67 replies to this topic

#61 robsangg

robsangg

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

• I was just pointing out to my own practical purposes, and financial means it's not feasible.  By all means if anyone desires to be that creative and string that much ambient noise and modulation together and get it to sound good, go ahead.  I won't go into what you have to pay to have that ability without reaching your DSP limits(ahem, AXE-FX), but I don't see the expense for the moderate upgrade.  The downside is of course that Line 6 can and probably will make more amp/effects models available for the 500X that won't be available for the 500, but that's what happens.  I believe the 500 is about 3 yrs old, I may be wrong because I wasn't standing in line to get one when it came out, but the company had to release something new to keep the marketplace open.  Just good business on their part, but until there is a major upgrade, I can't justify the expense for the same modeling tech, even if it does have a more powerful processor.  It still sounds the same.

#62 SiCantwell

SiCantwell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

If you take Line6 at their word that they won't release upgrades incompatible with the 500, then the X is good news because it means they're extending the life of the HD500/500X line. It's better than having them come out with an HD1000 and abandoning the 500 line altogether. Take it from me: Apple left my original iPad high and dry with their latest IOS, which I can't use.

#63 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14893 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yup, they've done the same to me a number of times... PPC, ipod, ipod touch, java, etc... apple is a good example of how to tee off customers, yet somehow still fuel the zealots.

Apple left my original iPad high and dry with their latest IOS, which I can't use.

#64 hansvaneven

hansvaneven

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Wait, seriously, you can hit the DSP limit on the X that easily?

What a total joke.

I thought the HD500X had twicethe power, not sure where I read that, but yikes 20% more is not much :(

Cheers,

Hans

#65 robsangg

robsangg

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Christian Arnold has a video on youtube, and I think someone has posted the comparison here in this forum as well, comparing the 500X & 500 side by side.  Slight change in the DSP, which he demostrates.  Not much in IMHO.  If I am to upgrade later it will be for the footswitches, which I definately like.

#66 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:43 AM

• Christian Arnold's video is well done
[ exept for the +5 semitones which is a 4th not a 5th ;-) ]

so +20% means one heavy DSP effect block more,
that could be useful but not game changing

• I'm really happy if the firmware upgrades will continue for hd500/hd500x and I can understand this could mean extending the life of the 500* line,

but I don't think that creating an HD1000 would mean "abandoning the 500 line altogether", look at the M5, M9 and M13: they just have different targets;

it seems like line6 thinks none of their customers would spend more than 500€ for a pedal...

or have they fear to compete with other brands in the 1000€ range?
Actually there aren't many, because the most are on the 1500€ range or more: DV Mark Multiamp, Kemper, G-System (1200 without ampsim)

only the Eleven would be a direct competitor...

• anyway I'd like to see the interior of the HD500x to see how "professional" theese switches are... like the DL4 ones? even if they seemed pro switches, they actually were "actuators"
http://www.mylespaul...dl4-repair.html

#67 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5290 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

it seems like line6 thinks none of their customers would spend more than 500€ for a pedal...

Well, I'd say they think that not enough of their customers would be willing to spend that much to make it worth their while. It's obvious that it's not simply the price point that they're concerned about because they do sell stuff that is still higher priced. Their PA equipment, the DT amps, and the JTV guitars are all higher-priced items. I just think in the floor-based modeler category, it's a harder sell. Personally, I do like the idea of a more powerful HD product, but I don't know that I'd be willing to spend $1,000 on it.

anyway I'd like to see the interior of the HD500x to see how "professional" theese switches are... like the DL4 ones? even if they seemed pro switches, they actually were "actuators"

Virtually every switch on any every digital multi-fx unit is an actuator of some sort. There's no actual analog circuit to open or close in most cases. In the ones that offer true bypass as an option, even then the actuators are triggering relays.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#68 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:52 AM

Well, I'd say they think that not enough of their customers would be willing to spend that much to make it worth their while. It's obvious that it's not simply the price point that they're concerned about because they do sell stuff that is still higher priced. Their PA equipment, the DT amps, and the JTV guitars are all higher-priced items. I just think in the floor-based modeler category, it's a harder sell. Personally, I do like the idea of a more powerful HD product, but I don't know that I'd be willing to spend $1,000 on it.

Virtually every switch on any every digital multi-fx unit is an actuator of some sort. There's no actual analog circuit to open or close in most cases. In the ones that offer true bypass as an option, even then the actuators are triggering relays.

yes they have higher-priced gear, but I wrote "more than 500€ for a pedal"

and when I talk about actuator vs real switches I'm not talking about analog vs digital anything (the pod is all digital),

I'm talking about this (the circled one is the DL4 original actuator, the other one is a heavy duty *professional* switch):

DL4_actuator_vs_switch.png

(image taken from http://www.ebay.com/...e-/320764764006)

as you can see the DL4 switches *looked* like real switches from the outside of the unit but they weren't,

I was wondering if this is the case for the HD500X too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users