17 replies to this topic

#1 CraigDavson

CraigDavson

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

Small thing here first. When I bought my stagescape mixer the retail guy said the reverb settings in it had specific settings built in as well as the ability to mix your own. he made it out that if I wanted to do Sinatra style songs there was a ready made mix to have that sound...Is this the case.
Secondly... the wifi ipad connection. Does the stage scape have a built in router. I am in NZ so getting the wifi USB that can be bought in the States isn't that simple. I have tried a wifi USB but it wouldn't get picked up by my ipad. Any ideas

#2 jeanpicasso

jeanpicasso

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

I havent seen any specific kinds of effect setup for a specific style on the M20D. It may be there somewhere, i just havent seen it.

regarding WIFI, you should browse around this forum a bit. theres loads of information about what works and what doesnt. :)

M20D doesnt have a built in router. you connect via either USB WIFI dongle (search around for what models are working) or via a external router with a USB to RJ45 cable.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

G'day from just across the ditch, Craig...

(And another for Jean who's a little bit further North.)

...the retail guy said the reverb settings in it had specific settings built in as well as the ability to mix your own. he made it out that if I wanted to do Sinatra style songs there was a ready made mix to have that sound...Is this the case...

As Russell Crowe, John Key and Tana Umaga keep telling me, "Kiwis never lie", ...so your retailer was indeed telling the truth.

While there's nothing actually labelled "Frank Sinatra", (or "John Key", for that matter) loading any of the presets as per page 3.4 of the manual, (in the case in point, probably "Male Vocal") will grant you instant "Tweak" access to a whole range of appropriate options from the M20d's comprehensive inbuilt "library" of effects and dynamic controls.

The best way is to put on some headsets and take the trouble to spend many happy hours singing or replaying something through the desk while you experiment with the vast array of facilities you now command. 

...regarding WIFI, you should browse around this forum a bit. there's loads of information about what works and what doesn't. :)

M20D doesnt have a built in router. you connect via either USB WIFI dongle (search around for what models are working) or via a external router with a USB to RJ45 cable.

...And when you follow Jean's sage advice, you'll find that most folk feel that the RJ45 cable to a wireless router with a decent antenna is definitely the better option.

#4 CraigDavson

CraigDavson

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

I havent seen any specific kinds of effect setup for a specific style on the M20D. It may be there somewhere, i just havent seen it.

regarding WIFI, you should browse around this forum a bit. theres loads of information about what works and what doesnt. :)

tt

G'day from just across the ditch, Craig...

(And another for Jean who's a little bit further North.)

As Russell Crowe, John Key and Tana Umaga keep telling me, "Kiwis never lie", ...so your retailer was indeed telling the truth.

While there's nothing actually labelled "Frank Sinatra", (or "John Key", for that matter) loading any of the presets as per page 3.4 of the manual, (in the case in point, probably "Male Vocal") will grant you instant "Tweak" access to a whole range of appropriate options from the M20d's comprehensive inbuilt "library" of effects and dynamic controls.

The best way is to put on some headsets and take the trouble to spend many happy hours singing or replaying something through the desk while you experiment with the vast array of facilities you now command. 

...And when you follow Jean's sage advice, you'll find that most folk feel that the RJ45 cable to a wireless router with a decent antenna is definitely the better option.

Thanks guys,

appreciate the replies.

#5 petepraise

petepraise

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hi Craig, I had a terrible time getting the stagescape to recognise a wi-fi device however - thanks to this forum I found one and lucky for me it was in a local retailer (Argos) and the last one in stock. I'm in Scotland. I bought the one recommended by line 6 and nothing, tried two I had in the house, nothing even tried to work but when I plugged in the Samsung bang 10 seconds and the desk said Wi-Fi active.
The unit was the Samsung WIS12ABGNX
A couple of things using it live, I use the iPad in an iodock for our trax so when we recorded the songs I had to take it out the dock and connect it to the desk. Sometimes the desk didn't find it strait away. Sometimes this was because I had not connected to stagescape in the iPad wifi settings page then go to the app. However there was a time when I had done this and still no connection. I found if I unplugged the Samsung and plugged it back in the iPad connected strait away.

