Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

cab settings

MIKEY9966

So I just got the DT 25 to use with pod 500. For some reason the cab settings don't work. I can not hear any change in sound with any of the setting. Would a restart help and if I did a restart would I lose the new model packs. Thanks

So I just got the DT 25 to use with pod 500. For some reason the cab settings don't work. I can not hear any change in sound with any of the setting. Would a restart help and if I did a restart would I lose the new model packs. Thanks

I'm pretty sure if your using L6 link in Studio Direct mode your cab settings should be working. You could try restarting. You should not lose model packs by restarting it.

Are you using the pre version of the amp on  he HD as recommended for the DT series? If so there is only preamp modeling, no power amp, no speaker and no mic modeling. Only the full versions have power amp, cab and mic modeling and I wouldn't expect it would sound right to send modeled power amps and speaker into real power amps and speakers. I know that full models sounded like crap when I tried them with a tube power amp and speaker cabinet, the pre versions sounded great in that system though.

-Max

• Upvote 1

Are you using the pre version of the amp on  he HD as recommended for the DT series? If so there is only preamp modeling, no power amp, no speaker and no mic modeling. Only the full versions have power amp, cab and mic modeling and I wouldn't expect it would sound right to send modeled power amps and speaker into real power amps and speakers. I know that full models sounded like crap when I tried them with a tube power amp and speaker cabinet, the pre versions sounded great in that system though.

-Max

Sorry but please keep your facts straight. Th POD HD is complex and confusing enough all by its self.

When using pre amps there ARE Cab models as well as the Cab DEP's.

There are of course no Amp DEP's since they belong to the power amp models.

The mic models don't work in this configuration (although I'm almost sure they do work through the XLR out)

• Upvote 1

Sorry but please keep your facts straight. Th POD HD is complex and confusing enough all by its self.

When using pre amps there ARE Cab and Mic models as well as the Cab DEP's.

Glad you saw that "T". I should've picked up on that. I think the OP needs to check and be sure his Pod settings are set to Studio Direct Out. I think the other output settings such as Combo Front omit the cab settings.

Glad you saw that "T". I should've picked up on that. I think the OP needs to check and be sure his Pod settings are set to Studio Direct Out. I think the other output settings such as Combo Front omit the cab settings.

I'm afraid that isn't true either.

Connecting the PDO HD to a DT-25 amp sets the POD to "Combo Powe Amp" automatically.

The cab settings still work in this configuration.

It seems changing the mic doesn't change the sound though.

Connecting the PDO HD to a DT-25 amp sets the POD to "Combo Powe Amp" automatically.

I suppose I'm going to be able to brush up on this since my DT50HD just got back home from the 3rd trip to Line 6 warranty repair late yesterday. I'm afraid my memory on the DT details have faded from all the warranty issues I've been having, lol. The first half of this year my DT has spent more time traveling around the US than I. Uuuuugh. I'm starting to feel nervous just flicking the power switch.

To the OP if you haven't started brushing up reading the manuals I suggest you go at it and look like I might even have to, lol.

I'm starting to feel nervous just flicking the power switch.

That's not cool  :(

I've had no trouble with my DT25, hauling it to rehearsals once a week and gigging every now and then.

Only one melted tube B)

Hey T,

Question... If the POD automatically changes to Combo Power Amp mode using L6Link and the output modes are global, does this change my balanced and unbalanced outputs too? Even if my original global output was set to Studio/Direct?

Thanks

The first half of this year my DT has spent more time traveling around the US than I. Uuuuugh. I'm starting to feel nervous just flicking the power switch.

You're not one with an adverse tendency, possibly genetic, that your very presence causes technology to forget its function? :lol:

Seriously, I hope it works for you. And keeps working.

You're not one with an adverse tendency, possibly genetic, that your very presence causes technology to forget its function? :lol:

Seriously, I hope it works for you. And keeps working.

Thanks, I hope it works and keeps working too, lol. As for me being nervous to flick the switch, that comes from a user/consumer stand point, lol.

As for my genetics, they're made up of farmers, techs, fabricators, machinist's, mechanics, carpenters and masons. They go back a long ways but it looks like I'm the only one left in this line as they've all seemed to pass away all at the same time a while back. Bless them all.

I'll be firing up the DT50HD soon, to see what gives.

yes... whatever the output mode is applies to ALL outputs.

Hey T,

Question... If the POD automatically changes to Combo Power Amp mode using L6Link and the output modes are global, does this change my balanced and unbalanced outputs too? Even if my original global output was set to Studio/Direct?

Thanks

Hey T,

Thanks

I would think so yes but I must add that I have never checked that.

Best way to know would be to try it out  ;)

When using pre amps there ARE Cab and Mic models as well as the Cab DEP's.

Sorry if you found that a little misleading.

Now to keep your response from being misleading also:

To be technically correct the output mode controls what is modeled. According to the diagram that I saw only studio/direct uses the cab and mic modeling. Also it is a fact that the pre models were developed specifically for using with the DT series amps because they have power amps and speaker in them and only need a preamp model. Think about the signal chain, for a real amp setup you have preamp -> power amp -> speakers -> mic. In the case you provided your signal path is preamp -> speaker model -> mic model -> power amp -> speaker -> mic. It just seems like this setup is going to put two stages into the path that will effect the tone. Why put models in when you are actually using the real thing?

-Max

I've been brushing up a bit scanning through the manuals so I figured I would add a part of the HD500 Manual which is pertinent. I usually use the stack front or stack power. I want to try out the 4 cable method soon.

Output%20settings%20HD500.jpg?psid=1

Sorry if you found that a little misleading.

Now to keep your response from being misleading also:

To be technically correct the output mode controls what is modeled. According to the diagram that I saw only studio/direct uses the cab and mic modeling. Also it is a fact that the pre models were developed specifically for using with the DT series amps because they have power amps and speaker in them and only need a preamp model. Think about the signal chain, for a real amp setup you have preamp -> power amp -> speakers -> mic. In the case you provided your signal path is preamp -> speaker model -> mic model -> power amp -> speaker -> mic. It just seems like this setup is going to put two stages into the path that will effect the tone. Why put models in when you are actually using the real thing?

-Max

I agree I wasn't totally correct with my explanation but I rectified that in a later post. :wacko:

Should have corrected the original as well, will do so in a minute. ;)

The fact is that using the POD HD with Line6 Link connected to a DT25, the POD will switch to Combo Power amp mode.

In this mode the Cab simulation DOES work, together with the DEP's. It's very noticeable.

On the other hand the mic simulation doesn't work in this mode.

I guess Line6 thought it would be good to simulate different speakers, even though it's finally going through a real cab. Otherwise you would wind up using all amp models through the same cab voicing (the real one). 

On the other hand simulating a miced cab isn't really useful since you would mice the cab for real if necessary anyway.

Actually I believe the mic model does work through the XLR out of the DT25, thus simulating a miced cab when going straight to the desk from the DT (not 100% sure about this one).