalently, along with a bass and drum track. Very simple and short.

The attached patch should work on other pods besides an hd500x.

Ekpyrosis.zip

Ok. I'll bite. After all, this is what it's all about.

Here's a heavily processed clean tone that I find myself reusing in several of my songs, with minor tweaks each time. This one, Ekpyrosis, uses this tone the most prevalently, along with a bass and drum track. Very simple and short.

Welcome and thanks for your participation! That's a really interesting tone and song! I don't think I have ever listened to anything similar!

• Upvote 1

Nice work . . sounds like King Crimson after spending a few months in the Middle EastOk. I'll bite. After all, this is what it's all about.

Here's a heavily processed clean tone that I find myself reusing in several of my songs, with minor tweaks each time. This one, Ekpyrosis, uses this tone the most prevalently, along with a bass and drum track. Very simple and short.

Attached Files
  •  
  • Upvote 2

Welcome and thanks for your participation! That's a really interesting tone and song! I don't think I have ever listened to anything similar!

Thanks! That's a big compliment calling it unique.

Nice work . . sounds like King Crimson after spending a few months in the Middle East.

Thanks. Never heard of King Crimson before, so I took a quick listen. Wasn't expecting something so old, but I found some of their melodies and composition very interesting.

Original. At this point it is a song idea. Haven't finished it yet which is why it's called Finish-2. Actually the full name of the song is  "Finish What You Started A$$ Wipe!" It's a personal issue that I have.

I like the tones and I wanted a track that really used the Variax. 

Now on to the meat of this post....THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!!! 

Very Cool! Excellent! Excellent Excellent contribution my man! No offense to the Ka-Chugga Djent Djent crowd, but it is refreshing to hear something other than that for a change. 

Do you do that live?

Do I detect a whammy pedal or is that strictly whammy bar?

Good Job!

Let's keep 'em coming people!

• Upvote 3

Original. At this point it is a song idea. Haven't finished it yet which is why it's called Finish-2. Actually the full name of the song is  "Finish What You Started A$$ Wipe!" It's a personal issue that I have.

I like the tones and I wanted a track that really used the Variax. 

Now on to the meat of this post....THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!!! 

Very Cool! Excellent! Excellent Excellent contribution my man! No offense to the Ka-Chugga Djent Djent crowd, but it is refreshing to hear something other than that for a change. 

Do you do that live?

Do I detect a whammy pedal or is that strictly whammy bar?

Good Job!

Let's keep 'em coming people!

Glad to share.

I like the Djent stuff in very small doses. More than that and it quickly becomes monotonous. I do like Djent tones though.

Used to perform live in a cover band when younger, but it was always a horrible disaster. No stage presence. So, no, that's studio work.

No whammy pedal, but there's some mild use of the whammy bar in a couple of spots.

One of my other songs, Prime Vinculum, uses a pitch glide, but I tied to mix to the exp pedal instead of the pitch, to give some note a sort of blooming type effect.

This patch will only work on a hd500x or pro x.

PrimeVinculum.zip

I don't know that this is my best tone ever, but it's one I use a lot. It's a "super strat with EMGs on neck p-up into Blue Comp, Divided by 13,  tube comp, delay and verb. The rhythm sound is parameters dialed back for clean and the lead is gains up a bit, probably with extra verb and delay, all controlled with the pedal.

This is on the looper at max length, one pass for rhythm and one for lead (so don't judge my sloppy playing!)

https://soundcloud.com/billlorentzen/patch-sample-pod-hd-divided-by-13

This one below is my most used patch. Same amp and rhythm sound as other patch, but this one is on the middle p-up and has a Tube Screamer instead of the Blue comp up front. Again this is all controlled by the pedal, so I can go from clean rhythm to full lead by just rocking the pedal. I showed a little more of my go-to basic clean rhythm sound here.

https://soundcloud.com/billlorentzen/patch-sample-2

• Upvote 1

This is on the looper at max length, one pass for rhythm and one for lead (so don't judge my sloppy playing!)

This is a thread about sharing, not judging! Your playing is fine. You've got good touch. The tone is good. I noticed you mentioned a tube comp, blue comp and a screamer. Where in the chain are you placing your comps?

re-sharing below vid with direct sound from console (live performance)...

full set of vids with jtv+hd500 live direct-->console  here.

patches with full analysis 'n dtls  here and here.

currently doing studio work with jtv+hd500; 1st song released here (all guitars recorded with jtv+hd500 direct); will post others asap...

last but not least, here is an attempt 2 model the famous Alvin Lee's 335 "Big Red" (workbench hd jtv patch provided)...

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7xdt654x8qgke8q/AlvinLeeBigRed-improvisation.wav

i think jtv+hd500 can really deliver great tones.

what do u think fellas?

enjoy :D

• Upvote 2

http://www.ChildrenOfTheGraveBand.com/SatanIsA.mp3

This is still a rough mix of an original our band is putting together.  Old School style recording methods.  PODHD into fx return of Marshall amp and cab return into SM57 mic into an analogue board into a DAW.

Cool! Can definitely hear the Black Sabbath influence in both tone and writing. And the tone is quite good. I'd imagine there's vocals throughout?

This is a thread about sharing, not judging! Your playing is fine. You've got good touch. The tone is good. I noticed you mentioned a tube comp, blue comp and a screamer. Where in the chain are you placing your comps?

First patch uses just one path, with The Blue Comp first then amp, then the mixer, followed by the Tube Comp.

Second patch uses dual paths (controlled by a pan pedal up front), one with a Blue Comp and the other with the Screamer, then the mixer, then amp, then Tube Comp. Probably just from studio habit, I tend to place comps as I would in the real world; although you could do it, I doubt anyone carries an LA2A (the tube comp) in their guitar rack, so I put it in the "mix" section of the Pod, with the delay and verb and that kind of stuff. Using multiple comps in series is a studio trick to avoid pumping (audible compression drop and then surge back).

First patch uses just one path, with The Blue Comp first then amp, then the mixer, followed by the Tube Comp.

Second patch uses dual paths (controlled by a pan pedal up front), one with a Blue Comp and the other with the Screamer, then the mixer, then amp, then Tube Comp. Probably just from studio habit, I tend to place comps as I would in the real world; although you could do it, I doubt anyone carries an LA2A (the tube comp) in their guitar rack, so I put it in the "mix" section of the Pod, with the delay and verb and that kind of stuff. Using multiple comps in series is a studio trick to avoid pumping (audible compression drop and then surge back).

Why amp after mixer? I've seen that and don't understand the difference.

No vocals yet.  The mp3 I did is a quick rough mix so everyone can learn the song and the singer can develop the vocals.  I play all the parts then hand it out to everyone so they can learn them and add their own influences. 

There's is no EQ on the guitar except for a small amount of low end roll off due to mic boominess.

Why amp after mixer? I've seen that and don't understand the difference.

Due to the routing scheme, when you break into 2 paths, the paths have to go straight into the mixer. If I had enough processing headroom or a 500X, I could probably use 2 amps, one for each path, but it works fine with one amp after the mixer.

Due to the routing scheme, when you break into 2 paths, the paths have to go straight into the mixer. If I had enough processing headroom or a 500X, I could probably use 2 amps, one for each path, but it works fine with one amp after the mixer.

Even though there are 2 paths, the amp can still be in front of the mixer.

Even though there are 2 paths, the amp can still be in front of the mixer.

I'd love to know how you do that? Im talking about using a single amp, not an amp on each path. I know I could do that, but I don't have the headroom with all the fx I need.