Photo

Let's Put Together A List Of Obvious Things That Line6 Could Have Fixed With The Hd500x

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 meambobbo

meambobbo

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

ideascale is a joke until i see a single item completed on there.  just a more visible replacement for the "product feedback black hole" they used to have.

the list of things that users found poorly designed about the Pod HD is too lengthy to list here.  these things have been known for a long time.  so have the wishlist amps/cabs/features.  at this point, i'd be surprised if L6 resolves a single issue.  they have other priorities, apparently.

i got a Kemper and much prefer it.  10x as good is probably about accurate, at least for the amp/cab profiling and raw tone.  there's a lot of crazy profiles out there, but on the whole, I find most of them sound as good as the best of the Pod's amp sims.  Once you start tweaking them, they absolutely murder the Pod in terms of sounding like a real amp.  it has all the features that were missing in the Pod and none of the issues.  It just doesn't have a looper.  But the Pod does and can serve as a MIDI controller + additional FX, some of which the Kemper doesn't have.

the price is certainly unfortunate but worth it considering it solves all the GAS and frustration of the Pod.

Pod HD Tone Guide and Patches

#62 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11099 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

meambobbo - I'm glad you found something you prefer, given you were experiencing frustration with the Pod.

I don't know whether this means we'll be seeing less of you here, but I hope not. Your contributions here have been substantial, particularly your excellent and detailed online Pod HD guide. Let me take this opportunity to thank you again for that, and to say I hope that you can leave it available online for Pod users (and perhaps even to continue to maintain it if/when new firmware is released that might impact the guide).

For readers who may not yet have seen meambobbo's great work:

http://www.foobazaar...odhd/toneGuide/

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#63 djspleen

djspleen

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLancaster County, PA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

I scanned the multiple pages of this topic and didn't see this mentioned...so hopefully it hasn't already been discussed/slammed/shot down multiple times already.

My suggestion:

How about an "undo" button somewhere in the edit software?  For all those times when we (I) say, "Hey, I wonder if THIS will sound better.....EWW!!...I'd better go back to what I just had...oh dang...where was that button set at?"

And a question

Why is a power button such a big issue to the OP?  You want it off, unplug it.  You want it on, plug it in.  No big whoop.  *shrugs*

#64 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11099 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

There is an 'undo' feature. It's called RECEIVE SELECTED. That command recalls the preset currently stored in the HD500. As long as you haven't saved the changes you made in Edit by using the SEND command, all changes made in Edit are undone.

.... John Lennon

#65 djspleen

djspleen

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLancaster County, PA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Yes, that's true, silverhead.  As long as the tweakings were saved along the way that should work fine. 

#66 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11099 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

I see - you're right about that. There is no 'undo the last operation' capability. The RECEIVE will undo all changes since the preset was last saved. So you would have to immediately SAVE each desired change as you go in order to turn the RECEIVE feature into an 'undo last change' feature.

.... John Lennon

#67 bignath

bignath

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMt Gambier, South Australia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

love the idea on the first page of this thread of different coloured footswitch lighting to indicate the "family" of fx used on a patch.

I reckon that's a great idea.

Currently, I have used a "brother labeller" to create labels and stuck them on the slope underneath the footswitches to indicate what turns what off and on again. (I only use a handful of fx, and always put the same fx to the same footswitch).

The other things i'd like to see are the ability to remove the looper from the fx chain so you can free up another fx slot.

This may be possible, I just haven't been able to find out how to do it.

On my 500x the looper is the last in the chain, and it's always there, with no obvious way to remove it. (I don't use the looper function at all).

The other thing i'd like to see is the hd edit software program be able to export the patch settings to a datafile that could be opened in a spreadsheet.

At the moment for the half a dozen patches that I will use live, I have written them down on a spreadsheet template I've created so I can take them to a gig in my bag, just in case I do something wrong and stuff up a patch. Or, in case the unit loses a patch by itself, or resets or whatever....

Also, having them written down on paper, means I can compare visually at a glance the differences between patches that I might want really similar, but maybe with more/less gain, more fx presence....that sort of thing. Would love to see an export feature implemented.

Not sure if it would be usefull for others, but if you would like a copy of my template, message me, and i'll email it to you.

I'll also start a new thread with the template as an attached file.

GEAR STUFF:

PRS Custom 22 w/Birds - MIM 60's Players Strat - Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - POD HD500X - Ungodly amount of stomps....

"1 - Cut a hole in a box. 2 - Put your junk in the box. 3 - Make her open the box......and that's the way you do it" - D!#k In A Box (The Lonely Island)

#68 liveman

liveman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

I agree bignath about exporting would be so useful.  I think they should have made their tone files xml.  That way you could dive in with a text editor and copy favourite chains and paste to other patches.  I think you'd also see a lot more homebrew apps like http://www.jzab.de/content/pod-hd.  

#69 Buckethead85

Buckethead85

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

I totally quote the DeanDinosaur and meambobbo point of view, line6 has other interests, at this point, things like the weird eq should have alreay been fixed. Ideascale is useless, nothing on that forum has been considered since now. It is really a pity because with some adjustments the pod hd500 could have been a really great unit. Personally i think i will not buy any other products of line6 if something does not change, but it is a waste of time to continue to complain about this upgrade/support thing if nobody of the staff care about that.

The list of the author of this topic could be even bigger, the main issues are well known and they are the important things, we can't add things to fix just because they come to our mind. IMO: eq fixes, clip meter, dual cab micing or dual mic for one cab, power switch(would be better to have it), phase and clipping issues.

What i mean is that i understand if someone blames line6 for putting % instead of Hz, because is just nonsense to do something like that, but things like the flimsy power supply may have a reason to be like that. I hope i've explained well what i meant. Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users