Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Having POD Farm in FX chain causes live monitoring to differ from recorded sound

So, I'm facing a really weird issue with POD Farm (free). I'm using Reaper as my DAW and using the VST plugin for POD Farm on Windows 8.1. Using a Focusrite Solo USB interface (24bit/96khz/512 sample buffer). 

I have a two track setup, so that my guitar signal will go to two different amp sim setups and FX chains. Along with this, I have each track a bit panned left/right to add some depth. Anyway, to test this, I made two new empty tracks that are identical except for they are panned 30% left, and then 30% right. On only one I added the VST plugin for POD Farm with no effects or anything, just an empty preset. I confirmed that input and output level is set to 0 db. When I enable this, the sound on both left and right tracks changes drastically when doing live monitoring. However, when trying to record this difference I realized it doesn't happen with recorded sound, only during live monitoring. Honestly, the effect is aesthetically pleasing depending on the tone and I'd like to know how to replicate it in a more.. controllable manner, and in a way which can be recorded. Also, to top off the weirdness of this issue, if I add a POD Farm VST plugin to both tracks (rather than just 1) then the effect goes away. 

The sound difference isn't significant, but definitely is noticable. It seems to chop out some high and low frequencies and kinda muddies the middle frequencies. Like I said, it's not necessarily even unpleasant and helps to balance out some distortion later in my chain, but what I'm hearing while monitoring isn't actually what will be recorded which is  a major problem

Anyone ever notice this kind of thing and have any idea what is going on here?