Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IRs In studio direct mode

aerosol_d7

I think you'd be hard pressed to find exactly where this info comes from. It's written by someone who owns a POD, with keen observation skills, knowledge about guitar systems in general (real or modeled), and an ability to write an easily understandable and concise guide. The actual info probably comes from those things and I would guess even these forums. So there is no single official source he gets that info from.

I d like to see where/what is the source of this info. Thanks in advance

Page 2-8 of the HD500 Advanced Guide provides this information. 

Page 4, Setup: Output Options

The Mode setting on this page allows you to configure the type of signal fed to your POD HD500 analog outputs to optimize for direct recording versus connecting to an external amplifier. Note that this Mode setting affects the signal fed to several POD HD500 outputs: Balanced, Unbalanced & Phones outputs as well as USB Record Send & L6 LINK audio outputs.   Knob 1 selects the  Output Mode. This is a global setting.

• Studio/Direct: Typically the best option when connecting “Direct†to a mixing console or recording device. This signal includes “Studio†Cab Models, Mic Model and an “AIR†convolution to best emulate a mic’ed amp within a room.

• Combo and Stack settings: Optimizes your tone for connecting to an external amplifier. The signal includes “Live†Cab Models, with no Mic Model or “AIR†convolution, with a special EQ curve added for each.

• Combo Front & Stack Front: For connecting into the front input of a typical  combo amp or amp head + external cab, respectively. When choosing either of these Modes, you’ll see the following additional options for further tone shaping:

• Lows (Knob 2): Attenuates the low frequencies.

• Focus (Knob 3): Increases the overall midrange.

• Highs (Knob 4): Attenuates the high frequencies.

• Combo Power Amp & Stack Power Amp: For connecting to the power amp of a  combo or head amp.

Meambobbo took this basic info and elaborated on it, explaining in more understandable terms what is actually going on in the POD.  What he is saying is the POD uses cab/mic modeling (IR's) for use with FRFR systems (Studio Direct).  There is no need for the IR if you are using a real physical guitar speaker and cab so they came up with some other options for us (Combo or Stack).  These use various EQ's to help us get our physical guitar cab to emulate a different cab.  These are further broken out depending on whether you are going into the amp's guitar in (Combo Front or Stack Front) or the FX Return (Combo Power Amp or Stack Power Amp)

Hope that helps...

Hahahahahahahaha... by the time I finished writing my post Hurghanico beat me to it!

• Upvote 1

There is no need for the IR if you are using a real physical guitar speaker and cab so they came up with some other options for us (Combo or Stack). These use various EQ's to help us get our physical guitar cab to emulate a different cab.

Is that your opinion ? I don't really agree.

Anyway, Thanks a lot guys

Is that your opinion ? I don't really agree.

Anyway, Thanks a lot guys

Please elaborate what don't you agree with? Are you saying that you don't think the information that Line 6 put in the manual is correct, or that forum members are misreading what it means?

I think you are failing to get your assumptions validated here and instead of reconsidering your assumptions of how the software works you just ignore any input that doesn't fit what you think might be going on.

I think you may be experiencing confirmation bias  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

-Max

Maybe if you could explain what you are attempting to do with your HD500 someone can help better. How are you running the HD500? What problems are you having getting the tones you are looking for?

IR for AIR is used to simulate the mic in a room the way I understand it. It might sound OK in some situations but I don't find it useful to send modeled power amp, speaker, mic and room into a guitar power amp and cab.

Are you trying to achieve a certain tone or trying to reverse engineer the HD500?

-Max

Or AIR convolution from line6 is specifically for FRFR never for guitar amps, different from IRs in some pedals for guitar amps. I don't really know, just asking.

I think an AIR convolution IS an Impulse Response (IR).  The point of an IR is to simulate a particular guitar speaker and cab response so that a Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) system can produce a similar sound.  If you are already feeding your signal to a real, physical guitar speaker and cab, there should be no reason to apply a simulated response on top of it.

However, Line 6 has created these differing output options to allow you, the user, to decide which sounds best for your particular application.  Obviously the POD can be used with a virtually unlimited combination of gear, from guitars, to amps, to speakers, to cab, and even direct to your DAW.  It is up to you to choose which one you want to use for any given application but the Advanced Guide and my previous post describes what was originally intended by Line 6.

• Upvote 2

I agree with you, thanks.

I was thinking for example if there was a specific type of IR for guitar amps (power amps) instead of eq live voiced cabs. Of course there are many different power amps. In this case line6 DTs would be the base for their tests.

I'm not sure, but maybe DTs already use something better than live voiced cabs.

I personally avoid live voiced cabs even in guitar amps.

Thanks again

So, you're asking if the "Live Voiced" cabs are IR or not IR based. My guess would be the "Live Voiced" cabs from the other input methods are the EXACT same IRs as the "Studio/Direct" cabs, just without the room convolution and with a pre-set, but adjustable EQ curve to keep from the boomy, muddy mess most people get running a cab sim into a real cab. The idea, I think is to be able to model the speaker options somewhat, even with a real cab.

I am not privy to any factory information but from what I have been able to gather from the Advanced Guide, Meambobbo's guide, and other threads along the way, the IR's are only used in Studio Direct.  Meambobbo is pretty specific about that.  He says "live voicing" is nothing more than an EQ treatment.  And that makes sense when you think about what the different output modes are designed for.  Doesn't mean you can't use Studio Direct into a guitar speaker/cab and of course you can turn the cab/mic off for any of these output modes.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#outputModes

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure, if memory serves, that the speaker model is definitely active in the other modes, as switching through cabs changes the sound quite a bit.

I agree that you can choose a speaker model but according to Meambobbo, that is accomplished with EQ, not an IR in other than Studio Direct modes.

"The cab selections in non-Studio/Direct modes use "live-voiced" cabs which are a mild EQ effect designed to make whatever real cabinet you are using sound more like the cab model selected in the cab. Note: although you can change the selected microphone and there is a gap in audio as you change selections, it has no effect on the tone. These are disabled by selecting "no cab"."

• Upvote 1

Yeah the "live mode" cabs are descendants of what the Vetta used to have/has. The old Vetta 4x12 cab had "flatter" speakers in it so the idea was that you could select greenbacks or v30s and the eq would try to compensate and give a sound as if you were using one of those cabs. In practice I was never really a fan of this mode though and always just used "no cab". It's just another sound option, I'm sure in some setups it's that last little extra tweak that makes a good sound great.