Reverb wise I just used male/female with reverb and adjusted to taste. I will use Ron's suggestion now though and try settings using the trax we recorded- hadn't occurred to me - thanks Ron.
Hope this helps
PP

#6 CraigDavson

CraigDavson

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Looks like my best bet over here to fix the wifi prob is an apple air... apparently it will do what I want but at quite a price which is pretty bloody annoying considering the desk has cost me more than enough and now I have to go out and spend a fair amount more to get it to do something I was lead to believe would be a very easy and inexpensive thing to accomplish.

#7 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

You can spend less and have less performance, I'm sure things aren't cheap in Aus, which probably makes the option of and apple USB to Ethernet cable and a router less attractive. But the truth is it works a heck of a lot better than any USB wifi dongle. I bought the Samsung WIS12ABGNX that Pete referred to but got sketchy performance depending on whether or not there were other stronger wifi signals in the room. After laying out that money, I bought the cable and another airport express just for gigging. It was worth it to me. All my band members can tweak their own monitor mixes from their own iPads, and we can do the virtual sound check out front.
I know it sucks to have to lay out extra money, but comparatively, I think even without this feature this board is well worth the money. I'm not sure how much more it would have cost us if they built a wifi router (not dongle strength) right into the unit. Then people without iPads or who won't use the feature would be paying for something they don't need.

#8 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

I'm very happy to hear that Apple Air is working "a heck of a lot better than any USB dongle", because, on my side unfortunately, it is not the case. I recently purchased the Apple items , after connection, the Apple box is flashing "amber color" not green...The M20d does not display the green message "wi-fi connectded" as it is the case when I plug the previous USB router and the i-pad remote mixer is working normally.<br />What can I test, check, replace to make it work correctly? I have already spent a mass of hours looking for the source of the "bug".<br />Ron, you have probably an added-valued advice... I suppose?<br />I have tested several RJ45 cable without success. Between the two RJ45 ports of the APPLE router, I use the wi-fi one, not the ethernet one, correct? Anyway I have already tested the two options. I have tested the router with my MacPro, it is OK, then the router itself is OK. The adapter RJ45/USB is a APPLE model and brand new.<br />Thank you for advice!<br />Pierre<br />

#9 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Which apple device are you using.  Mine flashes amber as well still works perfectly while flashing amber.  I have the newer airport express, it has two inputs for the RJ45 connection, one has sort of a snowflake icon over the top and one has <---> except the dashes are dots.  This is the one to plug into.  Lastly, the M20d should show in green "Status: Ethernet connected" then it's just a matter of going into your ipad and making sure that you are on the stagescape wifi connection and that you have entered the correct password for the stagescape wifi network (if you created a password for it) and that you have entered the Security pin from the stagescape.  Once you have all that set up you should be able to connect in a jiff.

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

...Ron, you have probably an added-valued advice... I suppose?

The jury is "still out" as far as me adding any value, Pierre...  :lol:

...but to clarify the (typically) excellent advice from litesnsirens...

...Between the two RJ45 ports of the APPLE router, I use the wi-fi one, not the ethernet one, correct?...

The RJ45 connection between your Apple router and your M20d must be "ethernet to ethernet" and it's important to note that

...Mine flashes amber as well, still works perfectly while flashing amber...

#11 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

I have plug the RJ45 into the ethernet slot, as recommanded by Ron and litesnsirens, thank you for advice
My routeur is a brand new airPort Express 802.11n wi-fi. And I also pur hased the Apple usb/RJ45 adapter
The light is still flashing "amber" and the M20d displays the message : : No remotes Connected / Status : connecting to ethernet network..... But indefinitely lookinf for ....
And of course, the ipad doest fing any wifi connection ! I've tried different RJ45 cables, with no more results
Any suggestion?

#12 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Mine is the new airport express as well and I also have the Apple adaptor.  There are two ethernet ports on the back a WAN and an labelled as 4 and 5 respectively on the photo.  You should be plugged into the LAN #5.  There should be a tiny green light inside the square (labelled as #2) to show a good connection.  Perhaps try a hard reset on the Airport express by using a pen to hold in the little button #8 for 5 seconds until the light rapidly flashes amber then let go.  It will take up to 45 seconds for the unit to come online again after a hard reset.  

Attached Files

#13 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Q: I am unable to connect my iPad to my StageScape with an Apple Airport Express.  What gives?

