Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Dsp Limit

mralmostpopular

Well at the very least it seems most of your questions. comments, theories & thoughts have been answered and addressed. Essentially the HD series is not going to change to what you want it to. I prefer the higher definition amps as opposed to lowering the definition to add more stuff. My X3 live had more of the options I like so I can always go back to that but I personally think the HD series sounds better. And that's more important to me. You have some interesting and desirable points and have every right to express them. But it seems like a dead horse is being beaten.

lol. I said "what would've been nice", as in *in theory* and is not an expression of expectation. I never implied it was a common feature

available in every other MFX unit known to man, It is although, a feature you will find in certain audio electronics out there, so it exists.

I find it amusing that you would quarrel over a trivial statement such as that.

You can't just say "Okay, run at a lower sample rate and magically get more DSP horsepower." In fact, sample rate has exactly zero impact on DSP resources in POD, and never could. Even if you could, presets made at a lower sample rate would suddenly be incompatible with your friend's POD—or even your own POD, if set differently later! That experience is much more egregious than the occasional DSP overload message, as is every single item in my aforementioned list. We know, because we've asked the question hundreds of times.

If one must string a ton of spring reverbs or pitch shifters together, they can always connect an HD500X to an HD500 ProX via S/PDIF. Hook up a MIDI cable as well and switching presets will sync automatically.

And it's still way less money than some alternatives.

• Upvote 2

Sounds nice, but I'm not sure I'd pay twice that amount for the same set of FX and AmpSims.

I have solutions in place to address (in my view), what was the lack of DSP horsepower in my

rack, so its not really a concern now. Was just a thought on DSP management in general.

I Imagine the 96Khz algorithms demand more hardware intensive requirements than that if 48Khz.

Although seems common to 48Khz units, especially these days, that they allow you to fill more over-all 

slots with FX ect. If we have to lose over-all slots in favour of the 96Khz definition, then so be it.

To NucleusX.

Well this thing won't let me quote but regarding your response to me a couple posts ago. I wasn't quarreling with you. It sounded like a good idea and I sincerely wanted to know who else has it. Since you brought it up, it led me to believe you knew of other units that had them. Is everything a quarrel with you?. I was merely inquiring, wondering, asking; not testing, debating arguing, quarreling, or anything confrontational AT ALL. C'mon man lighten up. You seem to be wound a little tight. And your little jabs like, "I find it amusing.....". What a pretentious, arrogant thing to say. I gave you chuckle? Was it more like an evil cackle? And, it was over an innocent question, not an attack. You bring up some interesting points, but you seem to always want to make it a fight. I'm guessing you'll have some clever quip in response to this to put me in my place and perhaps I've given you another cackle, but this I know, my question was not confrontational and was not worded in any klind of confrontational way. So only someone looking for a quarrel would take it that way.

@ brue58ski

Fine, no offence intended. And in answer to both your questions, there is no *Guitar MFX Unit* that has this feature. I

just assumed that you where already aware of the kind of balance that was being struck in regards to 96Khz vs 48Khz.

The question seemed pretty sarcastic to me at the time :P. Don't know if the AxeFx or Kemper has this feature tho.

Not saying this "should" be done, but maybe in the future one day it "could" be done if it where to

be implemented into the design of the architecture to help "manage" DSP usage. In any kind of 

DSP, its processing bandwidth limit is set *fixed* by the hardware architecture. Where you have

"more" available DSP slots in an 48khz environment but lower definition, and "less" available slots

in an 96Khz environment at higher definition, would it be correct to assume that they both roughly

balance out evenly, thus requiring roughly the same raw processing bandwidth requirements ? And

If so, wouldn't the possibility of halving the sampling resolution, also halve the processing bandwidth ?

Could in theory open up the possibility of more slots one would think, for about the same DSP demand ?

If one must string a ton of spring reverbs or pitch shifters together, they can always connect an HD500X to an HD500 ProX via S/PDIF. Hook up a MIDI cable as well and switching presets will sync automatically.

Uef6DD7.jpg

• Upvote 2

And if that is not enough you could string as many HD ProX together as you have rack space for (S/PDIF out to S/PDIF in). B)

[or buy an AxeFX-II XL :ph34r:]

@ Rewolf48

@ RIblues

We all spend our DSP budget in our own way, there is no "right" or "better" way. I've already

stated that I have solutions in place, but thanks for the suggestions that wasn't required.

