Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Coma

Dedoxinator

I have had my Spider Jam for almost 2 years now, an excellent piece of kit. However, it would cut out and reboot for no reason with increasing frequency. It recently got to the point where it would just continually switch off and reboot and was therefore totally unusable. I have tried all the combinations of SD card issues, but to no avail.

So yesterday, I eventually decided that I would open it up and see if there were anything obviously wrong inside. No parts were overheating. I checked all the connections were tight. I even separated a couple of capacitors that were touching, which seemed to me a likely source of trouble.

When I put it back together, it seemed to be working fine  :D . Had I fixed it? :rolleyes:  But after 20 minutes of playing it cut out and rebooted :huh: , but did keep going for another 20 minutes before I decided to stop playing and switched off. -_-

This morning it was back to switching off and rebooting continuously again    :blink:  

I decided to try reflashing the firmware, as suggested online. I put in a new SD card with the fw.bin file freshly downloaded. Switched on and got the 'rebooting from SD card' message JUST THEN THE SPIDER CUT OUT AND TRIED TO REBOOT!!! :angry:

I remembered how the instructions for updating firmware stated 'Note: Do not turn off power in the middle of the update!'   :(

I switched everything off and tried again and once more got the 'rebooting from SD card' message, then SpiderJam logo, and finally Line6 logo..... There the story ends, nothing happens and I am left mourning the coma/death of my pet Spider. It just sits there displaying its Line6 logo proudly, unable to do anything  :(

My nearest Line6 service centre is a few hundred miles away in another country.

Has anyone any ideas how I might bring the Spider back to life?

I have had my Spider Jam for almost 2 years now, an excellent piece of kit. However, it would cut out and reboot for no reason with increasing frequency. It recently got to the point where it would just continually switch off and reboot and was therefore totally unusable. I have tried all the combinations of SD card issues, but to no avail.

So yesterday, I eventually decided that I would open it up and see if there were anything obviously wrong inside. No parts were overheating. I checked all the connections were tight. I even separated a couple of capacitors that were touching, which seemed to me a likely source of trouble.

When I put it back together, it seemed to be working fine  :D . Had I fixed it? :rolleyes:  But after 20 minutes of playing it cut out and rebooted :huh: , but did keep going for another 20 minutes before I decided to stop playing and switched off. -_-

This morning it was back to switching off and rebooting continuously again    :blink:  

I decided to try reflashing the firmware, as suggested online. I put in a new SD card with the fw.bin file freshly downloaded. Switched on and got the 'rebooting from SD card' message JUST THEN THE SPIDER CUT OUT AND TRIED TO REBOOT!!! :angry:

I remembered how the instructions for updating firmware stated 'Note: Do not turn off power in the middle of the update!'   :(

I switched everything off and tried again and once more got the 'rebooting from SD card' message, then SpiderJam logo, and finally Line6 logo..... There the story ends, nothing happens and I am left mourning the coma/death of my pet Spider. It just sits there displaying its Line6 logo proudly, unable to do anything  :(

It's sad to hear about your SJ Coma ordeal. Is it possible the power switch is at fault? I seem to remember people saying those types of power switches aren't very durable. Of course I could be way off. Could also be an intermittent issue with the power supply. These parts are available at fullcompass.com. Although, like you said it powered down while reinstalling the firmware so I'm not sure it it's recoverable since that happened. Maybe someone with more knowledge will shed some light on it.

No it can't be power switch or supply. They power is being supplied fine - the Line6 logo is illuminated in the LED And the tap button is on, but not flashing.

None of the controls work though, and apart from a click from the speaker upon powering up there is silence.

Thanks for your sympathy.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have any idea how much storage was left on internal memory ??? Cutting off sound like a bad cord or wall plug overload ( not a expert here )

1)i would do a reset....2) then a OEM firmware 1.04..  I was able to put life back in my SPIDER JAM model.

no need to backup recording at this point there gone.