Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELP -- JTV59 wont "turn on"

I have not used the guitar or entire Dream Rig in about six months, and everything was fine then.

Wanted to use it on a gig tomorrow night.   Got all three pieces out tonight....DT50 - HD500X and JTV59.

All good except Variax will do nothing -- using VDI cable from guitar to POD.....tried another CAT5E cable....nothing.   The lights on the model and tuning knobs do not light up.....I did not try a battery yet.   

I connected to HD500 Edit and made sure the presets were all as they should be.   They were just like the last time I used it.

I have not updated and fimware since last summer....so I know it's nothing like that.   

This must be a hardware problem.

Has anyone seen this problem?   

I have not used the guitar or entire Dream Rig in about six months, and everything was fine then.

Wanted to use it on a gig tomorrow night.   Got all three pieces out tonight....DT50 - HD500X and JTV59.

All good except Variax will do nothing -- using VDI cable from guitar to POD.....tried another CAT5E cable....nothing.   The lights on the model and tuning knobs do not light up.....I did not try a battery yet.   

I connected to HD500 Edit and made sure the presets were all as they should be.   They were just like the last time I used it.

I have not updated and fimware since last summer....so I know it's nothing like that.   

This must be a hardware problem.

Has anyone seen this problem?   

I can't help you with this out of my head.

But I presume you mean by that, that the Modelling doesn't produce/Model the sounds, not just LED problems (not common, if ever with these). Pressing the Model nob should make a mechanical audible sound. But do you perhaps also mean that the magnetic pickups are not working ('relay' switcher or the like doesn't work) either? Because VDI should allow the guitar to pass-on signal from the magnetic pickups without Modelling turned on (has to be specifically turned off), nor needing any power (whether empty/no battery, or dead power 'diverter'/'receiver'/'source'). "All good might mean those parts do work.

Feedback about that, and as you know trying the charged battery (EDIT: also with the VDI USB interface with a computer), also a 1/4" cable if normal signal isn't passed-on via VDI; all these steps will help (you and Line 6) clarify and isolate the faulty component or next steps, if the case, or what the actual source of the problem is.

EDIT (including some improvements): I remember something about the JTV-59 not having been equipped with a grounding cable internally or the like (could be visible if there is an opening at the back)? If the digital electronics is at fault, and I'm not mixing things up, it could be relevant. My 1ct.

Edited by ZenBalancer

With VDI, no battery inside, there is no sound at all.....pressing the model knob does not illuminate the LED, pressing the Alt Tuning knob does nothing.....no mags, no models nothing.

I just tried the battery, after charging it, plugged into 1/4 input.  Pressing the Model know still does not illuminate the LED.   Did not plug into amp dute to it being so late here.

I've never used the 1/4 input before.  Always used with the VDI cable, no battery ever put in guitar.

With VDI, no battery inside, there is no sound at all.....pressing the model knob does not illuminate the LED, pressing the Alt Tuning knob does nothing.....no mags, no models nothing.

I just tried the battery, after charging it, plugged into 1/4 input.  Pressing the Model know still does not illuminate the LED.   Did not plug into amp dute to it being so late here.

I've never used the 1/4 input before.  Always used with the VDI cable, no battery ever put in guitar.

How about using headphones in that combination (don't know your amp), to test it, if you really need to try to get something out of it by tomorrow? 1/4" to the HD500 should work as well, if it's the fault of the VDI connection (not cable, since you tried 2, so unlikely to be the cause). For the magnetic pickups at least (you know it doesn't require the battery nor VDI, in fact, to be sure, try it without the battery nor VDI).

Is it worth trying to see it possibly recognized by Line 6 Monkey or Workbench HD? (1/4" jack in good for that + volume nob not off)

EDIT: clarity.

Also, it might be wise to actively call for Line 6's input by opening a Support Ticket, since a staff member declared in another thread that this mainly is a user-forum and staff help when they can and deem necessary. Also especially since there is a normal expected lag of a few days between moment of ticket submission and Line 6 Support feedback.

Oh and BTW,... 

We staff monitor and help where needed, but this is

mainly a user forum. Sorry if you think we've somehow

been neglectful.

Also, did you check the battery level indicator on the guitar after you charged the battery? Because "no battery ever put in guitar" could also mean that your battery has died in the meantime (but the charger actually also has to blink with a shorter interval if that were the case, now that I think of it), (also) although unlikely for Li-ion batteries, which should be the one supplied with the recent JTVs. Because it might be another complication (blind spot) in this situation.

