Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD 500 - Whispering a prayer Patches

edmondandck

A new user of HD 500 here and appreciate some advice from experienced users.

I am creating the patches of "Whispering a prayer" from Mr. Vai but not very sure how can I create the volume swell together with the delay.

Wonder if anywhere I can get the similar patch or could anyone give me some advice. Million thanks.

Great sounding patch, and really close to the original. A big part of the tone comes from the sustainiac, which it looks like you have on there? For the section with the delays, that would probably be very hard to nail unless you know exactly what the original note arrangement is. Anyway, great playing.

Sustaining pickups are useful when trying to recreate a sustaining pickup sound. 

And it would almost need to be the same model to make sure it has the same sound options. 

I also saw some volume knob action going on. 

You could try something like a Reverse Delay and set the mix to 100% so that you hear none of the original tone. 

That would certainly help recreate short notes not being as loud as a long notes. 

FYI - 

Others are under the impression that the video is you playing, and they are trying to tweak what you already have. 

I am going with that not being you because your names don't match - which means creating a patch from scratch. 

Hi edmondandck,

thank's a lot for your amazing post! :D

I'm using the POD HD 500 since April 2013 and I'd like to play this song, too.
Could you please give me information about the sound equipment you've used in your video (amp, additional effects, speakers and so),
and the most improtant: How can I get your patches of "Whispering a prayer" to have this amazing effect?

Million thanks in advance!
Reinando,
form Germany

I am very embarrassed to confuse you. The video is definitely not me.

I dont have the sustainer system. 

No reason to be embarrassed. 

Those others should be the embarrassed ones. 

Sustain pickups - almost a necessity when dealing with songs that have them. 

however remains a mistery why he didn't post the Vai original clip, but instead the one of a guy playing the same song, who much probably is not even using a modeler

My guess would be - 

because it was a very clear sound and very clear image of the hands. Much nicer (as a sound sample) than a live concert clip. 

Although, in the live clip that you posted, even though the audio is garbled, you can clearly see him working the expression pedal for some of those volume swells, as well as activating the various sustain options with the flip switches. 

Thank you so much, dear pianoguyy, you read my mind.

I seek other players as a sample instead of Mr. Vai one because it seems more realistic and more clear of his hands.

I have also asked Mr. Gleen Delaune possible to create this but he said impossible to get the similar sound/ effect without the sustainer system.

Thank you so much for all the useful advice.

Glenn is a member here. 

He said you need the pickups. Others have said it. 

You have your answer to half the problem. 

Unfortunately, that half is the part that you would really need to have first, in order to proceed any further.