2 replies to this topic

#1 gtberger

gtberger

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Do you know if Line6 has a product (or could make one) that could turn any guitar into a quasi-Variax.  I own a pod studio GX and a Variax JTV-59 (among other guitars).  What I would love is a version of pod studio which could give my telecaster the features of a variax (guitar modeling/alt tunings).  Is such a thing possible?  The pod already models amps... why can't it also model the guitars?

#2 katiekerry

katiekerry

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

At one point in time based on the original Variax they had a rack system called the RackVax ( you can google it).  Its the closest to what you are talking about that I have seen.  The problem is the piezo pickup system that picks up each individual string so that it can be digitally processed separately is needed.  I think the Rackvax uses a Midi pickup or something not sure never seen one first hand...

RackVax-Electric_front_and_back.jpg

JTV 59 Tobacco Burst

HD500

Alesis DM10 Studio

#3 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

At one point in time based on the original Variax they had a rack system called the RackVax ( you can google it).  Its the closest to what you are talking about that I have seen.  The problem is the piezo pickup system that picks up each individual string so that it can be digitally processed separately is needed.  I think the Rackvax uses a Midi pickup or something not sure never seen one first hand...

RackVax was the guts of a Variax in a Rack Unit that accepted a 13 pin guitar output (GK-2-A, GK-3, RMC, Ghost) with full midi control of the sound.

The down side was that Line 6 (who didn't make the product) don't supply Variax guts, so the only way to get that bit was to buy a variax and throw the guitar away (or fit magnetic pickups to it).

The website is no longer available, so I suspect that the project is now dead.

To make a reasonable sounding virtual guitar you have to treat each string separately - Line 6 do it by building a guitar into which the transformations take place - Roland do it by having a 13 pin connection that takes a pickup on each string and does the processing in a separate unit.  You can fit the Roland system onto any existing guitar at the cost of running two cables: http://www.rolandus....s/849/features/

The other option is that you take the computing guts from a variax plus a suitable pickup (ghost?) and stick it into a tele body - like this http://www.tdpri.com...telecaster.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users