Photo

Exp Pedal affecting the tone

exp pedal gain swell

Best Answer edstar1960 , 23 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

It is if the VOLUME pedal is at the front of the chain before the amp.

Added:

Sorry I didn't answer your second question.  Assuming the VOLUME pedal is only controlling volume and is not assigned as a controller to adjust the DRIVE of the amp model, then you can simply place the VOLUME pedal after the amp to control overall volume level without effecting gain/drive into the amp.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SirRis

SirRis

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hi guys!

So far, I have no problems with my POD HD500X and I actually found my desired tone.. but I only noticed that as I lower the volume through my expression pedal, the gain seems to decrease too. Is that normal? I just don't find it hurting the tone especially when doing swells. Is there any way to fix it? I hope you could help, guys. TIA!

#2 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Registered Products:7

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:07 AM   Best Answer

Added:

Sorry I didn't answer your second question.  Assuming the VOLUME pedal is only controlling volume and is not assigned as a controller to adjust the DRIVE of the amp model, then you can simply place the VOLUME pedal after the amp to control overall volume level without effecting gain/drive into the amp.

Edited by edstar1960, 24 June 2015 - 01:03 AM.

#3 pianoguyy

pianoguyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

There are a lot of things that go into the perceived sound that you hear. Volume is one of them. The same thing should happen if you use the volume knob on your (external) amp. 

Another thing is - the placement of the pedal, as well as what the pedal is actually controlling. 

And it sure would be nice if I could use 500edit on my Android Phone or Android Tablet to manage my Pod when not at home.

Even if it needs to be a '500 Lite' version that only allows for the import and export of patches, and not a full-fledged working program.

Something needs done. 

#4 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15768 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Registered Products:15

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hi guys!

So far, I have no problems with my POD HD500X and I actually found my desired tone.. but I only noticed that as I lower the volume through my expression pedal, the gain seems to decrease too. Is that normal? I just don't find it hurting the tone especially when doing swells. Is there any way to fix it? I hope you could help, guys. TIA!

Exactly. Placing the VOL FX at the front of the signal chain is essentially the same as adjusting the Vol knob on the guitar. This can greatly affect the amount of gain in the tone.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#5 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2317 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

Put your volume pedal as the last thing in your chain.  That way it is not changing the signal level hitting any FX or amp block after it.  It will be a plain old volume pedal, gets louder or softer without affecting your tone at all.  It may still SEEM like it is changing it due to the physics of sound and the Fletcher-Munson efffect...

https://en.wikipedia...r–Munson_curves

Quit complaining and DO something or help somebody with their issues...

#6 billlorentzen

billlorentzen

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

Exactly. Placing the VOL FX at the front of the signal chain is essentially the same as adjusting the Vol knob on the guitar. This can greatly affect the amount of gain in the tone.

Not to nitpick, but that's not really accurate. Many guitars' electronics also attenuate highs as the volume knob is decreased. It's more like turning down the input on the amp.

#7 SirRis

SirRis

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

Aaaaand you solved it. Thanks mate! Didn't know about that! Ha ha ha! Does it also work the same way when arranging analog effects in a pedalboard? Thanks again!

however in this case, my favorite volume pedal FX position would be just after the amp model, and not at the end of the chain, in order to not affect abruptly also the following ambience FX (delay and reverb) trails when I turn it down to zero..

I also do like trails for swells so I did the same thing. Thanks btw!

It may still SEEM like it is changing it due to the physics of sound and the Fletcher-Munson efffect...

https://en.wikipedia...r–Munson_curves

Thank you for a very informative answer. I wasn't into physics but that really enlightened my innocent mind. Lol! Cheers!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exp pedal, gain, swell