Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My (incremental + messy) 'Review' - JTV-89F (#1-4 returned) + Firehawk FX

I received my first guitar (ever) this past July: JTV-89F (2013 model). I wanted it for a lot of reasons.
Sadly I'm in the process of sending this particular (manufactured in Korea - hopefully better quality control in the future) production, back for a replacement. This particular guitar production shipping date to online-shop from Yamaha Europe: March 2015 

EDIT1(2015-08-27): the exact shipping date of the batch of 4 of these to the shop I bought it from, is 23 March 2015:
post-2243211-0-34070100-1440692834_thumb.png (need to be logged in possibly to view the zoomin evidence)
This one I will label #1; it's returned. And another 3 as well; 2 from different batches. All the others I returned back to the shop, I did for different reasons. I won't reference the serial numbers, for privacy reasons, and perhaps it's better that the factory in Korea gets a common improvement request and even higher quality (a lot of good work was put in each one, I'm sorry about the issues as well) instead of possibly firing someone. At the bottom I referenced that I will post about them later.

EDIT2(2015-09-01): zoomin evidence Dropbox-hosted for public-viewing:

zoom1%20-%202015-07-04_19-26-14_749.png

First connectivity issue (mild compared to other related issues): 
EDIT1(2015-08-27): 

not branded correctly

-Why is Workbench HD seeing my JTV-89F as Tyler Variax (JTV-69)?

EDIT2(2015-09-01): referenced the screen-snippets of the Workbench HD Connected Guitar detection popup:

I searched the forum (also through Google) with a few search terms, a few times, but no relevant topic found.

All latest SW/FW.
Workbench HD v2.12.0
JTV-89F (v2.21 [shipped with v2.10]) through USB (v1.0.7.2) connected with Windows 7 (SP1) i7 64bit laptop (directly, no hub inbetween).

Is there any exclusive Models/Patches that are for the JTV-89F guitars that I can't use because of this partial detection? Although Line 6 Monkey v1.71 detected it as a general "Tyler Variax" and the flashing (EDIT3: with a correct file, manually downloaded) worked fine. But I imagine that process is meant to be compatible with as many as possible.

From the download section: "The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to JTV-89 and loaded into custom bank 1 are now available in the Workbench software by loading the custom JTV bank available online."

EDIT4: Although it was preceded by: "For JTV-89 Customers Only: " which seems to contradict the buildup of the sentence that followed it with "previously exclusive". Is it exclusive or not? Does it include JTV-89F? Other Variax models? Unclear. Confusing.

But more importantly, where and how exactly is it usable? Nothing in the Workbench HD manual about "online". I must be missing something..

EDIT1: is the following the only (official?) trusted resource? Share And Download 2.0+ H D Models?

EDIT2: I'm also interested in Bass (HD) Models compatible with JTV-89F, any good direction in this regard would prevent me from doing something stupid to the guitar.

EDIT4: Other than this issue, in my bit of experience with the guitar, everything else seems alright, and I mostly enjoy it. It wasn't tuned fully when it arrived, but that does not invoke concern. This issue does.

I wanted to try to get any clarification or specific tips here before resorting to opening a support ticket.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT4 includes overall adjustments.

EDIT5(2015-09-01): added Dropbox-hosted screen-snippets for public-viewing (it should detect as JTV-89 [normal also for the JTV-89F, not -69 [never had the -69 guitar]):

jtv-89f%20-%201%20-%20FWv2.10%20-%20seen

jtv-89f%20-%201%20-%20FWv2.21%20-%20seen

Then with the generally recommended FW update from v2.10 (in the guitar shipped) to v2.21, a sound issue started occasionally to occur, and that (combined with the aforementioned guitar partial detection) stopped my trust in this particular one right in its tracks. I tried reproducing the main problematic sound issue, while trying to capture it in a recording, but it wasn't as easy as while it happened otherwise much more often. I got tired of trying to capture more examples of the issue, but I think I've managed a basic demonstration: https://soundcloud.com/zenbalancer/sets/my-1st-line-6-jtv-89f-faulty-korean-manufacturer-2-possible-sound-issues-reproduced/s-CUDl2 (let me know if the link doesn't work)

