Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dull String On Jtv-69

I recently bought a used JTV-69 from a studio that used it for 1 session (great deal). Took it to my tech for a setup and I noticed my g string sounds dull. Doesn't ring clear like the rest. Doesn't appear to be a nut issue as the fretted notes do it too. Also, sounds dull without being plugged in. Changed strings twice..tried 010's and 009's. Anyone out there have this issue? Maybe a saddle issue?

thx guys

I have a similar issue.  I wouldn't call it a "dull" string.  I would say the G string's volume is simply not as loud as the other strings.  Since all the string volumes are at max in my case (and which is the default), it's probably a good idea to achieve unity gain (all volumes the same) which means lowering the volume on the other strings to match the volume of the G string when the G string is at max volume.

Then again, maybe your problem is indeed a dull sound which may be a faulty piezo pickup.

Doubt it's the piezo since it still sounds that way when unplugged. String just doesn't ring or sustain....open or fretted.

Have you tried another set of strings?  There may be an issue with the material the string is made from.  Also worth checking the bridge saddle and the nut under a magnifying glass.  If the bridge saddle is loose in the bridge that can soak up energy and dull out the string.  Ditto if the nut slot is slanted in the wrong direction.   If all else fails, try raising the action a bit and see if that helps.

-Set-Up: string action height of the individual piezo, go to a guitar tech or set-up tech for this. Leave it to a pro, I can't count how many times I've had to undo someone else's good hearted attempt at a guitar set-up.

-Burr in the nut slot. They ought to be de-burred from time to time by a guitar tech. Had a few come back where someone would do it themselves and sand the slot too deep trying to remove a burr, and it required a new string nut.

-String going out, G's are the worst for this sort of thing.

-Changing string gauges when you change strings throws off the Set-Up. If you changes gauges when you change strings (a set with 9-gauge instead of a set with a 10-gauge), then a guitar tech will need to do a new set-up on it for the new gauge and tension.

So you know, had it set up twice by a local tech. Although he is not familiar with variax. Played a gig over the weekend and it was ok, but still, my 300 plays better. I just don't get that. Looking for someone to do a proper setup and troubleshoot on these is not easy. Any suggestions? I am in south jersey.

When a piezo goes out, it goes out. Since you say that it sounds dull even when it's not plugged in, more than likely something loose mechanically between the bridge and the tuning machines. Could be the nut slots need to be de-burred, the string button end might not be seated properly,..... I see those two way too often.

Line 6 Customer Support can point you to an authorized service center in your area who would know Line 6 products. Sending it to Line 6 for servicing if the other options are exhausted. Get with Line 6 Customer Support for those options.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I too have the same 'dull' string problem. It's the G that's the problem and I've had my guitar tech look at the problem and it's the same even when not plugged in. I have a new nut - but it can't be this as the 'dullness' is still there when the string is fretted. It's not buzzing on a fret - my tech says it has to be a problem with the bridge saddle/pickup.

I'm just wondering was a solution found to rectify this?

Thanks in advance,

Vin

I had my JTV59 professionally set up after having the guitar for 12 months or so. The guitar tech put .10 gauge strings on by mistake, which I actually quite liked (.11s were previously fitted). He offered to swap them back to .11s but I told him I would give them a try. Before I had the set up all the strings rang out as they should but shortly after getting it back one of the strings (can't be 100% sure but I think it was the G) went very dull. Swapped the strings back to .11s and problem solved. 

I think .11s are fitted by Line 6 out of the factory so maybe that's the answer.

JTV guitars are strung with D'Addario XL-110 (10 to 46 gauge) from the factory.

When you change the gauge, you change the tension, when you change the tension,

you change the set-up. When changing gauges, be sure to have the guitar re-set up

by a guitar tech for that gauge set.

Thanks for the reply guys.

It's not fret buzz and the sound is there regardless of if it's plugged in.... So it's not an electrical problem. The problem is still there even with new strings.... I use 11's.

It's puzzling....

I have to disassemble my JTV-69 this weekend to replace a dead transducer.  While it's apart I'm going to take a very close look at how the transducers contact the bridge pieces.  I've long had suspicions about both mechanical and electrical issues in this area.  For example, if the bottom of the transducer has a slight rise in the middle and a little side-to-side "slop" it might be capable of draining energy from the string.

• 2 weeks later...

I considered the Ghost pickup route, but another user (was it you?  Don't recall...) mentioned that the height adjust set screws did not align well with the milled grooves on the bridge plate (JTV-69).  Also, I believe that a set of (6) with the proper offset was a special order from GraphTec.

