Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Windows 10 & HD500

kyle1001

Hey all, recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have noticed that my PC does not receive the sound from my HD500 any more. It sends it, I've used it as my sound card for a long time now but when I hit the strings with the Recording settings window open the bars do not light up to show a signal and when I record via Reaper it just records what ever the PC is playing back. I have the POD selected as the input and the output just the same as before, setting the pod as default recording/communication device does nothing.

Any suggestions? All my drivers are up to date via Line6 Monkey and literally nothing (visible) has changed in my sound settings.

Cheers!

There's something not right going on with the combination of Windows 10/Line 6 HD drivers. I just tried with Reaper 64-bit portable install and the only way I got it to work was changing the playback quality mentioned in this thread. The same exact hardware/software setup works fine in Windows 7.

A suggestion might be to dump Windows 10 for the time being, until things like this get sorted out.

The only good thing I've noticed about using POD HD, Windows 10, and Reaper is when you shut the POD off while Reaper is still open, it gracefully closes the driver and doesn't hard lock the entire system.

Thanks for the suggestion Duncan, the sound quality change did not have an effect unfortunately. It's a shame that I might have to roll back to 7 as I enjoy 10 a lot... hopefully the guys at Line 6 will come up with some drivers soon so I will hold on for now.  :unsure:

It could be something with the current Line 6 drivers, 4.2.7.1. Windows 10 is listed on Line 6's download page for these drivers, but have been around since July 2013, which means Windows 10 wasn't even a consideration when they were made. So I would imagine some more specific Win 10 drivers should be coming soon.

It could also be something with Windows 10's audio system.

If you have another audio interface with ASIO capability, external or internal sound card, you could try using that instead of the HD500.

If it's integrated on the motherboard, then it's likely not worth it. It won't have any sort of ASIO drivers, although you could try some of the other available audio system options in Reaper (WDM, directsound, waveout, WASAPI) and take the quarter inch outputs from the HD500 into the soundcard input.

I messed around a little with the WASAPI audio system in Reaper on Windows 7 just for defecations and grins, and it is actually quite usable. Surprised me a bit. I didn't use my motherboard's sound, but an add-in pci-e. It worked well with the digital out from the HD500X to a digital in on the soundcard, as well as the quarter inch outputs from the HD500X to an eighth-inch analog input.

So perhaps trying your motherboard's sound might be worth it. The motherboard sound does have at least an analog input?

Just another quick update:

I tried getting my motherboard's audio (Realtek ALC1150) working in Windows 10 and Reaper 64-bit. I didn't do any really exhaustive tests, but everything seems to be working as it should and it's actually usable.

I just used whatever Windows 10 installed after I enabled the onboard audio in the BIOS, plugged my headphones into the jack on the back of the computer, and the 1/4" left and right outputs from the HD500X to the line-in jack on the back of the computer. In Reaper I selected WASAPI for the audio system using exclusive mode, 512 samples, 24-bit, and 48KHz.

So give your onboard audio a try, it might work. Unless it doesn't have any audio input, which seems strange if it doesn't.

Having a similar problem. I have used a little Peak Level Meter for several years from a site called Darkwood. Just a simple meter to help level volumes between patches and I have used it almost every day for years. After installing windows 10 no meter I have tried will work. I get an error saying Soundcard not available, or input channel may be in use by another program. Then it says the configured device is not available and will be reset to default. I run my HD500X to Line 6 Edit to do all my rehearsals for my worship team and it's important to have the same levels from one patch to another as I normally do 1 patch per song, name it and then can go back to it each time we play that song. Right now my only choice is to move everything to my tiny notebook computer with a broken screen and spend 10 times the effort working on songs. If it's a Line 6 driver issue I sure hope they come up with something soon.