Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No "dirt" or "distortion" turning up gain on PHD Motorway?

Mateo11

Hopefully someone here can help me. 

Here is my issue. I have been trying for the past 3 hours to get the PHD motorway to break up or distort by turning up the drive. All I get is a very clean sound. This can not be right because it doesnt even come within a country mile of sounding like the real Dr Z rout 66 amp. I get plenty of dirt/gain/distortion when I switch to the rectifier or Engl amps but nothing whatsoever from the PHD Motorway? No matter what I do by trying to tweak it can I get it to sound like anything but a pristine clean amp like the Fender models. 

Is it possible for a specific amp model to not work? And yes of course I can put some tube drive or something in front of it to make it distort but that still doesnt explain why the amp preset is not modelling/working at all. 

I am running the POD Hd 500x into the Line 6 DT-25 amp. I've tried both my guitars (one Fender strat and my Schecter Hellraiser with active EMG pickups) neither will break up the amp even with the drive at 100%. And I have cranked the DT-25 extremely loud to see if that would help and it didnt. 

I am using the pre amp models since that is what you are supposed to use with the DT-25.

Is it possible that my POD is broken somehow? I know how the DR Z amps should sound and its like this specific amp model just will not work in my POD. Any suggestion please? Thanks! 

the pre models dont have  master sag hum bias controls, only full models do.

nothing wrong in using the full amp models, they seem to have more gain on tap, especialy the low/mid gain amps,

i use full models like the plexi and the Park through the power amp of my tube amps, sounds great.

Take a look here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56306778/Amp-Pre%20Frequency%20Response.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56306778/Model%20Pak%20Frequency%20Response.pdf

As you will see, the PHD motorway isn´t the only pre-amp that doesn´t break up even at 100% drive.

Personally, I found that where POD HD dirt stomps really shines is in combination with these "clean" pres, while their "drive" control acts like a "natural" compressor and not like a "distortion level" knob.

On the other side, you may find pleasant to crank some other dirty pres even to the 100% (and limit its overall volume) to achieve distortions coming from the preamp, without any dirt stomp.

Of course you may prefer to use the full amp version of the PHD Motorway instead, as MGBlade said before.