9 replies to this topic

#1 Pcraider

Pcraider

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Our band did our first performance with our new line 6 gear last night. We have the M20D mixer and a pair of L3M speakers. (BTW all our gear has that smell too. Made for some accusing looks from some patrons)
Anyway it was a small venue so we only ran the vocals, keys and guitar through the mix. My bass and the drummer (Who is way louder then he should be) didn't go through the board. The sound was great! We had the ipad hooked up and my wife was out front, keeping an eye on me as well as monitoring the sound. So many people came up and commented. (Thank God in a good way) Everything was clear and we sounded better then we ever had. (Got 2 gigs out of it.) Even the band members were like, wow!
Only had one snafu. During one of the guitar players leads on the ipad my wife went to turn him up and that was fine. But when she went to pull him back down the knob kept turning him up instead. She panicked and it got loud. I had the mixer on my bass rig, but had the monitor screen up. So it took me a few moments to find out what the heck went wrong. It's something I have to get used to as well.
Overall I'm so happy with the investment. I can't wait to add the subs and do a full set up with all of us in the mix.
Or if anyone has suggestions to get a stubborn drummer to play softer or a way to lower his volume I'm all ears.

PC

#2 scotterp

scotterp

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Good luck with the drummer issue! We've finally been blessed with one that understands this quite well.

We've had 3 gigs now with the M20D and after each gig (as we've continued to learn and tweak properly) people seek us out to tell us how great we sound. People that have heard us before are saying they've never heard us sound better. 

Setup is now faster than ever as we really don't need to sound check everything as the settings are all saved. It's been great so far.

Scott

#3 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Exact same thing here....right down to the drummer we have that can play quite quiet. We had a loud one. Made home use very thin sticks!

I really like the M20D and it gets better every gig.

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

...Or if anyone has suggestions to get a stubborn drummer to play softer or a way to lower his volume I'm all ears.

http://dggtaser.com

:ph34r:

#5 bassman24

bassman24

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

Rather than tasering your drummer like Ron suggested (Hey, drummer's are just animals as well, Hehe), suggest them to use a pair of these:
http://www.thomann.d...y_rock_rods.htm

Or at least a similar pair of rods, if they are too loud for small venues. If it's too quiet, you can always use mics on bass and snare drum or a pair of overheads and let them run through your PA, just a little bit too just aid the drum sound very lightly.

Regarding Gigs we will have our first one using the M20d next saturday. Looking really forward to it. Still on old HK Soundcaddy speakers. But a combi of L3T's and one L3s (should be sufficient for a acoustic band) will aid the M20d as soon as there's enough money left over for such toys :)

Hey, maybe we can act as Line6 ambassador band to show off the dreamstage equipment. Could anyone of the Line6 guys tell if this will earn us a huge discount on the speakers? We would show off the mixer and speakers and the possibilities of their combination live and add the Line6 logo to our banner and website ;-)

#6 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Pcraider, did you visit the line 6 ideas site.  There is a topic there regarding the touchiness of the volume knobs... make sure to stop and vote for the idea.  This is a very problematic issue.  I posted a comment under the idea stating that they should just change the sensitivity parameter so that in order to go from 0-100%, you would have to touch the knob you want to control and then slide your finger to the very top of the iPad.  This would make for far better precision.

#7 bassman24

bassman24

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Had our first gig with the M20d yesterday. Got a lot of positive feedback about our sound afterwards. The Soundcheck was done within seconds. Looking forward to tinker around with the SD Card recording if the gig tonight in Logic.

Next phase of improving our sound: Replace the HK Soundcaddies with a pair of l3t/m and a l3s.

#8 case67

case67

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Germany

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hi bassman24,

congrats!

Great to hear that M20d did the job and the audience liked the sound.

Kind regards,

case67

#9 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

We'll just back from our regular yearly weekend gig this time with our first outing of the stagescape. Car stunk of weed, if we'd got pulled over probably wouldn't have made the gig.
Anyway, we are a Gospel vocal trio using backing trax some commercial some made by me. I was also playing my acoustic through it some of the time. We have an L2t and L2m. - one of wich I'll use for dream rig when not in PA.

Set up
I had set up the "set up" before we went, 3 mics - 2 male rev 1 fem rev and two line in for the ipad. I use it through an Alesis io dock. Some of our trax split the backing vocals right and music left then when you put them in as two channels you have seperate control. I bought a 32 gb card and a wifi dongle - the misery of finding one that worked is elsewhere here and thanks to this forum. We set up using line 6 link and then went on to the record section and recorded the songs for the first set then I removed the ipad connected it and the three of us went to the usual mixing position up at the back. I recalled the first song and we mixed it when we were happy I saved it as a scene with the song name and we moved on to the next one. Later at performance I just loaded each scene for the corresponding song.

Sound
I have never heard us better. I was hearing musical parts in the backing trax I'd never heard before and the other two loved it. As for the audience, most of them are very familure with our group, we've been every year for five years but they were coming up to me after and saying "that is the best we've ever heard you guys" they didn't know about the equipment they just listen to us.

My point as the mixer
The desk is in front of me so how did I feel compared to our last gig. Well using it was a breeze, I had very little tweaking to do and for example giving the other male a bit more reverb on one lead part was quick and smooth. I use a Quicklok QL 400 rolling mixer stand bought for this. The mixer holding part adjusts and at its smallest setting you would think it was made for the M20d got it from Amazon for £79.99 also got a fantastic flightcase for it from swann for £100 it holds the 20d power cable USB dongle the other two's mics and cables and the power cable and rev pedal. Can't recommend it enough. I carry my mic with my ipad gear not sure I'd have got mine in anyway.
I have one gripe I noticed during the gig and as I only got the desk 2 days before I might be missing something. I use the foot switch 1 to controll rev on/off great, always did this however, there was no indication what state the reverb was in. I was having to use my ears and in the pressure of the gig, talking, singing, starting trax etc it was easy to get confused. In the past a glance at the desk told me exactly what state the reverb was in. A small bypass light.

Overall conclusion
This is the most astounding PA I have ever used. I can't wait to get back out with it. The recording feature is amazing. As a laugh the other guy and me played a song back as the girl was returning to the stage and we mimed. She couldn't beleive how convincing it looked! And they were delighted when I told them the more of our songs we get on tape the less "sound check" singing the'll have to do at other venues. And on the recording side. I make our CDs in my project studio and the girl who sings hates the process it stresses her out. But standing singing live is nothing to her. Our next CD will be recorded through the m20d then I'll use the files to create a polished CD in my studio with cubase - fantastic.

I can't recommend this system highly enough, all my playing life I used to stand on a stage and think I wish I could float up the back and hear how this sounds - now I can.
PP

#10 case67

case67

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Germany

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

Hi petepraise,

we made exactly the same experience on stage as you did.

>As a laugh the other guy and me played a song back as the girl was returning to the stage and we mimed. She couldn't beleive how convincing it looked!

LOL. I will introduce this idea to my gospel choir as a funny idea for a concert: The men miming the girls voices, girls miming the men.

Or children from the audience miming our choir leader :-)

>And on the recording side. I make our CDs in my project studio and the girl who sings hates the process it stresses her out.

>But standing singing live is nothing to her.

Same to us. Live there is so much more energy and density, we can not simulate that in the studio.

>Our next CD will be recorded through the m20d then I'll use the files to create a polished CD in my studio with cubase - fantastic.

Same to us, again. Here is the youtube video from our very first gig with M20d. 

The miking is NOT perfect, sorry, but hey: it was our first gig we PA'ed on our own ....

Kind regards,

case67

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users