Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vintage Pre 'Phase' parameter and Dual Cabs

barneybrown

Hi everyone,

I was playing around with Dual Cabs this evening - sounded fantastic, lots of really interesting and satisfying cab combinations in the HD series.

I was wondering if anybody else had tried using the Vintage Pre 'phase' parameter as a way of eliminating phase sounds when using dual cabs. I tried it out a couple times and there did appear to be a significant change in the sound when the phase was switched from 0 to 180 or vice-versa.

I must read Meambobbo's guide on Dual Cabs next. I'm aware of the spreadsheet describing which empty effect blocks can be added to the signal chain to reduce phase, but was wondering if the Vintage Pre phase parameter could be used instead for most situations.

As I have understood the whole dual cab thing, you can use the Vintage pre EQ phase thingy when you use 2 different amps (that most of the times are completely out of phase with each other), to make them sound better. 

Now, I don't think you can correct the sample differences between a cab/mic combo in a dual amp/cab setup, but it doesn't hurt if you try. You never know. 

Hope this helps.

I must read Meambobbo's guide on Dual Cabs next. I'm aware of the spreadsheet describing which empty effect blocks can be added to the signal chain to reduce phase, but was wondering if the Vintage Pre phase parameter could be used instead for most situations.

Meambobbo gives this subject a good read.  There are various phase differences between cabinets that can be compensated with different effects or mics.  What you are referring to is the 0-180 switch in the vintage pre.  Basically that gives a complete reversal of phase for the path it is applied to.  It does not provide the incremental phase corrections Meambobbo describes but it can be useful in certain situations.  Sometimes you just have to try it and listen although there are advanced techniques for measuring phase you can do within a DAW if really needed.