As for the general Model Tuning, there is some uncertainty going on as well in terms of what the note is being heard/measured. Not sure whether it's a general thing, or a brand, or settings things. But I will paste my crude mobile-notes just to have it here for now:

tuning testing (korg tmr-50 (440hz (425hz matches fhfx in some cases) + fhfx v1.10):
factory default string tuning (not good, but after retuning, it turned not to be the major source of ambiguation).
magnetic:
6 5 4 3 2 1 string#
#1 pickup: confirmed bridge humbucker/both singlecoils, allothers confirmedbefore noting.
e a d g b e
#2 2nd bridge pickup single coil 
e a d g b e
#3 all on
e a d g b e
#4 2n neck pickup single coil
e a d g b e
#5 neck pickup humbucker/both single coils
e a d g b  e
models:
t-model:
model tuning #1-5:
b e a d g(Flat/f# korg) b(+other strings left, sometimes ecpecially when noise gate is off:  weird  effect because of harmonics when #6 left free, also especially  when afterwards going up until #4,out oftune has nothing todo with it)
standard #1-5:
e a c(#?/dFlat?fhfx) e a e
dropD #1-5:
g b d g b d(g with#6free/mixes with others as well, but #6 harmonic coresonance most audible:korg)
1/2 down #1-5:
d g d g b d
drop Db #1-5:
d a d g(Flat/f# korg) a d
1 down #1-5:
d a d g a d
drop c #1-5:
d g c f a d
m3 down#1-5:
c#(dFlat fhfx) g#(aFlat) c#(dFlat) f#(gFlat) bFlat  eFlat( ;free #6 loud  harmonic byproduct)
drop b #1-5:
eFlat aFlat(g# korg) dFlat(c#) gFlat(f#) bFlat eFlat
M3 down #1-5:
d a d g b e(free#6 harmonic interference)
drop Bb  #1-5:
e a d g b e
baritone #1-5:
e a d g b e

EDIT1(2015-08-27): the ambiguity aside for later, update:

So I also found out based on the working of the other productions that the Alternate Tuning nob of this particular one was connected in reverse: Baritone was Model, Standard was Drop Bb/flat, etc.. and visa versa, so also for all of the other options and their counter-ones from the end side. In retrospect makes sense, since the Standard Alternate Tuning measured wasn't like the standard tuning of the magnetic pickup. So basically I'm not sure whether they can fix it, or weather someone else bought it as alternative stock as-is for a (possibly significantly) reduced price. But I did my part. I'm done with this particular production.

-Why is Workbench HD seeing my JTV-89F as Tyler Variax (JTV-69)?

At least, that's how those seemed to me, but now it seems there is also a matter of the wrong Alternate Tuning associated with the JTV-69, but with the labels/nob of the JTV-89(F) (checked the specs). Although I specifically downloaded and loaded up the v2.21 firmware from the JTV, it wouldn't make the difference since these seem to be the same file for all recent JTVs. I've double checked that in the download section; there is no specific JTV model drop-down-menu-item or the like.

drop Bb  #1-5:
e a d g b e
baritone #1-5:
e a d g b e

At least this part is definitely reversed; are Model and Standard.

But the following doesn't fit that 'reversing theory':

model tuning #1-5:
b e a d g(Flat/f# korg) b(+other strings left, sometimes ecpecially when noise gate is off:  weird  effect because of harmonics when #6 left free, also especially  when afterwards going up until #4,out oftune has nothing todo with it)
standard #1-5:
e a c(#?/dFlat?fhfx) e a e

Since Standard reversed (switched with the one before last/Baritone) would be Drop Bb/flat on the JTV-89(F) and that doesn't start with an E. Is it a JTV-69 one position? I'm confused. But this situation is not the norm. This is some cluster mess I was never responsible for; and luckily not mine anymore.

I will post a separate thread for each of the returned guitars, to keep some overview, since this thread has already a number of, even though interesting, digressions. Also to keep any feedback with the associated guitar/thread, rather than everything mixed in one thread.

EDIT2(2015-09-01): On second thought, I'll dedicate a single Thread/Topic for those returned guitars, and use standalone posts for each instead within that Thread/Topic.

Edited by ZenBalancer

The fifth track you recorded sounds like what I am hearing on some of the non-banjo/non-Dobro models in my Variax Standard. 

