Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT-25 & Pod HD 500x not working on certain preamp models?

Hopefully someone here can please help me out.

I bought a Line 6 DT-25 amp today to go with my POD HD 500x. The DT-25 states only to use the pre amp models since that is what it is designed for. My issue is something is definitely not working right. For example I love the PHD Motorway tone (Dr. Z) and when I create a new patch with this preamp model I get ZERO breakup/dirt/distortion even with the Gain Maxed out to 100%. It is as clear as a Fender BLK face. its not just the PHD Motorway preamp model but also the Brit J45, Plexi lead & Brit P 75. They all sound exactly the same even with the gain at 100%. Turning up the master etc just makes for very loud cleans. I cant figure this out because if I use the very high gain pre models like the Rectifier etc turning the Gain actually increases the dirt/distortion like it should.

Ive tried maxing the gain along with the volume, dropping the DT25 to 10 watts instead of 25 and it is still crystal cleans. I even switched guitars from my Strat to my Schecter Hellraiser with Active EMG's to see if that would help and still nothing. Its just absolute pristine cleans like the amp/patch is not even working.

I know this cant be right and I'm not sure if I have something hooked up wrong. I can change the preamp to the Rectifier model and I get plenty of gain distortion so I can't figure this out.

I know I can put a tube overdrive pedal etc in front of it and get the sound that way but the preamp model should have some kind of characteristic from the Dr Z amp shine through on its own.

I bought the DT25 since the amp reconfigures the power stage to match the preamp in the POD and it is definitely not working that way.

Could my POD HD gone bad? Im using a regular XLR microphone cable to link the amp and pod ..is that ok or could it be a bad cable? Im not familiar with XLR cables at all. I was told you dont have to buy the Line 6 Link cable because any XLR will work and if you get any sound at all its working so I doubt its the cable. Is the amp possibly no good? I have rechecked all my setting etc in the POD and I am at a loss on what to do. 

Thanks for any help suggestions.

quite a problem you have!  ok so the XLR cable is ok, just carries a digital signal so it either works or it doesn't. 

Did you buy the DT new or used?

What happens if the DT is not connected, same patch, using headphones?  Still no change with the gain? 

When you are connected, have you tried using the gain knob on the DT? 

Did you make sure you are not in LVM on the DT?

What happens if you use a PHD full amp model through the DT?  Does the gain work?

quite a problem you have!  ok so the XLR cable is ok, just carries a digital signal so it either works or it doesn't. 

Did you buy the DT new or used?

What happens if the DT is not connected, same patch, using headphones?  Still no change with the gain? 

When you are connected, have you tried using the gain knob on the DT? 

Did you make sure you are not in LVM on the DT?

What happens if you use a PHD full amp model through the DT?  Does the gain work?

Thanks for the reply.

1) I bought it used 

2) tried with headphones and its exactly the same ...no gain at all. 

3) Yes I tried the Gain knob on the amp and it didnt help

4) Not in LVM 

5) Same thing when using the full model....maybe just maybe the slightest hint of some breakup but I know its not anywhere near what its supposed to be

All good questions man I appreciate it.....Im losing my mind today over this...its crazy

Man not sure what just happened there! 

Lets try again 

1) bought used 

2) tried headphones same result 

3) Gain knob no effect 

4) Not in LVM 

5) Same thing with full model....maybe the tiniest amount of the start of some breakup but nowhere where it is should be 

All good questions man I appreciate it....Losing my mind today over this...its crazy

Sound doent change besides volume tweaking controls on Pod or Amp....and yes the DT25 is set to channel A.

Thanks for replying....Do you guys think there is something wrong with my POD? I really dont think its the amp. I can plug in direct to the amp and get plenty of gain. Its only on certain preamp models. 

Well, I went down and tried this out myself with my 500 and DT-25, and I've got to say, it just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of gain available with that pre model. I do remember perhaps a few people bringing this up before. I just don't think there's a lot of breakup happening in the pre section of that model. If you set the power amp to Class A and Triode on the DT25, it does give a little more break up.

Check this guy out demoing the PHD Motorway out of the box no effects on the patch Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMXQBurrcg  . When you get to the 4:40 mark he has the gain at 70% and it just sounds awesome. Really good breakup and great tone. If I put my gain on 70% it sounds like a Fender clean with absolutely no breakup. A huge difference from what sound he is getting. I realize he is using the "Full" amp model but even if I use the full model it sounds the same as the pre model. I even switch my guitar from the Strat to the active humbucker EMGS in my Schecter and still no dice. 

Thanks you guys for trying to help me. Im tempted to just go buy another pod hd tomorrow at Guitar Center and see if that fixes it and if it doesnt then return it. Hate to do that though but man this is killing me!! 

I did a reflash on the POD a couple times tonight but didnt help. Im not sure if I am doing the reset correctly though. From what I understand you power the unit off then hold the left move arrow button while powering up? Ive done that a couple times and it didnt do anything but turn on. Maybe if I can get it reset to factory defaults it will fix it? I dont care if t wipes every patch out Im willing to start over if everything will work correctly. 

I played around with mine today and honestly, the drive has very little of what you would expect.  With drive at 30% there is still slight breakup but the tone is a little trebbly and thin.  Drive at 70% breakup is about the same but the tone thickens up and there are more lower mids.  Bottom line, nothing wrong with your POD but this is not what you would have expected the drive knob to do for this amp...

I like the full version of the Dr Z into FRFR speakers (especially with a tube screamer) but didn't really like it into the Dt25. Like you said, not enough crunchy gain.

I have found that most amp pre's into the Dt25 have more responsive gain and better feel with input 2 on the Hd500 set to same.

But when I use full versions into a PA speaker, I set input 2 to aux.

Not sure if that's the common practice, but it's a system that has worked well for me.