Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 Sounds Nasally & Distant. Help!

imJMB

Greetings Line 6ers

A friend of mine has a Line 6 POD HD500, and I've been trying to help him get some Djenty/Periphery type tones out of it, but I haven't been having much luck. I've tried building patches from scratch, downloading the highest rated ones off of the customtone page, and everything just sounds very nasally and distant.

I've upgraded the firmware and all that jazz, still no good.

We've been running the HD500 into an older PA of his. I plugged my Axe-FX into it with the downloaded older Bulb tone just to make sure that it wasn't the PA making it sound poorly, and it's not.

So I'm at a bit of a loss here and hoping any owners could shed some light.

Much appreciation for your time!

The first question is: 

Has he used his pod before? Like, what I mean is, does he know how to adjust some of the configuration settings. Such as - how to set it up when you are going into a pa vs going into an amp, or the GEQ --- the things that aren't related to patches.  

Truth be told, neither one of us have much experience with it. He's just getting back into playing after a hiatus, and it's my desire to help him get back on his feet.

That being said though, I do think I have it set appropriately. 
The switches on the top of the unit near the expression pedal are set as;
Guitar In: Normal
XLR: Ground (not using XLR)
1/4" OUT: Line

And assuming you're referring to the GEQ on the PA, it's all set at noon.

Nope. Not even close. 

This is my suggestion: 

Instead of trying to build sounds, especially specific sounds. Learn how to use the machine first. Toy around with it. Have fun. Learn the basics. 

Owner's manuals are there for a reason. 

Pages 13-16 of the Pilot's Guide

And, I don't think there is an updated OM yet for FW2.6, which means  the Global EQualizer won't be in there. But, the truth is, those other settings will make a huge difference.

Just turn the GEQ off if it is on. 

Which is why I asked your experience level first. 

I could have assumed you knew about that stuff and went into much more advanced stuff. When in reality, tweak the stuff that is found on those pages (as well as a general read of all of the different manuals), and you will most likely fix the issue. 

***and if you bought it used, I suggest doing a factory reset.