Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bluetooth Pair Button Modes

RafterRattler

Is there a complete writeup anywhere on the bluetooth button modes and unit capability? Both the specs and BT FAQ online seem to be missing information. For example, can it pair with multiple devices? Can it connect with multiple devices at once (like one for eduting and one for music playback)? Does pressing the blutooth button really put it in pairing mode, or just connection mode?

I frequently switch between iOS and Android tablets, and I have found that when I switch, I can't just turn on bluetooth and have them connect to the FH. I have to make each tablet forget and re-pair. In addition, although it works this way with many BT receivers and speakerphones, just pressing the BT button on the FH doesn't initiate re-pairing even though it is flashing like the FAQ says. I have found I have to hold it for a few seconds until it flashes faster before I can re-pair. Finlly, when I turn the unit on, do I really need to press the BT button to connect, or should the devices automatically connct like a speakerphone? Seems like this should all be documented somewhere.

RR

Not sure of an answer to your questions but I can say that my phone automatically connects to the Firehawk whenever the Firehawk is switched on

I'm using an android phone though not apple.

However I also have to reconnect everytime I minimise the app to look at emails or texts etc

So when you turn your FH on, does the BT light automatically start blinking, or does it stay dark until you press the BT button?

Mine stays dark until I press it - then it connects. I'm using both iOS and Android, same result. I'm now wondering how it's SUPPOSED to work.

BTW, with Android, mine stays connected when I minimize the app. iOS disconnects....which is one reason I prefer the Android version.

Thanks!

Well it's a bit weird to be honest, first few weeks I had it the bluetooth light would always come on when I powered up the Firehawk, but recently a couple of times I've had to press the bluetooth button and then it connects automatically, I'm not sure the reason for this but it could be that I'd been using the Firehawk for a while without the app and it just timed out or it might have been because I switched the bluetooth off on my phone to save battery (I'll keep an eye on it in future)

Interesting what you said about Android staying connected, mine doesn't and I'm finding it annoying to keep reconnecting

Some new info.  While my Android tablet was charging, I did a little playing around with iOS.   Here's what happens once paired, and then I power cycle the FH:

1. If no paired devices are in range or BT is turned off on my iOS device, the BT light on the FH just automatically blinks quickly - indicating pairing mode.

2. If the paired device is in range and BT on the device is on, the FH immediately connects, even though the BT light on the FH starts out off.

3. If an unpaired device is in range and BT on the device is on, the FH blinks slowly, does not connect, and is unavailable to pair.   I'm guessing the slow blink indicates that it is trying to connect.   In order to pair, I have to hold the BT button on the FH for a few seconds until it starts blinking quickly.

Now here's the kicker.  If I UNPLUG the FH completely, then plug it back in and turn it on, the BT appears to be disabled.  It doesn't try to pair, and doesn't connect until I press the BT button.

So:

- BT light off = BT is off, or you just powered the FH on and it is already connecting.

- slow blink = attempting to connect

- fast blink = pairing mode

- solid = connected

Again, shouldn't this be documented somewhere?

So:

- BT light off = BT is off, or you just powered the FH on and it is already connecting.

- solid = connected

Now it is  - Thanks!  ;)

Some new info.  While my Android tablet was charging, I did a little playing around with iOS.   Here's what happens once paired, and then I power cycle the FH:

1. If no paired devices are in range or BT is turned off on my iOS device, the BT light on the FH just automatically blinks quickly - indicating pairing mode.

2. If the paired device is in range and BT on the device is on, the FH immediately connects, even though the BT light on the FH starts out off.

3. If an unpaired device is in range and BT on the device is on, the FH blinks slowly, does not connect, and is unavailable to pair.   I'm guessing the slow blink indicates that it is trying to connect.   In order to pair, I have to hold the BT button on the FH for a few seconds until it starts blinking quickly.

Now here's the kicker.  If I UNPLUG the FH completely, then plug it back in and turn it on, the BT appears to be disabled.  It doesn't try to pair, and doesn't connect until I press the BT button.

So:

- solid = connected

Some additional interesting behavior:

- If you power cycle the FH while it is connected to a device, it will automatically reconnect with the device

- If you power off BT on the device and then power cycle the FH, the FH does not try to reconnect...BT just stays disabled until you press the BT button.

FWIW...

RR

• 2 years later...