Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd 500 Midi Gurus I Need Help!

alexisltd

The thing is that I have a tc electronic nova drive that I wanted to control with my pod hd 500 ... the issue is that the nova drive only has 18 presets of which I only use 2 banks of 4 sound (clean boost, crunch overdrive, distortion and distortion + overdive) my question is: can the pod hd 500 do some kind of mapping so that no matter the bank or preset that has the hd500 if I wanted to assign any of my 4 presets in the nova drive  to any patch or bank hd 500? e.g Bank 16 preset 4 in the pod hd but in the nova drive the pod send a message to recall bank 1 preset 1 in the nova drive?

Thanks in advance...

MIDI control messages can be set per footswitch/expression pedal, per patch on the HD500, so you can certainly select a Nova Drive preset by using an individual footswitch (FS 1 - 8). You will have to set up the MIDI control for each HD patch you use.

As far as I'm aware, the MIDI CC commands are not sent on patch select, so it won't set the Nova Drive preset automatically on patch change.

Regards

its not the same thing i realize...

but running an m5 in the loop of my hd500 with midi connected...

its as easy as selecting whatever i want on the m5, and saving the tone...

when i switch to that tone on the hd500, it selects the preset that i selected and saved.

have you tried something to this effect?

MIDI control messages can be set per footswitch/expression pedal, per patch on the HD500, so you can certainly select a Nova Drive preset by using an individual footswitch (FS 1 - 8). You will have to set up the MIDI control for each HD patch you use.

As far as I'm aware, the MIDI CC commands are not sent on patch select, so it won't set the Nova Drive preset automatically on patch change.

Regards

Actually Zap what you have is a consequence of the HD500 automatically transmitting Program Change everytime you change the patch in the HD500.

It is changing the M5 patch automatically in synch with the HD500 (this is a deliberate design by Line 6).

The problem alex is going have is that the HD500 range of PC is way beyond what the nova has and what happens will depend on how it maps messages that are outside of its range.

The HD500 doesn't support a MIDI mapping for the output of these standard messages, and unless the nova does have a mapping on the input (some units do) he has no choice but to set the two units to different midi channels (so they ignore each other) and as greg says to program a few of the buttons to explicitly send a PC message on the nova's midi channel.

Which he will have to do every time he changes HD 500 Patch... or do the simple thing and just press the pedals on the nova... (sometimes simplest is best)

Personally I have a midi connected laptop (running VSTi's) and the software allows for mapping of pretty much anything so I would use that, but my set-up is rather more complex than most guitarists want.

Thanks for the info... when i first had the idea of trying this i sat down expecting to learn lots of midi and figure it out...

was quite surprised at how simple it was...

certainly not a midi guru... :)

Actually Zap what you have is a consequence of the HD500 automatically transmitting Program Change everytime you change the patch in the HD500.

It is changing the M5 patch automatically in synch with the HD500 (this is a deliberate design by Line 6).

The problem alex is going have is that the HD500 range of PC is way beyond what the nova has and what happens will depend on how it maps messages that are outside of its range.

The HD500 doesn't support a MIDI mapping for the output of these standard messages, and unless the nova does have a mapping on the input (some units do) he has no choice but to set the two units to different midi channels (so they ignore each other) and as greg says to program a few of the buttons to explicitly send a PC message on the nova's midi channel.

Which he will have to do every time he changes HD 500 Patch... or do the simple thing and just press the pedals on the nova... (sometimes simplest is best)

Personally I have a midi connected laptop (running VSTi's) and the software allows for mapping of pretty much anything so I would use that, but my set-up is rather more complex than most guitarists want.

Another possibility: Add a MIDI Event Processor between the POD and the Nova that can be programmed to make the specific mapping. IMO a worthwile investment.

That's a cool device, not exactly cheap at $129 USD but cheaper and probably more reliable for most people than the small laptop I use for Keyboard PC mapping (does other things too like running VSTi).  

You will need a computer with MIDI interface to program it using the dedicated editor (via SYSEX), 

And its not available in the UK for some reason  :(