7 replies to this topic

#1 steevw7

steevw7

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

I recently bought a used JTV-69 from a studio that used it for 1 session (great deal). Took it to my tech for a setup and I noticed my g string sounds dull. Doesn't ring clear like the rest. Doesn't appear to be a nut issue as the fretted notes do it too. Also, sounds dull without being plugged in. Changed strings twice..tried 010's and 009's. Anyone out there have this issue? Maybe a saddle issue?

thx guys

#2 thorneven

thorneven

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Location"Upstate" New York

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

I have a similar issue.  I wouldn't call it a "dull" string.  I would say the G string's volume is simply not as loud as the other strings.  Since all the string volumes are at max in my case (and which is the default), it's probably a good idea to achieve unity gain (all volumes the same) which means lowering the volume on the other strings to match the volume of the G string when the G string is at max volume.

Then again, maybe your problem is indeed a dull sound which may be a faulty piezo pickup.

JTV59 cherry sunburst with EMG H4 pickups / Vetta 2 / Behringer FCB1010

#3 steevw7

steevw7

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:44 AM

Doubt it's the piezo since it still sounds that way when unplugged. String just doesn't ring or sustain....open or fretted.

#4 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

Doubt it's the piezo since it still sounds that way when unplugged. String just doesn't ring or sustain....open or fretted.

Have you tried another set of strings?  There may be an issue with the material the string is made from.  Also worth checking the bridge saddle and the nut under a magnifying glass.  If the bridge saddle is loose in the bridge that can soak up energy and dull out the string.  Ditto if the nut slot is slanted in the wrong direction.   If all else fails, try raising the action a bit and see if that helps.

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#5 steevw7

steevw7

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Cool, I'll take a look closer at the bridge. The nut seems ok as it still does it on fretted notes. tried 2 sets on strings. thx all!

#6 psarkissian

psarkissian

Line 6 Staff

• Service Engineer Moderator
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

-Set-Up: string action height of the individual piezo, go to a guitar tech or set-up tech for this. Leave it to a pro, I can't count how many times I've had to undo someone else's good hearted attempt at a guitar set-up.

-Burr in the nut slot. They ought to be de-burred from time to time by a guitar tech. Had a few come back where someone would do it themselves and sand the slot too deep trying to remove a burr, and it required a new string nut.

-String going out, G's are the worst for this sort of thing.

-Changing string gauges when you change strings throws off the Set-Up. If you changes gauges when you change strings (a set with 9-gauge instead of a set with a 10-gauge), then a guitar tech will need to do a new set-up on it for the new gauge and tension.

#7 steevw7

steevw7

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

So you know, had it set up twice by a local tech. Although he is not familiar with variax. Played a gig over the weekend and it was ok, but still, my 300 plays better. I just don't get that. Looking for someone to do a proper setup and troubleshoot on these is not easy. Any suggestions? I am in south jersey.

#8 psarkissian

psarkissian

Line 6 Staff

• Service Engineer Moderator
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

When a piezo goes out, it goes out. Since you say that it sounds dull even when it's not plugged in, more than likely something loose mechanically between the bridge and the tuning machines. Could be the nut slots need to be de-burred, the string button end might not be seated properly,..... I see those two way too often.

Line 6 Customer Support can point you to an authorized service center in your area who would know Line 6 products. Sending it to Line 6 for servicing if the other options are exhausted. Get with Line 6 Customer Support for those options.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jtv-69

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users