And for the record, I never said I was stringing 8 reverbs together, not that the personal

tastes of the user's combination of chosen FX or AmpSims should be a factor in this debate.

For the average player with simple chains, you won't be confronted by DSP issues half

as much as someone running a rack in a home studio recording situation, like I am.

There are no extra FX on the floor for me either, only control pedals, which is how I like it.

Another thing I'll mention. In Australia, the approximate prices are as follows. (AUD).

POD HD Pro X around $920, POD HD Pro around $699, and POD HD500X around $950.

Not sure what's happening elsewhere, but we aren't seeing the *$500* market point

some people have been referring to. Personally I paid AUD $699 for my POD HD Pro.

The Shortboard MKII pedal board to go with it, was about AUD $350.

I definitely find myself in the NucleusX boat on occasion—sometimes eight zillion effects just work. That's why we'll run multiple UAD cards (and before that, PT|HD) so the Mac can run dozens of POD Farms and Reaktor ensembles.

Live, though—at least for my band—all those effects tend to get lost in the room. We'll strip things way back and let the tracks do the heavy lifting.

I run into DSP Overload more often than most Line 6'ers, and won't pretend it's never irritating. But I understand the reasons behind it (both from a user and technical perspective), and would never suggest limiting the box for others just so my band can drown in shoegaze heaven. Doesn't matter how fast a box anyone makes—some people will always push it past its limits.

• Upvote 2

Another thing I'll mention. In Australia, the approximate prices are as follows. (AUD).

POD HD Pro X around $920, POD HD Pro around $699, and POD HD500X around $950.

Not sure what's happening elsewhere, but we aren't seeing the *$500* market point

some people have been referring to. Personally I paid AUD $699 for my POD HD Pro.

In the US, the street price for the HD500X (and 500 when it was being made) was $500 pretty much everywhere. With sales, it wasn't that difficult to get for $425 or sometimes less. The price for the Pro X (and Pro, again, when it was being made) is $699.

Australia ?  I have some friends down there.  They keep telling me to look out for the Drop Bears.  Then there's the 4,000 other living things down there that will kill you.  On top of all that the water in the toilet goes the wrong way...

*Insert hysterical laughter here* :P

On a serious note, I wouldn't mind putting a bump on this...

Not saying this "should" be done, but maybe in the future one day it "could" be done if it where to

be implemented into the design of the architecture to help "manage" DSP usage. In any kind of 

DSP, its processing bandwidth limit is set *fixed* by the hardware architecture. Where you have

"more" available DSP slots in an 48khz environment but lower definition, and "less" available slots

in an 96Khz environment at higher definition, would it be correct to assume that they both roughly

balance out evenly, thus requiring roughly the same raw processing bandwidth requirements ? And

If so, wouldn't the possibility of halving the sampling resolution, also halve the processing bandwidth ?

Could in theory open up the possibility of more slots one would think, for about the same DSP demand ?

Sample rate has (almost) nothing to do with it, at least in embedded DSP systems. Theoretically, a box could be built that allowed the user to disable certain functionality reliant on DSP to eek out maybe an additional 10, maybe 20%, but to be perfectly honest, that's bad news. Embedded hardware is known for its predictability and consistency, and when Bob can't use the same Custom Tone presets as Joe because one of them went in and changed a few deep DSP management parameters, that's a terrible experience. So even if we could, we wouldn't.

Here are the primary reasons Line 6 may not have implemented a feature:

• We'd love to do it, but the current architecture won't let us (very rare)

• It'll take a really long time, and therefore, hinder development of other, more important features

• It'll undermine the spirit of what the product is meant to be

• It'll make the product harder to use

• After countless interviews with guitarists of all skill levels, it turns out almost no one really cares (the gear forum vs. meatspace debate)

• We actually are working on it—you just haven't seen it yet

interesting debate..

but I'm writing here only to say that I (and I'm sure also many other people here) really appreciate that in addition to the useful Line6 experts, you Line6 staff finally decided to interact with us customers

it's a good sign for the future

Oh, I wish it were that simple!

