Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x unbalanced output specs (impedance/voltage)

mkeba

Line Level is -10dBV....My guess is that the impedance is typical 10K....Amp level is going to be lower, but I would think the impedance would be the same....As far as I recall the Output Mode doesn't affect the level, just filtering...Line/Amp switch is what changes the level....

You will find max levels in this discussion. The 1/4" and XLR, outputs can go as high as about 25Vpp, but only if you use the CD/MP3 input. For other inputs (Guitar/Aux and Mic) the input stages or data converters clip before the output stage does. Basically the input stages are designed to clip very near 0 dBFS, fullscale on the USB and SPDIF outputs.

Thanks for the replies! The levels I was interested in are needed because I want to customize my old Marshall with no effects loop to introduce a input directly to power amp (bypassing the preamp/tone controls) so I was wondering if the HD500x output signal is going to be strong enough for the Marshall amplification stage.

If you look at the thread I mentioned earlier you can see that the clip levels are very, very high. So the available signal swing itself should be fine. The next question is how big is the signal out of your guitar and how much gain will you need? Gain is easy to get in the HD500.

Thanks for the replies! The levels I was interested in are needed because I want to customize my old Marshall with no effects loop to introduce a input directly to power amp (bypassing the preamp/tone controls) so I was wondering if the HD500x output signal is going to be strong enough for the Marshall amplification stage.

Push/Pull tube amps use a phase inverter that splits the signal wave in half so that each side of the poweramp is amplifying each phase. That being said, the Phase inverter circuit in the Marshall is your standard Long Tail Phase inverter, which will also amplify your input signal quaite a bit. So this should work fine.

As a side note. Line Level signal is +4 dB and instrument Level is -10 dB