Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 500 Input Jack Plate Assembly

Well after years of being very careful, I let the wrong person handle my Variax 500. He (albeit slowly) Dropped it so it landed on the VDI cable that was attached. The VDI now doesn't work and there are NO replacements available. Anyone have one laying around or any suggestions? I've called and spoke to both Line 6 and Full Compass Parts.

Or,....

Log a ticket, get an RMA, and send it here to Line 6. The tech here who

does the old Variax guitars has a couple jack assemblies,... he can install

one (and check other stuff too while he's in it). I just asked him about it.

Modifying a JTV assembly to fit can be done, but it's also a can of worms

if you're not an experienced tech or circuit person.

Thank you all for your advice. After soldering a broken connection I put it all back together and it still didn't work. I found that when I pushed the CAT5 cable I was using it would pop in. Looked inside the socket and found one of the CAT 5 contacts in the housing was somehow pushed (pulled is probably more accurate) in far enough that it wasn't connecting with the cable end. Got a tiny hook and pulled it back. It now works!!! I do think it would be nice if Line 6 would consider having more made or maybe have some kit or instructions on how to convert the JTV jack assembly to work in the older Variax's. The CAT5 output seems to be a big achilles heel for the Variax's and to have a good replacement supply would ensure Line 6's loyal customers (like me) could be using their Variax for the rest of their lives. Just like other "normal" $800 dollar guitars. $800 dollars in my case anyway.

I bet you dollars to donuts that your buddy tried to plug his 1/4 inch jack into the VDI plug.  It is a common reason for the pins being damaged.  The VDI connector is just fine if you have the proper cable with the proper ends on it and you don't stick the wrong things into it.

I bet you dollars to donuts that your buddy tried to plug his 1/4 inch jack into the VDI plug.  It is a common reason for the pins being damaged.  The VDI connector is just fine if you have the proper cable with the proper ends on it and you don't stick the wrong things into it.

I am aware of this particular faux pas as I have done it. It's easy to do and one reason why I think the CAT 5 connection is an Achilles heel in the Variax and therefore, it would be nice if Line 6 had some kind of alternative ready for current and future Variax owners. It's an awful lot of coin to drop on a guitar that this thing could potentially and easily happen to. That event is also where I learned all about the Jack plate assembly. At the time Line 6 actually sent me a whole assembly for free.

In regard to what happened,  I saw him drop the guitar so I know how it occued. And I'm pretty sure I pulled one of the copper connectors into the housing when I was soldering the broken connector. All is well though. Works fine. Which is good since I am considering selling it in the near future.

IT is what it is and we have to live with it.  The JTV door solves the problem for most cases. 

Of course. Everything is what it is. It just would be a nice thing for Line 6 to do. Especially if there is a way to convert the JTV faceplate assembly to an original Variax faceplate assembly. And according to psarkissian it is possible, just difficult. How about a kit that makes it easy? Maybe I'll get a JTV faceplate asssembly and see what I can come up with. I have a little experience and it looks like to me the biggest problem would be finding the parts I would need. How about at least pointing people to where they can go to get them if that's the case. The door would not have saved me from my recent predicament at all.

Of course. Everything is what it is. It just would be a nice thing for Line 6 to do. Especially if there is a way to convert the JTV faceplate assembly to an original Variax faceplate assembly. And according to psarkissian it is possible, just difficult. How about a kit that makes it easy? Maybe I'll get a JTV faceplate asssembly and see what I can come up with. I have a little experience and it looks like to me the biggest problem would be finding the parts I would need. How about at least pointing people to where they can go to get them if that's the case. The door would not have saved me from my recent predicament at all.

Order the entire jack plate assembly at Full Compass - details contained in this thread...

http://line6.com/support/topic/13907-vdi-ethernet-cable/

Older part like that is not available anymore.

Same with other parts for the 500.

Palico's idea is an option.

I know this. I want an option, like how to convert the JTV-69 jackplate assembly to the 500. Did you read the thread or just the original post?

Order the entire jack plate assembly at Full Compass - details contained in this thread...

http://line6.com/support/topic/13907-vdi-ethernet-cable/

I don't need a cable and I'm guessing you haven't read this whole thread. The option discussed in that has been mentioned in this thread.

I know this. I want an option, like how to convert the JTV-69 jackplate assembly to the 500. Did you read the thread or just the original post?

I don't need a cable and I'm guessing you haven't read this whole thread. The option discussed in that has been mentioned in this thread.

Actually I HAVE read both threads entirely. This information I am giving is to help you. A better attitude and some understanding would be appreciated. I would suggest that maybe you didn't read the other thread in it's entirety.

I get that you're after a replacement jack plate cover like you find on the JTVs. The fact that the thread I linked to was asking about a suitable lead is not relevant to our discussion about the jack plate assembly - it's all part of the big picture.

The full compass link to the jack plate assembly is for the JTV version. I have successfully connected this unit to the guts of a 300 and a 600 (in a couple of transplants I did). Lee Steel has fitted one to his 500 successfully. Regardless of psarkissian's opinion that they are not interchangable (with the original 300/500/600 jackplate assembly) as a unit - they indeed are, and apart from buying another 500 for parts, it's your best option. The cover assembly won't be available on it's own.

The other option, which I just completed, is to have Full Compass order the VDI Jack for you (from Line6). You can call FC and talk to the parts guy. You will need to remove the two phillips screws and carefully un-solder the bad jack from its circuit board. Solder wick is the best method to remove solder if you don't have a "sipper" iron. Use as little heat as possible as not to lift the circuitry off the board or you run the risk of ruining it. I would be willing to perform this operation for anyone in need for a nominal charge plus shipping. If you are interested, please feel free to send me a PM.