Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why is Workbench HD seeing my JTV-89F as Tyler Variax (JTV-69)?

I searched the forum (also through Google) with a few search terms, a few times, but no relevant topic found.

All latest SW/FW.
Workbench HD v2.12.0
JTV-89F (v2.21 [shipped with v2.10]) through USB (v1.0.7.2) connected with Windows 7 (SP1) i7 64bit laptop (directly, no hub inbetween).

Is there any exclusive Models/Patches that are for the JTV-89F guitars that I can't use because of this partial detection? Although Line 6 Monkey v1.71 detected it as a general "Tyler Variax" and the flashing (EDIT3: with a correct file, manually downloaded) worked fine. But I imagine that process is meant to be compatible with as many as possible.

From the download section: "The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to JTV-89 and loaded into custom bank 1 are now available in the Workbench software by loading the custom JTV bank available online."

EDIT4: Although it was preceded by: "For JTV-89 Customers Only: " which seems to contradict the buildup of the sentence that followed it with "previously exclusive". Is it exclusive or not? Does it include JTV-89F? Other Variax models? Unclear. Confusing.

But more importantly, where and how exactly is it usable? Nothing in the Workbench HD manual about "online". I must be missing something..

EDIT1: is the following the only (official?) trusted resource? Share And Download 2.0+ H D Models?

EDIT2: I'm also interested in Bass (HD) Models compatible with JTV-89F, any good direction in this regard would prevent me from doing something stupid to the guitar.

EDIT4: Other than this issue, in my bit of experience with the guitar, everything else seems alright, and I mostly enjoy it. It wasn't tuned fully when it arrived, but that does not invoke concern. This issue does.

I wanted to try to get any clarification or specific tips here before resorting to opening a support ticket.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT4 includes overall adjustments.

EDIT5(2015-09-01): added Dropbox-hosted screen-snippets for public-viewing (it should detect as JTV-89 [normal also for the JTV-89F, not -69 [never had the -69 guitar]):

jtv-89f%20-%201%20-%20FWv2.10%20-%20seen

jtv-89f%20-%201%20-%20FWv2.21%20-%20seen

post-2243211-0-35517200-1438205862_thumb.png

post-2243211-0-55202200-1438205867_thumb.png

Edited by ZenBalancer

Bizarre. I had a JTV59 shipped to me a month or two back. It had some electronic problems and a crack where the neck met the body so I sent it back.

The thing is, when I opened HD Edit, it recognized it as a JTV89. I reflashed the FW and it did not change.

I was reading the FW update descriptions yesterday and was wondering if the 5 models were now available for other Variax guitars.  It does say "The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to JTV-89 ...".

I would like to know where to find those models as well if I can try them in my Variax Standard.

• Upvote 1

resource? Share And Download 2.0+ H D Models?

-------

Yes, thats VGuitarForums, with 14.000 members and I'm the site owner.

We have the largest repository of Variax patch sharing on the net.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

Here is the JtV89 custom bank for all JTV Owners.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9275.0

Read the sticky at top of this forum for more details on the Workbench HD Patch Exchange

http://line6.com/support/topic/2163-share-and-download-20-h-d-models/?do=findComment&comment=13549

• Upvote 2

Bizarre. I had a JTV59 shipped to me a month or two back. It had some electronic problems and a crack where the neck met the body so I sent it back.

The thing is, when I opened HD Edit, it recognized it as a JTV89. I reflashed the FW and it did not change.

I was reading the FW update descriptions yesterday and was wondering if the 5 models were now available for other Variax guitars.  It does say "The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to JTV-89 ...".

I would like to know where to find those models as well if I can try them in my Variax Standard.

That is interesting. Along with my other issue, you've helped me acquire more certainty about whether or not to send my current one back. The similarity makes the hopelessness of a SW/FW-based fix seemingly a fact. After my FW upgrade, my downgrade somehow even though with a bricked-impression error and guitar initial response, did become v2.10 again. And although seems to have helped my other issue, it left my current guitar essentially in the same boat as yours. Although no shipping damage noticed.

resource? Share And Download 2.0+ H D Models?

-------

Yes, thats VGuitarForums, with 14.000 members and I'm the site owner.

We have the largest repository of Variax patch sharing on the net.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

Here is the JtV89 custom bank for all JTV Owners.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9275.0

Read the sticky at top of this forum for more details on the Workbench HD Patch Exchange

http://line6.com/support/topic/2163-share-and-download-20-h-d-models/?do=findComment&comment=13549

That's reassuring. Thank you. I did reference that same thread, and I also noticed that you two are one of the Line 6 Expert (forum) users since a long time.

In terms of the end-user experience, I hope in the future it becomes integrated with a star-rated ('average' quality/reliability+compatibility) overview just like the Tones through the Firehawk FX Remote app.

Awesome stevekc,

I just loaded them into Custom 2.

Thank you!

Which supports the notion that all HD Models/patches (2.0+, including exclusive Models/patches) are compatible with JTV+ and 2015+ Variax guitars. Good to know. Marketing mist becoming thinner. Although the focus and true added-value of each particular Variax is unique.

the biggest difference in the 69 v 89 is the different alt tunings.... not sure if you've noticed that.

