Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean tones from any amp

billlorentzen

You can get an absolutely clean tone on any amp model if you make sure your guitar signal coming into the HD does not peak higher than about -12dBFS (e.g., measured via USB, turn guitar volume down or lower PUs) and selecting an amp Drive value of 2-10% (traditionally clean amps can use higher numbers) and set Channel Volume so that the amp model output signal reaches but does not exceed -12dBFS peak. If you cannot get Channel Volume of the Amp model adjusted high enough to get close to -12dB peaks add a Studio EQ or a Mid Focus EQ with neutral setting after the amp model to raise the level. Besides getting clean tones this general level checking should also give you balanced volume when you design your tones using this.

As mentioned above avoid using Same or setting Mixer to Center to tame the signal levels if you exceed the -12dBFS peak guidance. I found that any HD model I checked shows signs of compression and soft clipping if either the input or the output significantly exceeds peaks of -12dBFS. Very hot PUs will probably require to dial your guitar volume down to get really clean tones. I don't have such PUs, but I know that my JTV69 Lester 1 connected via Variax hits -12dBFS by just playing single note lines, i.e., if I want a really clean chord I need to dial the guitar volume down.

I get cleans using Guitar/Same with guitar volume at 10 while using humbuckers. 

Just don't pick as hard. That's sort of why we use clean tones -- to lighten the mood, right? 

If I must pick hard, I hit the switch and turn it into a single coil. 

Or, just back the guitar volume down to 8. 

• Upvote 1