Edit: The third and fourth notes of the progression is what I hear on mine, not the strange modulation that occurs on the second note .

Edited by CipherHost

The fifth track you recorded sounds like what I am hearing on some of the non-banjo/non-Dobro models in my Variax Standard. 

I don't think I understand what the implication(s) of that could be..

But both the 4th and 5th test tracks were of the T-Model preset patch with the Model Tuning nob set on "Model". And that weird thing that happens to it when at certain pace going upward from string #1 to #4, happens on both the shipped FW (v2.10) of the JTV-89F and the latest (v2.21).

On the side: the Model Tuning nob when set on "Model", then the first issue (4th test track) happens intermittently and unpredictably despite which preset Model/patch is active. But I suspect that is just my faulty shipped guitar in combination with the latest FW (v2.10 didn't have that). I attribute it also to the similarity to your previous JTV-59 with perhaps other faulty electronics' symptoms (perhaps related to why it's being recognized wrongly).

Anyway, that's my current 2ct..

EDIT: plural instead of singular + typo.

Edited by ZenBalancer

I received my first guitar (ever) this past July: JTV-89F (2013 model). I wanted it for a lot of reasons.

Frankly if I was just learning to play guitar, I'd get a guitar that inspired me to play and spend a couple years learning and getting familiar with the instrument before buying any Variax.

A Variax as your first guitar - It's a bit like learning to fly in the Space Shuttle as your first plane.

On the side: the Model Tuning nob when set on "Model", then the first issue (4th test track) happens intermittently and unpredictably despite which preset Model/patch is active.

The rumored 2020 Variax Super HD 4K will fix this ;)

Frankly if I was just learning to play guitar, I'd get a guitar that inspired me to play and spend a couple years learning and getting familiar with the instrument before buying any Variax.

A Variax as your first guitar - It's a bit like learning to fly in the Space Shuttle as your first plane.

+1...Now perhaps the OP is the exception to the rule, and if that's the case, my apologies...the world does have its prodigies. But as someone who has been teaching guitar lessons for the last 20+ years, I can say with 100% certainty that half the students with a year or less of playing experience couldn't tell a guitar from a tuba by ear, never mind being able to identify the subtle nuances that distinguish a Strat from a Tele. Too much gear early on is usually a hindrance...if for no other reason than the tendency is to become too dependant on gadgets and fx instead of actually learning to play the thing. I'm reasonably certain that if digital delays didn't exist, there would be no U2, and The Edge would be selling shoes for a living...;)
  • Upvote 1

I'm reasonably certain that if digital delays didn't exist, there would be no U2, and The Edge would be selling shoes for a living... ;) 

At least he's a multi-instrumentalist ( to a degree) 

https://youtu.be/xgmyqG-RKaw

But remember Tommy Tedesco (studio session guitarist extraordinaire)  always said:

"There's no Money above the 5th Fret"

At least he's a multi-instrumentalist ( to a degree)

https://youtu.be/xgmyqG-RKaw

But remember Tommy Tedesco (studio session guitarist extraordinaire) always said:

"There's no Money above the 5th Fret"

Lol...fair enough. It was really just to illustrate the point...he is an fx-heavy guitarist. Actually, I like some of the older stuff (but I seriously hope Bono fired his hairdresser after the gig in that clip...), from the days before Bono decided it was possible to save the world from a tour bus.

The rumored 2020 Variax Super HD 4K will fix this ;)

I heard from a reliable source it will be called the Variax Pro based on HX technology, will ship by November of 2017 and retail for $1,199.00 US.

I know a guy who knows a guy who sleeps with a girl whose husband has a cousin that works for..., well, you know.  :ph34r:

I heard from a reliable source it will be called the Variax Pro based on HX technology, will ship by November of 2017 and retail for $1,199.00 US.

I know a guy who knows a guy who sleeps with a girl whose husband has a cousin that works for..., well, you know. :ph34r:

I heard the first 1000 units will come free with the purchase of a 2.5 hp Yamaha outboard motor...the guitar playing / shallow freshwater fishing demographic had been ignored for far too long.

I heard the first 1000 units will come free with the purchase of a 2.5 hp Yamaha outboard motor...the guitar playing / shallow freshwater fishing demographic had been ignored for far too long.

ROFL.....   :lol: I actually fit that demographic, where do I sign up?