Also, you're sure it's not your POD HD500 volume nob/setting, could it? It would explain no sound at all. But that's too much of a rookie mistake (unlikely) and too coincidental with non-functioning-LEDs.

Edited by ZenBalancer

I put the battery in, after charging it, still nothing from the guitar.   I did not try to go from 1/4 to the amp.  If I can't use models, I will just take a different guitar to the gig.  I did open a ticket with Line6.   I am afraid there is something wrong with the power section inside the guitar.

Does the '59 use a push-on/push-off power switch arrangement similar to the '69?  The 69s are notorious for a failure mode where the plastic knob does not permit the on-off switch to be depressed far enough to engage.

I put the battery in, after charging it, still nothing from the guitar.   I did not try to go from 1/4 to the amp.  If I can't use models, I will just take a different guitar to the gig.  I did open a ticket with Line6.   I am afraid there is something wrong with the power section inside the guitar.

I assume also that POD HD500 is working fine with your other guitar(s). Because up until now either a meantime-faulty battery or non-functioning 'electricity relay' from the POD HD500 could have been the problem, from what I understand anyway. You also have not indicated that you were cognizant of the charger blinking LED interval (short=faulty; check its manual), nor the charged-level-indicator on the back of the guitar.

But if you suspect some parts of the digital electronics has been fried, the only thing that comes to mind that could have happened:

I remember something about the JTV-59 not having been equipped with a grounding cable internally or the like (could be visible if there is an opening at the back)? If the digital electronics is at fault, and I'm not mixing things up, it could be relevant. My 1ct.

Because otherwise..

The Variax 'digital durability/lifespan' should not be lessened by less, nor non-use, nor the reverse (24/365x10) use for that matter (that would have even been slightly more possible [maybe], like GPUs on laptops often with Desktop workloads that just poof..).

Does the '59 use a push-on/push-off power switch arrangement similar to the '69?  The 69s are notorious for a failure mode where the plastic knob does not permit the on-off switch to be depressed far enough to enage.

Do you mean even if his JTV-59 worked fine at least once before, the "failure mode" could happen to any Variax especially the JTV-69 guitars?

Pressing the Model nob should make a mechanical audible sound. 

This is a common problem when it won't turn on.  You should be able to control it through the VDI from the Pod though.

Common ( :ph34r:?) to all Line 6 Variax guitars including all of the JTVs? Or specifically common to all of the JTV generation guitars?

And that didn't happen; he wrote that he tested with 2 VDIs. Can you by the way turn off the modelling from the POD? I know through VDI with a powering unit should be able to turn on Modelling (I've only some experience with the Firehawk FX unit), and I read(past participle) somewhere that with a POD you can specify whether you can use magnetic pickups, or piezo, (the following 'is/was' in disagreement somewhat between Staff and a Member, non POD function: both mixed with settings through the Workbench HD) or 2 separate signal paths simultaneously, so it should mean that Modelling could be turned off instead of just using the magnetic pickup signal in the POD patch despite whether Modelling is on or off, since POD powers the guitar anyway (although the power saving would be for the environment).

Referencing:

Respectfully, I do not believe it is exclusively one or the other, mags or models -- as there are numerous threads on this forum that discuss the various ways to set up parallel path patches to make use of models on one path and the mags on the other at the same time. Plus in the HD Worbench software there is a specific setting for the ability to mix mag level with the model level, so no I don't think it's one or the other exclusively.

One of the first questions raised when someone is complaining about the dissonances heard when in an alt tuning is first - is the amplified signal louder than what is heard acoustically from the JTV, then is the mag/model mix on it's normal mag = 0 setting in WB. Some discussions were also folks wondering how to effectively use alt tunings to play harmonic offset models against the mag signals..... On the HD500(X) input parameter, we have VARIAX, MAGS, VARIAX+MAGS, etc. so we can send them down different routings when using the VDI.... The WB mix parameter would apply to both the VDI and the 1/4" route that is an analogue combination signal path. The VDI has 2 separate digital signal paths, should you choose to use them both.

Dave

Although posts are out of order:

Potential? No, at some point it will become a problem. It's an

output load thing to the amp circuit on the JTV main board. Both

JTV outputs are not designed to be used at the same time.

As for the other thing, since you can engage either Model or mags,..

... one or the other at a time, I'm not sure I see what the benefit is.

When magnetics are turned-on the Models are turned-off, and

vice versa. Not sure what you're trying to do there. Preset the

levels maybe?