I spent some time testing the Model Tuning, and although prior to making the purchase decision I knew from one of Sean's explanations in a vid (I remember double checking somewhere else), that in terms of the 'digital-interface' there is a difference in the preset Model Tuning (different focus/assumptions). But currently I've not compared the relevant test-results of my current JTV-89F with the Model Tuning of the JTV-69. Below is a copy of what I will sort out later. Because of the 'big picture' for me, for this particular shipment, I lost motivation atm.

tuning testing (korg tmr-50 (440hz (425hz matches fhfx in some cases) + fhfx v1.10):

factory default string tuning (not good, but after retuning, it turned not to be the major source of ambiguation).

magnetic:

6 5 4 3 2 1 string#

#1 pickup: confirmed bridge humbucker/both singlecoils, allothers confirmedbefore noting.

e a d g b e

#2 2nd bridge pickup single coil 

e a d g b e

#3 all on

e a d g b e

#4 2n neck pickup single coil

e a d g b e

#5 neck pickup humbucker/both single coils

e a d g b  e

models:

t-model:

model tuning #1-5:

b e a d g(Flat/f# korg) b(+other strings left, sometimes ecpecially when noise gate is off:  weird  effect because of harmonics when #6 left free, also especially  when afterwards going up until #4,out oftune has nothing todo with it)

standard #1-5:

e a c(#?/dFlat?fhfx) e a e

dropD #1-5:

g b d g b d(g with#6free/mixes with others as well, but #6 harmonic coresonance most audible:korg)

1/2 down #1-5:

d g d g b d

drop Db #1-5:

d a d g(Flat/f# korg) a d

1 down #1-5:

d a d g a d

drop c #1-5:

d g c f a d

m3 down#1-5:

c#(dFlat fhfx) g#(aFlat) c#(dFlat) f#(gFlat) bFlat  eFlat( ;free #6 loud  harmonic byproduct)

drop b #1-5:

eFlat aFlat(g# korg) dFlat(c#) gFlat(f#) bFlat eFlat

M3 down #1-5:

d a d g b e(free#6 harmonic interference)

drop Bb  #1-5:

e a d g b e

baritone #1-5:

e a d g b e

http://line6.com/support/topic/15019-my-incremental-messy-review-jtv-89f-firehawk-fx/

I've read all of your helpful feedback, but delayed my response until I had a sense of clarity myself.

In total here though, the main question have not been answered. That's why I've started a Support Ticket, and I'm also in the process of reporting the product faulty for a right of a replacement within the 'grace period' here.

An acceptable assumption emerges, however, that the quality control has failed enough users, and I'm currently one of them. And here I thought because Samsung is a [south] Korea based company, that a guitar manufactured in Korea based on a Line 6 (USA) design, couldn't let me down.. That I might have found the 'Apple' of the digital guitar world. Well, maybe I did. But that's because it's also not a good thing. Although this is not Apple Maps style let-down, it's in my situation, nevertheless, at least somewhat disheartening..

But I'll keep on trying until I get a good one. I've gotten attached to this particular brand and guitar.

EDITs: minor typo + Model/patches reference clarification.

Edited by ZenBalancer

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to use a double post because the size of my previous post and this one (both posts together would be too much), to update and close this issue on my part. Basically it wasn't a ROM issue (this particular one never could be in retrospect, otherwise anyone could change their guitar model by loading that FW, so it was:

not branded correctly

;in the factory ([south?] Korea [contracting 3rd party? or a Line 6 branch?]).

I opened a support ticket for the feedback gist I quoted above, and simultaneously sent it back to the shop, and the last Line 6 support feedback was at 6 August. In the meantime I gained a lot of experience with various productions of this model, and figured a few things out, also how to reproduce the 2nd issue clearly with the actual relevant setting, also with a contrast (not really a workaround), which I will get into at the following topic:My (incremental + messy) 'Review' - JTV-89F + Firehawk FX.

So I also found out based on the working of the other productions that the Alternate Tuning nob of this particular one was connected in reverse: Baritone was Model, Standard was Drop Bb/flat, etc.. and visa versa, so also for all of the other options and their counter-ones from the end side. In retrospect makes sense, since the Standard Alternate Tuning measured wasn't like the standard tuning of the magnetic pickup. So basically I'm not sure whether they can fix it, or weather someone else bought it as alternative stock as-is for a (possibly significantly) reduced price. But I did my part. I'm done with this particular production.

The support ticket and conversation (most recent reply upward, take some time to open after downloading) is attached. Here is their feedback (most recent-to-oldest downward):

cdegardin

Aug 3, 06:09 AM

Hello,

the JTV89 should be displayed in WorkbenchHD
If you see a JTV69 your guitar is not branded correctly (this has nothing to do
with flashing the ROM)

This should be checked by our service :
http://line6.com/find/service_center/

Hanex
Waaier 36
VW Leimuiden, 2451
+31172506993
info@hanexservice.nl
NETHERLANDS

Best regards,
Christoph Dégardin
Technical Support
Line 6 Support Europe

(I asked whether removing the registration would remove the ticket, he said it doesn't, and it didn't, also they don't remote 'debug' nor remote analyze)

cdegardin

Aug 6, 05:24 AM

Hi,
No, the tickets will still be there
the issues with the guitar should be checked by the service-center
difficult to analyze this from here without the guitar in hands
(Hanex-service is experienced in Line6 products)

Entire attached ticket (goto full post [also need to be logged in]):

260669-html-only.html

EDITs: some small addition and layout.

Edited by ZenBalancer