Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mic is very quiet when recording.

So recently purchased my AT2035 and Line 6 UX2. While I have some knowledge of audio interfaces, I find myself a bit lost when it comes to my microphone's specific issue. I have found that the microphone levels are very low and even with a volume boost it sounds rather low quality. 

I have tested my mic with no presets and it sounds very quiet reaching only roughly around -25 db. post-2216975-0-91494900-1440284347_thumb.png

I have also tested various presets and have found using the default studio vocal preset to be the best; a bit louder, but still very quiet. It may also be important to note that the Mic 1/L Gain is in this position: post-2216975-0-09392000-1440285081_thumb.jpg

Below I have posted screenshots of my UX2 audio interface and have given a small audio sample. The first half of the audio file is with no pre-amps or effects added and the second half contains the default studio vocal preset. I still believe the mic to be too quiet and am at a loss as to what is causing this. Any help is greatly appreciated!

post-2216975-0-39118300-1440284328_thumb.png

post-2216975-0-65415400-1440284333_thumb.png

post-2216975-0-91547300-1440284340_thumb.png

post-2216975-0-10064700-1440284353_thumb.png

Mic.mp3

Yes. The +48v button is on and my UX2 level meters are registering my mic. I turned on the DUAL button in Pod Farm and set the second input to "Same as tone A". It is a little better now, but it still comes out pretty quiet.

You know, I missed the picture of your gain knob before. Am I missing something or is only at about 10 o'clock? I've found with most condensers, I have to have the gain up above 3 o'clock or ever higher. Do you have the meters on the UX2 set to be pre? If so, you should be able to see what kind of levels you're getting from the mic from just reading them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "set to be pre", but I have my meters set to show input. The meters on the ux2 go up a little more when I put the gain to 3 o'clock and it's a bit louder, still a bit to quiet from what i've seen others experience, but it's not as crisp now. I'm guessing that's just a side affect of raising the gain. 

Mic 3 oclock.mp3 No effects

Mic 3 oclock effects.mp3 Studio Vocal Preset

Any tips on making it sound a bit cleaner? Perhaps a noise gate or equalizer?

Edit: added mic test with Studio vocal preset

• 6 years later...
16 hours ago, blueguitarbooth said:

I have the new UX2 Line 6 I use an electric and acoustic guitar, I am having an awful time getting volume out of my acoustic I can't even record It's a Taylor.

Are you recording using a mic or direct from the Taylor’s 1/4” output? Have you followed the guidance in the thread above your post? Does your Taylor have an on-board preamp?

17 hours ago, blueguitarbooth said:

I have the new UX2 Line 6 I use an electric and acoustic guitar, I am having an awful time getting volume out of my acoustic I can't even record It's a Taylor.

First thing to check is to make sure the guitar is not the fault. Do you have a PA or amp you can plug the Taylor into?  When you plug a cable into the Taylor, look inside, can you see the red light from the preamp?