Although the following is a comment in another thread:

Pseudo expert?

:mellow:   :ph34r:

Not the point.

You know your stuff, or worst-case: you don't while someone believed you, and either-way you don't seem to know it all, either.

Or he's talking about ~2010 JTVs? Pre-HD-capable (if that has anything to do with it; it shouldn't since its a the type of 'relay mechanism' used to either bypass, be part of the dual signal through the VDI, or mix the magnetic pickups' signal(s?) with the piezo+Modelling at-first-6-separate-digital-signals[right? or is it analog from the pieze that goes through a converter and only then through the Modelling output signal is from a digital production source?] before being eventually 'merged' (both magnetic pickups signal and digital merged signal then 'merged' as 1 signal path containing the mix) thus essentially both are ON simultaneously or is the magnetic pickup signal routed through the digital production source and not just simultaneously 'relayed' [that wouldn't make sense though, could be an unnecessary move, right?]?

Of course @psarkissian (I quote: "Line 6 Staff" so I'm not cognizant of an assumption on my part) is right about a possible insinuation (or my deduction, or whatever these words really mean and I'm misusing them unknowingly) that a user could never get the digital Model Alternate Tuning capability produce synchronous notes, that are the same with the physical string tuning if these are not 'routed' through for instance the Standard (no change/alteration) Tuning nob position, designed as it is now, without any 'wizardry' on the part of the user or service-center (unlikely feat for any at this phase of technological development present in the guitars; I'm no different).

But anyway, if the other users are right (I've not double checked), then that means that part of that statement is untrue, based on the feedback alone. But this is 'purely theoretical' on my part. I don't have the needed guitar equipment combo, to test this, although I do have some time.

But I digress again  -_-

EDITs: layout + some grammer + post-processing + clarity.

Edited by ZenBalancer

Wow.......lots of info.

1.  HD500X works beautifully with a non-Variax guitar.

2. No LEDs lit anywhere on guitar at all.

3. There is no mechanical click nor any tactile feel when pressing the model knob.   I will look into that.  I hope that is the problem. 

I have not played this rig since New Year's gig.   I use it when I have to be a "musical chameleon".  It was fine that night.  However, I did press the knob quite firmly that night.

Pulled the model knob off, added a good amount of material in the knob and put it back on.   Still nothing.

lollipop/poo[again](my bad this time), I should have pointed out based on the other user's feedback that you could just then push the 'axis' of the nob to test it, before raising the nob permanently; how are you going to remove the added material?  :blink: Is the raised nob 'action' still tactically ok? Not too high now?

EDIT#? (I've copied a 'redacted' version of what could still be the case from what I understand, I also understand how this could be exhausting with a relatively exhaustive overview):

But if you suspect some parts of the digital electronics has been fried, the only thing that comes to mind that could have happened:

I remember something about the JTV-59 not having been equipped with a grounding cable internally or the like (could be visible if there is an opening at the back)? If the digital electronics is at fault, and I'm not mixing things up, it could be relevant. My 1ct.

Because otherwise..

The Variax 'digital durability/lifespan' should not be lessened by less, nor non-use, nor the reverse (24/365x10) use for that matter (that would have even been slightly more possible [maybe], like GPUs on laptops often with Desktop workloads that just poof..).

This is a common problem when it won't turn on.  You should be able to control it through the VDI from the Pod though.

Common (  :ph34r:?) to all Line 6 Variax guitars including all of the JTVs? Or specifically common to all of the JTV generation guitars?

And that didn't happen; he wrote that he tested with 2 VDIs. Can you by the way turn off the modelling from the POD? I know through VDI with a powering unit should be able to turn on Modelling (I've only some experience with the Firehawk FX unit), and I read(past participle) somewhere that with a POD you can specify whether you can use magnetic pickups, or piezo, (the following 'is/was' in disagreement somewhat between Staff and a Member, non POD function: both mixed with settings through the Workbench HD) or 2 separate signal paths simultaneously, so it should mean that Modelling could be turned off instead of just using the magnetic pickup signal in the POD patch despite whether Modelling is on or off, since POD powers the guitar anyway (although the power saving would be for the environment).

Referencing:

How about using headphones in that combination (don't know your amp), to test it, if you really need to try to get something out of it by tomorrow? 1/4" to the HD500 should work as well, if it's the fault of the VDI connection (not cable, since you tried 2, so unlikely to be the cause). For the magnetic pickups at least (you know it doesn't require the battery nor VDI, in fact, to be sure, try it without the battery nor VDI).