Many Line 6ers read this Community, IdeaScale, and other gear forums every day, so we always know what's going on, but interacting takes a lot of time and effort. It's not uncommon for us to rewrite posts ten times—we're owned by a publicly traded company, after all, and representing the Line 6 arm of Yamaha on a public forum is not without its share of potential pitfalls. It's not like we have degrees in Public Relations; we're just huge gear nerds who value our jobs.  :ph34r:

Pro Tip: I can be summoned, almost magically, if you spread misinformation about AMPLIFi and POD. But don't do that.  ;)

Happy 4th, everyone!

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...

Hi Guys,

I've been using my POD HD500 since 2011 for live purposes with a Tech21 Power Engine.

I'm very satisfied with the tone but sometimes the DSP limit is disappointing.

My main tone is based on the treadplate model (not pre, but Full model) and is not possible to use Smart Harmony with it.

I'd love to try the New Helix, but it is too much for my budget.

Could you HD500X owners help me?

I'd like to know if you can create in your HD500X a patch with  Treadplate model and the Smart Harmony effect.

If it is possible I'll immediately update my HD500 to HD500X.

Thanks a lot.

Sure can. I was able to have two treadplates and three smart hamonies. DSP limit reached when trying to add a fourth. The HD500 should be able to run at least one treadplate and one smart harmony. Something things wrong if you can't.

• Upvote 1

Come to think of it, isn't there particular MFX pedals out there that automatically reduce sampling resolution/quality

as the DSP load increases towards its full capacity ? I'm sure they exist, not that it matters anymore. And I'm certain

these units don't allow any manual control over this process, it's an automatic process that occurs in the background.

I'd dare say this a feature within static allocation architecture's, as opposed to the POD HD's dynamic DSP allocation ?

Sure can. I was able to have two treadplates and three smart hamonies. DSP limit reached when trying to add a fourth. The HD500 should be able to run at least one treadplate and one smart harmony. Something things wrong if you can't.

Hi Duncann, thanks a lot mate.

I must confess I'm impressed by the result of your test.

I can't figure anything wrong with my HD500 but it is fact I can't build a patch of tread and smart harmony.

Smart Harmony perfectly works with other amp models.

I'm seriously considering to update to HD500X immediately.

Regards,

Falcon

Falcao_rocks - Are you just adding one treadplate model and one smart harmony and hitting the DSP limit?  Or do you have other fx blocks allocated in the same patch?

I can't see why the HD500 would not be able to have the treadplate model with the smart harmony - if they are the only things in the patch.

Falcao_rocks - Are you just adding one treadplate model and one smart harmony and hitting the DSP limit?  Or do you have other fx blocks allocated in the same patch?

I can't see why the HD500 would not be able to have the treadplate model with the smart harmony - if they are the only things in the patch.

Hi Edstar1960,

I started I new patch from the scratch and added treadplate. I can add any other effect but not the smart harmony.

Maybe there really is something wrong with my unit (it was purchased beginning of 2011).

Regards,

Try building the patch in a different patch location.

Try doing a global reset (hold down the left arrow while powering on), followed by a pedal recalibration (right arrow while powering on).

If that doesn't do anything, backup all your custom patches, and reflash the firmware without keeping your custom patches when the process asks you. After the reflash, do a global reset, then a pedal calibration. Now try and build the treadplate/smart harmony patch.

Hi Duncann

I think it definetely worths trying.

I'll do it and give you a feedback.

Unfortunately it will take a few days because my hd500 also have some issues with the usb connection (and I need it to keep my patches).

I'm gonna fix it soon but not right now because I have rehearsals twice a week.

Thanks again.

Falcao_Rocks, I have just created a patch on my HD500 with the Treadplate and Smart Harmony and saved it without any problem.  I have attached it to this entry for you to try if you want.

If it still fails then I think you need to try Duncann's suggestion to reset the unit.

Good luck.

TestTone.zip

• Upvote 1

Hi Edstar1960!

You rock man! I really appreciate your help.

I'm going to fix my HD500 usd and try to load your patch. If necessary I'll try duncann's suggeston about resetting the unit.

You guys make this forum increadably helpful.

As soon as possible I'll let you know the results.

Regards,