Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X - Does the vol/exp pedal stay put?

cowdery

It stays put for me, but I don't use it for a volume control. I prefer the control on the guitar, both for where it his, how it connects my hands to the volume, and the slight high-end rolloff that comes from cable capacitance. Basically one's foot is too massive for fine-grained volume control during playing. Its too easy to make volume changes that aren't easily controlled or musical. And it restricts your physical position too much.

amsdenj -

Do you retain the full dynamic range of your guitar's volume? I would prefer to use that as well. The reason for my original question is that my old processor has onboard input and output controls. My guitar volume had little affect and if it did, it was usually a huge jump from one level to another- not smooth. I needed to run an outboard volume pedal to avoid bending over to adjust from the board, which was also impossible in mid song.

...My guitar volume had little affect and if it did, it was usually a huge jump from one level to another- not smooth...

You should always have smooth control of your guitar's own volume pot. I would concentrate on resolving that issue first. Relying on a volume pedal instead introduces other factors toward removing more control of your own volume, like a moving cord on stage that catches the pedal to maximum.

It is not an issue with the guitar(s) volume pot. Works fine. The problem is the input/output signal is contolled via knobs on the processor (an old Digitech RP1). The guitar pot will make some difference but only a limited amount. Once it reaches the board input level then the volume tops out. Turn up the board too much and then the guitar volume will make a large and sudden jump when going from 0 on up. The dynamic range of the guitar pot is limited by the board settings. I've had some sucess by altering or turning off any noise gate settings on patches.

I need to know if the guitar's volume will produce the normal results when running through the HD500X.