Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recommended installation order for Line 6 on Windows?

Vocalpoint

Morning,

I am building a new DAW with Windows 10 and have run into all sorts of nonsense with the Line 6 stuff - specifically what order to install things in. If I follow the "line 6" accepted documentation outlined in this PDF

"POD HD Pro X Install Guide"

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434c0c0752431358ba12f/application/pdf/POD%20HD%20Pro%20X%20Install%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

It tells me the download this file - POD HD Pro X Edit v2.26 Installer.exe

Which contains everything I need: Drivers, Monkey, Lic Manager and of course Pro X Editor.

So I run it and install everything as noted. It completes. I am waiting for my "drivers" prompt to appear since the drivers are the key piece of this. I never get a drivers prompt. Matter of fact - that "install" guide listed above - never mentions drivers, what to do once installed or anything.

So I decide to fire up Monkey - which is only at 1.70 with this Pro Edit Installer. I update Monkey to 1.71 and run it. It tells me that I have no drivers anywhere for the HD Pro X. So I download this file:

Line 6 Drivers v4.2.7.1 Installer

Which I run and I finally get some driver action and get the unit installed.

So given all this back and forth - what the heck is the right way to install a Line 6 device in Windows so everything is installed logically and in the correct order?

Clearly this POD HD Pro X Edit v2.26 Installer.exe  does pretty much nothing except install the Edit app.

Appreciate some insight from the field.

Cheers!

VP

Start with Line 6 Monkey. Install that and then launch/run it with your Pod device connected. It will guide you through the installation of all other components. Begin with the Drivers and follow Monkey's prompts closely, especially concerning when to disconnect/reconnect your Pod device. Then the device firmware, and finally the edit program.

The manual you cited above is titled the Pod HD ProX Edit installation guide. It only deals with the edit program.

A word of caution though. Line 6 is still working on providing reliable Win 10 drivers for all devices and systems. You may find that you still have USB communication issues although you are using the right installation procedures.

Start with Line 6 Monkey. Install that and then launch/run it with your Pod device connected. It will guide you through the installation of all other components. Begin with the Drivers and follow Monkey's prompts closely, especially concerning when to disconnect/reconnect your Pod device. Then the device firmware, and finally the edit program.

The manual you cited above is titled the Pod HD ProX Edit installation guide. It only deals with the edit program.

A word of caution though. Line 6 is still working on providing reliable Win 10 drivers for all devices and systems. You may find that you still have USB communication issues although you are using the right installation procedures.

Silverhead,

Understood.

However - Line 6 probably needs to revise their documentation because this Pod HD Pro X Edit installer - is supposed to do it all in one pass (see attachment). If it does not actual "install" these things to a working state - then why exactly am I prompted to install them as part of this routine? Or - better yet - why are they even included in this installer?

When I saw this installer - I was actually excited to see it since it looked to me like I could do everything in one pass.

Bottom line - this "edit" installer is either bogus or simply does not work and needs to be fixed.

Thanks for the update - made notes for "next time" :)

Cheers!

VP

post-1161-0-54204100-1440084454_thumb.jpg

Hi

I did the same thing, but that how it works - Base installation is done with ea the POD HD Pro X Edit v2.26 Installer. In the Monkey you then see what to upgrade from the base. Before I upgraded my Win10 I checked what was compatible on Line6 site. The Monkey and the Line 6 Drivers v4.2.7.1 Installer was labeled Win 10 compliant (even if the drivers were old). Line 6 will continue to uppgrade all the parts in the base installer when needed - Monkey, drivers etc. But Monkey guides you. 

I installed the "Installer" (have the POD HD Pro) upgraded the drivers and reinstalled Monkey 1.71 and the then tested it, no problem - Tested Monkey, Edit, and used my POD as a soundcard in playback. Have problem with my daw so I could not test recording. Think I ended up with about 10-12 ms latency in my first test, no optimization. OK for me. 

Looking forward to new drivers though...

//Per