Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What a difference some fret leveling made!

I have a JTV59 that had some serious fret rattling in the low E & A strings above the 2nd fret and through the 13th fret.  Went over to a friends house to jam, and brought it along with me because this friend has lots of luthier tools/supplies, including fret leveling tools.  We found my 12th fret to be pretty significantly high.  So, we destrung it, filed it down, recrowned it and polished it up again and Viola!  The guitar now plays like a dream with zero fret buzz.  So good in fact, I never even broke out my MIA Telecaster which I had brought to play, nor did I even turn on the modeling on the Variax.  I just played played it straight through the mags into a Princeton Reverb and loved it.  The guitar now has a new lease on life again, all because of a very simple procedure.  So if you have a similar problem, find a luthier with the right tools and it can likely be fixed too.  Made a HUGE difference in how bad I want to play my Variax, no doubt.  Gotta just break down and buy some tools myself....

• Upvote 3