Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Relative Value

radatats

I've read a number of threads and opinions on the value of the new model packs and even of the HD modeling itself.  I have my own opinion and certainly believe everyone is quite capable of forming their own without my input.

However, I was just saw a new "model pack" from Roland for their Blues Cube amp.  Apparently they went to Eric Johnson's studio and modeled his clean and high gain amps and are offering this as a limited edition plug in complete with his exact settings.  Neat little marketing ploy where it comes as a physical plug in module in the shape of a real tube complete with an octal pin plug.  They are only going to make 300 of them and they charge $299.

So lets compare model packs: 

Roland Eric Johnson Tone Capsule - 2 new amp/cab models - $299

HD Fully Loaded Bundle - 24 new amp/cab models - $99

Lets go with the amps themselves

Blues Cube Artist 1 X 12 - 2 channel SS amp with 1 model, reverb and tremolo - $899

Line 6 DT25 1 X 12 - 2 channel hybrid tube with 8 models (free upgrade to choose from 20+ models) and multiple reverb models - $999

Lets just say I'm happy with the relative value I get from Line 6...

• Upvote 2

I agree that Line 6 offers a great value for what they charge, it's the main reason I've stuck with them for a decade rather than defect to Axe-Fx or Kemper like many others have chosen to do. The DT's must be selling like hotcakes though, I haven't been able to get my hands on a 2x12 yet because they are always sold out!