Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More Videos!!

sinistralx

Amp tones amp tones amp tones.  The UI is astounding, we got that.  Now turn the dial!

Bingo!

I'm tired of hearing about the great UI

What I want to hear are some amp models. Yeah, the Plexi sounds great and so does the Fender amp.

What about the rest of the line up?

And I'm hoping for a Bogner Ecstasy...all 3 channels!

Amp tones amp tones amp tones.  The UI is astounding, we got that.  Now turn the dial!

I have to agree.

The UI is very nice, the routing is fantastic, the USB 8x8 and ReAmping seems to be stellar.  (honestly for a single unit it seems like easily the best on the market for these sections)

Now to the sounds. What we have heard so far sounds great, but we need more. The quality of the Amps/FX are the deal breaker for me. IF they all sound better than my Eleven Rack then its pretty much a sealed deal for me to get one.  It doesn't have to beat the Axe FX, just get us in the same ball park as Kemper, or Axe FX. Then that is sufficient enough for me!

For what it's worth, I'll never tire of hearing about the great UI - it's equally exciting to me.  But I'm already sold on that!

As for the amp tones, I haven't heard anything very compelling yet.  I'm banking on the fact that the Helix will be a great multi-effects pedal and controller (by virtue of that UI) but I'll be REALLY excited if the amp models are on par with recent competition as well.  That driven "Plexi" tone that turns up in every single demo video does nothing for me, personally.  It just sounds like a ton of mid-range.  I need to hear some clips that really call out the character of the amps - kill the effects for a minute and let's hear whatever detail, chime, dimension (and other nearly useless words LOL) the Helix is capable of!  :)

• Upvote 1

I guess I'll finally hear the amp models when my pre-ordered Helix arrives in a month or two. lol

And I'm in agreement. Make some vids showing the models. NO effects. Just the sound of the amp model. Just like I went into the music store and plugged my guitar into the amp to hear it.

• Upvote 1

That driven "Plexi" tone that turns up in every single demo video does nothing for me, personally.  It just sounds like a ton of mid-range.  I need to hear some clips that really call out the character of the amps - kill the effects for a minute and let's hear whatever detail, chime, dimension (and other nearly useless words LOL) the Helix is capable of!  :)

You're not the only one. It's actually borderline nauseating. LOL. Maybe the Plexi amp is supposed to sound like it does in these videos, but the low end mush is really terrible. I mean if someone wants to fart with their guitar, there's probably better ways.

Let's hear some good Vai/Satch lead tones.

Not worried too much though about how the amp models will sound. I'm sure they'll be good, certainly better than the HD, which is good enough for most things. Of more concern is what the effects list is going to look like.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, I'll never tire of hearing about the great UI - it's equally exciting to me.  But I'm already sold on that!

As for the amp tones, I haven't heard anything very compelling yet.  I'm banking on the fact that the Helix will be a great multi-effects pedal and controller (by virtue of that UI) but I'll be REALLY excited if the amp models are on par with recent competition as well.  That driven "Plexi" tone that turns up in every single demo video does nothing for me, personally.  It just sounds like a ton of mid-range.  I need to hear some clips that really call out the character of the amps - kill the effects for a minute and let's hear whatever detail, chime, dimension (and other nearly useless words LOL) the Helix is capable of!  :)

Getting tired and nauseated about the UI hype? ...and the endless conversation about tone?

What about feel ? The dynamic "push-pull" between fretboard, strings, and electronic amplification ? ... the living, breathing relationship between guitarist, amplifier, and tone? What does the "chime, dimension (and all those other things)  feel like?  This is the aspect of modelling that seems the most difficult to share. Subtly nuanced. Yes, some of this dynamic can be heard in the demo vids, and described by a review, but until we can get our grubby hands on one , what about some critical reviews on playing feel

Don't get me wrong- I realize feel doesn't matter if the tone sucks. 

• Upvote 1

Getting tired and nauseated about the UI hype? ...and the endless conversation about tone?

What about feel ? The dynamic "push-pull" between fretboard, strings, and electronic amplification ? ... the living, breathing relationship between guitarist, amplifier, and tone? What does the "chime, dimension (and all those other things)  feel like?  This is the aspect of modelling that seems the most difficult to share. Subtly nuanced. Yes, some of this dynamic can be heard in the demo vids, and described by a review, but until we can get our grubby hands on one , what about some critical reviews on playing feel

Don't get me wrong- I realize feel doesn't matter if the tone sucks. 

You bring up a good point. It's also something that I think is completely subjective. No two brains process the outside world in exactly the same way. It's one of those things that we won't know until, as you say, we get our grubby hands on it. And it's certainly important for people to try and describe, both in words and musically (music is a language too), how it feels to play any given tone from the Helix.

I'll disagree on the last point. Even the tone by itself (assuming you could somehow separate touch dynamics from tone), and even if the tone sucks, adds to feeling. If I have a nice, smooth, luscious, perfectly balanced tone to play with regardless of 'touch feel', it's going to inspire me and change the way I play, likely for the better. If I have a tone that's flabby, nasally, and dead, it might be one of those days to set the guitar down after ten minutes because it just doesn't feel right. Or, turn the sucky feel from a sucky tone around and try and write music that exploits those undesirable qualities into something musically not sucky. Either way, feeling is the underlying component.

• Upvote 1