A: Be sure to check to that the light on the front of your Airport Express is solid green and NOT blinking amber.  If the light on your Airport Express is blinking amber, you probably have to run the Airport Utility to setup and configure your Airport Express.  On windows you will have to download this Airport Utility program and install it from the apple downloads page, but if you have a Mac computer, the Airport Utillity will already be on your computer in Applications>Utilities>Airport Utility.  Go through the steps to setup your Airport Express in that utility program.  Don't worry if the utility prompts you to create a password for your Airport Express, that will only be applicable for creating a network connected to the internet, and will not apply for connection between your iPad and StageScape.

Q: I updated the firmware on my StageScape M20d, and now the StageScape App won't work?

A: The firmware on your StageScape M20d and the StageScape App must be the same version.  So if you updated the firmware on your mixer, be sure to download the updated App from the Apple App store.

Q: Which USB WiFi products are compatible with the StageScape M20d? 
A:  Only the EnGenius EUB-9801, Linksys AE1000 (AE1200 and AE2500 will not work), Samsung WIS10ABGN are compatible with the StageScape M20D. It is also possible to use Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter (UPC: 885909439560) and a WiFi Ethernet router.

Resource: 

StageScape M20d F.A.Q. http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2737     

and The following USB WiFi adapters are compatible with the M20D StageScape for use in conjunction with your iPad:

• Apple USB to Ethernet adapter (UPC: 885909439560) in conjunction with a WiFi Ethernet router
    • Recommended WiFi Routers
      • Cisco Linksys E2500
      • Belkin N600
      • Apple Airport Express
      • Any Router with DHCP
  • EnGenius EUB-9801
  • The Apple Airport Express has an 1/8" audio output that can be connected into the StageScape M20d.  When you do this, you can play music from your iPad's music library while using the StageScape app.  This allows you to play audio from your iPad through your StageScape without preparing a SD card.

Resource: 

WiFi USB Adapter & SD card Compatibility and Connectivity

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2734

I was able to find the EnGenius EUB-9801 slightly used on Ebay for $24 but now I am thinking about the remote media player with the Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter (UPC: 885909439560) and a Apple Airport Express.

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#14 jeanpicasso

jeanpicasso

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

Make sure you have it set to DHPC/NAT (i think thats what its called) and not set to BRIDGE mode.

#15 case67

case67

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Germany

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Yesterday i attached the Apple stuff to the M20d: USB to Ethernet connector, new Airport Express, iPad3.

Although i do not like the Apple stuff i have to say that this combination works without any problem.

It is good to have the 'Airport' app on the iPad installed, so you can configure the Airport Express from the iPad.

The LED colour on the Airport is amber when there are 'issues' like 'Not connected to Internet' or 'No DNS server found'.

But you do not neccessarily need an Internet connection on the Airport Express when you just want a WiFi connection from the iPad to the M20d.

In the 'Airport' configuration app i could 'switch off' all those messages and then the LED colour was green!

I use the Airport Express in DHCP/NAT mode. I do not attach an 'Internet modem' to the snowflake ethernet port.

The <...> ethernet port is connected with the USB to Ethernet connector which is connected tot the M20d.

Today i will try the Airplay feature of the Airport Express.

#16 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

ALLELUIAH! Thanks to the basic advice of Litesnsirens, I pushed the "reset" button of the Appe router, and MIRACLE it connected to my Ipad even with the amber light flashing.
MANY THANKS to your help, I have a gig tonight, hoping that it will keep on working.
I have also learned that to use the the ipad as a music source to the M20d, it is required to use the analogic port of Apple router and M20d, I thought that the usb port was the enry port. I will try.

This forum is of GREAT help for the LINE6 products users.

#17 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

Glad to hear you got it running.  I'm sure it will work fine for your gig tonight, once you get the initial setup it'r pretty rock solid.

#18 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

I noticed that EACH TIME I've used the Apple Airport for wi-fi purpose with my Macbook Pro, and want to use it with i-pad/M20d, I have to RESET it before using it with M20d via RJ45/USD adapter. I spent long minutes before a gig last saturday waiting for the M20d green message "wi-fi connected" before remembering to reboot the router! EUREKA! I was happy because, I plugged my "old" LINKSYS USB device I had in spare, but it was loosing the connection each 5 mn ..., then with the APPLE AIRPORT, I kept control 2 hours long. YES! This APPLE device is definitely more stable!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users