Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[POD HD500X] I need help for recording

pedro-aos19

I use my POD HD500X for recording guitar

However, the quality of what i get doesn't seem the best: it sounds always too distorted/gainy compared to what I hear when I play on my amp (Line 6 Spider IV 15).

I really don't know if it is really just too distorted or is it because the built in audio interface quality that it's just not very good

I use a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, connected (with jack cable) to the POD, and the directly via USB to my laptop. I use Audacity and Audition for Recording (I have ASIO installed too)

Don't know why it doesn't sound good... please help, thanks in advance!

Check on the sound card panel (inside your recording program) if the +18db is on, resulting to clipping. 

If not, check your mixer volume, maybe the effect that is after is clipping your signal.

If not, maybe some effects before the amp are clipping your signal. Check for gain.

Also on the deep edit parameter check the master knob, reduce if required.

Finally, make sure your input1 is guitar and input 2 variax.

Come back with results.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your time and help!

However it still looks the same despite all the things you said to try

Maybe it's better if I include the patch and a small sample recording for you to hear what i get...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vlytnndhj76a3lk/Muscle+Museum.5xe (patch)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ec4yf9aca9bu9lz/try1.wav (recording)

(Probably you will say that i have too much gain on my overdrive effect, but I tried to reduce the drive and it still does not come with good quality...)

I tried the patch and everything sounds more or less fine going into reaper. Nothing like what's hear on the wav file.

It does sound like the +18dB record send level in the Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices control panel is checked, overdriving the signal.

When you say you have ASIO installed, what do you mean exactly? Did you install the drivers for the HD500X and select that option inside the recording program?

I tried the patch and everything sounds more or less fine going into reaper. Nothing like what's hear on the wav file.

It does sound like the +18dB record send level in the Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices control panel is checked, overdriving the signal.

When you say you have ASIO installed, what do you mean exactly? Did you install the drivers for the HD500X and select that option inside the recording program?

The +18dB is unchecked. In the windows Control Panel for Sound there's a tab that has a check box for Microphone Intensity... that is also unchecked, if you're wondering (and the levels are at 100% and the volume I get is the one you hear in the wav)

I installed ASIO4ALL and I have PODs drivers all updated. I tried recording with ASIO4ALL option in Audacity, with POD selected, and also tried MME...

I installed Reaper and recorded using ASIO4ALL and ASIO POD HD500X, this is what I got with that patch:

ASIO4ALLv2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3io2ytlftnvbwc4/asio4all.wav

ASIO POD HD500X: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zr469nkzh6vwjd5/asio+pod+hd500x.wav

Not good at all...

I said i'm using guitar - jack cable - pod - usb - pc...

Should i buy and external audio interface like a Focusrite or something and use it to capture from POD or directly the guitar? 

And if you want me to send you something else please feel free to ask

There should really be no need to get another audio interface. Just use the POD's ASIO drivers.

After listening to your two new samples, those are nothing like the first one you posted. I don't really hear anything obnoxiously wrong with either of the last two. It's about what I got when I tried the patch, with all effects enabled as well.

So something changed for the better by using Reaper.

When I tried the patch, I actually thought the tone was good. To clean it up a little, ease off the reverb mix and decay somewhat, and see if getting rid of the early reflections on the amp makes it better. The phaser might be adding a little harshness when turned on, so try backing off the mix a little. To clean it up even more you can back off the gain slightly on the boost comp and overdrive. One thing I always do no matter what is put the cab low-cut DEP at least at 100Hz.

You could try another guitar with the POD to quickly determine wether your pickups/electronics are to

be suspected. Long shot seen as tho you mention there's no problem going into your spider amp.

Did you set the output mode in the POD to Studio Direct ? The padding button comes to mind aswell.

As for the POD's audio interface, it runs natively on the ASIO protocol, and should be quite sufficient

in quality, latency, and reliability to use in any DAW situation. The POD's interface is perfectly fine.