7 replies to this topic

#1 ruurdheise

ruurdheise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

Bought a brand new G50 last week. Tried it at home: flawless! Even with a 3 layer concrete between sender and receiver, (amp downstairs, me up in the attic), no problem.

First gig last saturday, open air, on a pontoon in the harbor. No signal at all! Only when I plugged it in the "tuner aux out" I had signal. Didn't dare to take my chances, so I had to play unfortunately with my old-fashioned cables! :-(

I thought the "out" caused the problem, but just to be sure before taking it back to the shop,I tried it again at home. No problem at all! Flawless!!

Any ideas? Could the big, all metal pontoon, caused the problem?

Kind regards,

Ruurd

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

We all know "that feeling", Ruurd !  :wacko:  :(  :blink:

...No signal at all! Only when I plugged it in the "tuner aux out" I had signal....

I thought the "out" caused the problem... 

You didn't mention what the "transmitter status" LEDs on top of the receiver were showing when everything was "quiet", but in any case, I am almost certain that the success you had from the "TUNER/AUX" output jack was just a coincidence and so would only have been momentary at best...

...especially since your "normal" "MAIN OUT" jack seems to have "magically" recovered.

So I also feel that going back to your "old-fashioned cables" was a very clever move. (I wish everyone copied you by always having a "Plan B".)

...Could the big, all metal pontoon, caused the problem?

My answer to that is a definite "maybe". (...Aargh !  :angry: )

The thing is that MANY of my maritime wireless broadcast and recording operations over the last forty years (whether in rivers, by the seaside, or afloat on the high seas) have given me RF-related problems.

If it isn't reflections from metal in rigging, hulls, decks and bulkheads, it's merchant and/or naval and/or military microwave and/or radio and/or radar ...blasting out virtually all of the wireless spectrum.

At times the radiation has even been enough to "leak" into cabled systems, ...and my doctor still can't explain why I glow in the dark.  :ph34r:

#3 ruurdheise

ruurdheise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback Ron!

So what is wise to do? Return it to the shop and never play wireless again or just not play wireless on a iron pontoon (another gig on the same spot is coming up in august..)

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

...Return it to the shop and never play wireless again...

As you have already found, Ruurd...

Your G50 is an absolute joy in nearly all "normal" situations. I think you will agree that it would be a crying shame to no longer have that.

...or just not play wireless on a iron pontoon (another gig on the same spot is coming up in august..)

Successful wireless is possible at sea. I know. I've done it many times, but never without special preparation...

...So, if you still want to go wireless aboard the pontoon...

...If at all possible, I feel that it would be vital for you to do some testing on that same pontoon before that next gig.

Rather than taking your instrument and your entire rig for that trial, I would suggest that you first develop a light weight "test kit" to carry with you.

I would do this by
  • Arranging an adapter (or a series of adapters, if necessary) to get a reliable signal from your G50's output jack to either a tiny speaker or a headset or earphones and
  • Experimenting until we get an equally reliable (and similarly adapted) signal from an iPod, iPad, portable radio or other media player (which would become a replacement instrument) into our G50 beltpack transmitter.
(The actual quality of the sound from this arrangement doesn't matter, as we will only be testing for RF strength and continuous reception.)

So what we then try is to find out what placement of our G50 receiver gives the best reception (if any) when we are actually in the performing position aboard that pontoon.

The top row of three LEDS below your receiver's "CABLE TONE" are the main indication for this. We are trying for at least two, but preferably all three to be lit, with the beltpack on the player. (You will probably need a friend to "stand in" as "the player", because you will be busy moving the receiver around while listening and looking at those LEDs.)

If you place the receiver in its "normal" position on the deck, (on the "floor", next to foot-operated effects, for instance) that location may indeed result in the pontoon's metal structure (being so close to the G50 receiver's antennae) absorbing, "earthing" or "garbling" whatever RF is coming from your beltpack, or that close positioning could even have caused the water and pontoon to combine, effectively "making" a giant "concentrator" for whatever maritime RF is out there, "swamping" your poor little beltpack.

(Which is, sort of, what you originally thought.)

So experimenting to first find a spot that works ...and then going "back home" to figure out how to cable to and from whatever weird spot for your receiver actually gave reliable results in that "on board" test, ...is a technique that is fairly likely (in my experience) to grant "G50 freedom" at your upcoming pontoon gig.

#5 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2521 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

Both outputs see the same radio signal.  So if the tuner out has audio but the main out does not then you most likely have a hardware failure in the main out analog output section.

#6 drewjones

drewjones

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:31 AM

Hi all,

I have a similar problem with my G50. I use two transmitters so I can swap guitars mid-gig and use the same effects chain. It's worked well for the last 10 months or so but, despite all the right signal and audio lights illuminating when I play, there is no audio from the tuner output or the main output. Obviously, I've tried going straight into the amp, different cables in the output etc. So my next thing is (given that I'm not certain I still have the warranty - d'oh!) is there a UAE (Dubai) dealer who can fix the receiver unit, or do I have to send the thing overseas?

Thanks for any and all advice.

#7 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2521 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

If you are getting all the correct LEDs but no audio from the receiver you'll need to see a service center.

http://line6.com/ser...ational_service

#8 eklynx

eklynx

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

One other possibility, though it might seem stupid (it's happened to me a couple times), check to make sure the pack didn't kick in to 'mute' mode (look at the LCD screen to see if it says 'MUTE').  If you accidentally hit the mute button for a second and put it in MUTE, the main out will be muted with the aux/tuner still functional (that's the purpose of the aux/tuner jack).  Coincidently, if you know you'll *never* want to mute via belt pack (i.e. you have a tuner in the chain that you use to mute), always use the aux/tuner jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users