It was not me.  I have a 69S but with the stock bridge and pickups.  I put the ghost pickups on my 500 over a year ago.  I have not had any dropout problems yet with my 69S but I had them a few times with the 500 and I am absolutely sure it was grounding.  I could always get it back by fooling with the bridge.  The fixed bridge on the 500 was a good match for the ghost Strat pickups with the screw in the center.  I think they make offset ones now that may work with the JTV 69 but I have not looked into that other than seeing what goes on here.  The 500 sounds better with the ghost pickups but I had to drop the string volumes to about 50% to handle the far greater output from them.

According to SteveKC, the string volume adjustment happens in the digital domain after A-D conversion.  If that's the case, I'd be concerned about hotter pickupts overrunning the A-D stage.  I assume you're not hearing any such ugliness?

OK I've recently gotten the high E, low level problem and this has been my solution. So far it works and is  cheap and easy. Apparently the connection to ground happens due to the contact between the piezo and bridge itself. There seems to be some slop in there so I can see how it could get grimy in there and create a less than good connection for ground. I sprayed some electronic cleaner into the piezo area using the thin straw and so far...Problem Solved!!!!!!  i specifically used Radio Shack's Precision Electronics Cleaner. It leaves no residue although when you first spray you'll probably start cursing.me. But I swear it goes away. It's been two weeks. I have changed my string and resprayed all the piezos again. I attempt to change my strings every month so I'll let you know if the cleansing keeps the problem away for a month. I think just a monthly squirt of electronics cleaner will end your string lownessdullness factor. Mostly because it's taken a year (or more) for this problem to start.

I've recently bought a new JTV69s and tonight the G string kept dropping out. After unplugging and plugging back in the string was back, only to drop out again some minutes later. Will check brue58ski's solution to see if that helps.

Sorry, no change. The piezo works when totally out of the bridge, just not when in place. (Off to the repairer?)

• 8 months later...

got a jtv 69 about a week ago

1. plays almost ok in normal mode.. problem : the 1st E string has a bit lower in volume than all other strings)

2. in variax mode the 1st E and the 2nd B string volume is much lower .. say about 4 to 6 db.. 

3. the 1st E string is the lowest..

4. the 4th D string is a bit low too but workable..

5. the 3rd G string is the loudest..

6. ******   this is happening consistently across all the models********. 

now, i know string volume can be adjusted using workbench..but adjusting all the volume of all the strings across all the models is an unrealistic solution

how do i make all the strings sound equal ??????? please help  

HD workbench has the ability to set global string levels.  Many of us have noted the soft High-E and B strings.  It's particularly bad on the Spank models.  I dropped the lower four strings about 6db on mine and it seems to have much better balance.

got a jtv 69 about a week ago

1. plays almost ok in normal mode.. problem : the 1st E string has a bit lower in volume than all other strings)

2. in variax mode the 1st E and the 2nd B string volume is much lower .. say about 4 to 6 db..

3. the 1st E string is the lowest..

4. the 4th D string is a bit low too but workable..

5. the 3rd G string is the loudest..

6. ****** this is happening consistently across all the models********.

now, i know string volume can be adjusted using workbench..but adjusting all the volume of all the strings across all the models is an unrealistic solution

how do i make all the strings sound equal ??????? please help

If it really is consistent across all the models, then adjusting the global string volumes in workbench should take care of the problem. However, you may find that the more you mess around with the guitar, some models may have more pronounced string-to-string volume issues than others. I have found that to be the case, particularly with the Strat models. In that case, the only solution is to adjust the volumes on the individual model(s) in question until they sound balanced. I have tweaked most of the models I use regularly. Doesn't take long once you're used to it...and generally you should only have to do it once. Just make sure you keep all your settings if you're updating the firmware.

• 1 month later...

my jtv 69 .. 3 rd string is mute in all modeling sounds,,,,

have tried firmware refresh ...

bought it about 2 months ago from amazone..

please help

As always, anything is possible, but the two most likely explanations are:

1) The piezo is dead, or

2) There's a connection problem somewhere, perhaps where the wire from the piezo connects to the small circuit board attached to the sustain block, underneath the bridge. They are very thin leads. Wouldn't take much for a poorly done solder joint to break loose.

Could also be that the G string's volume was turned to zero in Workbench...though that seems rather unlikely unless you were messing around with that.

how is line 6 in resolving warranty issues ???

Worms, anyone? Faisal has just opened a fresh can. ;)

They fixed my rattling L2T. Took 2 tries. The first attempt was done at a local "authorized service center", which imho is roughly analogous to having your bowel resection done by Sal, the neighborhood butcher, but I digress...L6 paid the shipping the next time, and the 2nd repair seems to be holding up so far. 6 or 7 months now, and no more problems.

• 3 years later...