Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod hd500x to Hifi Stereo Speakers

skyfire26

I am interested in buying a Pod hd500x for home use. My idea was to connect the Pod to my Home Stereo equipment. that would eleminate the need for a new set of speakers.

I run a setup at home like this: Benchmark Dac1 usb as a Preamp,  Inter M R500 plus as a Power amplifier. This is connected to a set of 

Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower speakers.

Question: is it possible to Run the Pod hd500x into this without the risk of harm to my Speakers?

The Reason i wanna go with this setup is because i want to get rid of the amps in my home since i can´t really use them because they are way to loud.. And since I have very limited space to use i dont really have any room left to ad Active studio monitors to the setup.

Any feedback would be great since i don´t have any experiance with this :)

• Upvote 1

Any speakers you connect directly to the Pod need to be active (self-powered) speakers. If your speakers are not active you will need to keep your power amp for the speakers and connect the Pod outputs to the power amp inputs.

I used to hook up my keyboard to my home stereo. Not to the speakers directly, but to the amplifier. I'd plugged in to an open rca channel, flipped the selector switch, and away I go. 

The pod would be the same. 

It must go into an amplifier of some sort, something that will actually power the speakers. 

You run 0 risk of damaging either unit, as long as both units are compatible. Meaning, know what input types you are using in the power section. And in a worse case scenario, you run to Radio Shack and buy a $20 signal converter.  

i run mine into a home hifi surround amp, 4 speakers. 3 years, no problems.

i dont trust the zero risk assessment, so i go thru my pc 1st and have a couple of limiters in my routing.

since the latest firmware uodates there hasnt been any mention of the pods squealing issue, so its pretty safe.

still, there are some mean vol differences between patches, you need to level them out.

I am interested in buying a Pod hd500x for home use. My idea was to connect the Pod to my Home Stereo equipment. that would eleminate the need for a new set of speakers.

I run a setup at home like this: Benchmark Dac1 usb as a Preamp,  Inter M R500 plus as a Power amplifier. This is connected to a set of 

Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower speakers.

Question: is it possible to Run the Pod hd500x into this without the risk of harm to my Speakers?

The Reason i wanna go with this setup is because i want to get rid of the amps in my home since i can´t really use them because they are way to loud.. And since I have very limited space to use i dont really have any room left to ad Active studio monitors to the setup.

Any feedback would be great since i don´t have any experiance with this :)

You should have no problem whatsoever. I've run my BOSS GT-10 and Lexicon MPX-G2 straight into my home stereo and they both sounded awesome. For the Lexi I ran it through a small Mackie VLZ4 12 chan mixer first.

Classe SSP-25, Rotel 985mkii, B&W CDM7se, Paradigm PS1000

Oh yeah, and a Digitech RP1 and a few other gizmo's and could always dial up a great sound. Don't expect it to belt out at the same sound pressures as a wall of Marshalls though ;)

Ha! Most of the plastic buttons had fallen off my RP-1 and I gave it away a friend's son that was learning to play....Amazing that it actually still worked. Mine was pretty old an worn out...I think I got it in 1993 or thereabouts...

• Upvote 1

Running the Pod into your Home Stereo AMP not speakers is ok as long as you don't over drive them.  I have done it and it sounds great at reasonable levels.  I use studio direct mode because my stereo system is a nice full range (like a PA) output.  The acoustic stuff sounds great this way.

Hi you have got some good comments here. I can just summarize my experience in two parts.

I did also run my pod direct into my stereo amp and it worked fine. My experience was that you can easily overload the input on the stereo amp and on hi volume als the speakers. Does not sound good, so start low. 

I also have a Inter M 500 and it’s a very good amp. My rig today i LP/Strat > pedalboard > POD HD Pro > Boehringer UB1622 mixer > Inter M 500 > homemade stereo speakers/passive monitors. To the mixer I also connect my PC for recording and playback (through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6) and I use it as a small PA and have space to add mic’s and more stereo equipment. From the Inter M you can get a lot of power but there is two pots on the fron to set the levels and mine are set to little below 11 o’clock. The rest of the volume I control with the mixer. Or in other words - I did set the mixer controls in optimum position, played somthing nice and the turned the pots on the amp til the loudest I wanted (equal to my neighbors complaining :-). I use it to play guitar at home, as a small PA sometimes, as my stereo and listen to music on it, run backing tracks to play along to...

At my girlfriends house I have a small Roland Cube CM-30, my POD xt and my Variax. Realy neat if space is a problem. Sound just OK and its 30 w so I can play with friend at home.

Summery - You can use your Inter M on your speakers, watch the power rating on the speakers though. If it's convenient or not together with your home stereo, I do not know. It will sound great though.

Just a little review from my rig... Good luck and take care 

//Per

Edit - You can see my show off here>>. Not the speakers, thay are on the other side of  the room...