Is it worth trying to see it possibly recognized by Line 6 Monkey or Workbench HD? (1/4" jack in good for that + volume nob not off)

EDIT: clarity.

Also, did you check the battery level indicator on the guitar after you charged the battery? Because "no battery ever put in guitar" could also mean that your battery has died in the meantime (but the charger actually also has to blink with a shorter interval if that were the case, now that I think of it), (also) although unlikely for Li-ion batteries, which should be the one supplied with the recent JTVs. Because it might be another complication (blind spot) in this situation.

I can't help you with this out of my head.

Feedback about that, and as you know trying the charged battery (EDIT: also with the VDI USB interface with a computer), also a 1/4" cable if normal signal isn't passed-on via VDI; all these steps will help (you and Line 6) clarify and isolate the faulty component or next steps, if the case, or what the actual source of the problem is.

Edited by ZenBalancer

Well,  I played to the two gigs with  a Gibson (no Variax) guitar.

What I have tried:

1.  Several VDI cables.

2. Charging the battery and trying to power from the battery.

3. Placed a ball of paper inside the model knob and placed it back on the shaft.

None of these would enable the JTV to power on.   I tried pressing the shaft of the JTV model switch with the knob OFF - nothing.

I have not tried using the battery + USB interface to see if Monkey or Workbench will see it.  I will do that tonight, 

I used the HD500X on gigs this weekend and it was perfect with the Gibson.

Well,  I played to the two gigs with  a Gibson (no Variax) guitar.

What I have tried:

1.  Several VDI cables.

2. Charging the battery and trying to power from the battery.

3. Placed a ball of paper inside the model knob and placed it back on the shaft.

None of these would enable the JTV to power on.   I tried pressing the shaft of the JTV model switch with the knob OFF - nothing.

I have not tried using the battery + USB interface to see if Monkey or Workbench will see it.  I will do that tonight, 

I used the HD500X on gigs this weekend and it was perfect with the Gibson.

Good to know you've good alternatives and the HD500X isn't letting you down, especially with other guitars.

EDIT: But that doesn't exclude the possibility that if a short-circuit took place inside the Variax, that the POD HD500X VDI 'electricity relay' part could have been fried with it (since you 'never' used the battery, so probablly if anything happened while the Variax was on, it was electrically connected to the HD500X through the VDI-related-circuitry). If you have not tested that HD500X with another Variax without a battery, powered through a VDI, you wouldn't have proof that particular HD500X is still capable of powering a Variax. Further speculations and probabilities aside.

EDIT#?: Also, beware that if you (plan to) test another Variax with that particular POD HD500X through VDI without any final conclusion about your JTV-59, that particular POD could fry your next Variax as well, if the next Variax isn't grounded either; that is still based on an assumption within this reasoning. Just imagining relevant worst-case-scenarios in this regard.

The following might be silly of me to keep repeating, it's just a formality to be sure in writing, but you still have not given a written explicit impression that you actually are cognizant of the status of the battery:

And the following isn't about that or other gigs anymore, since you've already repeated that you've alternative guitars at your disposal. It's about the troubleshooting steps. Is there any signal from the Magnetic Pickups through a 1/4" cable(tested working with your other guitar); it's not about whether you're interested in that or not, it's about any additional clues about how much of the Variax or what exactly is broken/non-functioning.

How about using headphones in that combination (don't know your amp), to test it, .... For the magnetic pickups at least (you know it doesn't require the battery nor VDI, in fact, to be sure, try it without the battery nor VDI).

Every bit of relevant feedback helps.

EDITs: correctness + clarity.

Edited by ZenBalancer

I did not try the battery level indicator on the back of the guitar....actually forgot it had that.   I can check that and post the result tonight.

However, since I bought the guitar, I have never had a battery in the guitar - ever  - until trying to troubleshoot.

I did not try headphones.  I  assume you mean headphones plugged into the HD500X.    However, I plugged my other guitars into the guitar input and the POD and DT50 work normally in that fashion.

I did not try the magnetic pickups in the JTV.  I guess you just plug a regular guitar cable into the 1/4' jack and straight to an amp?   I will try that.   I feel certain that would work.   Though I would not use it that way as I need single coil tones most of the time.

I did not try the battery level indicator on the back of the guitar....actually forgot it had that.   I can check that and post the result tonight.

However, since I bought the guitar, I have never had a battery in the guitar - ever  - until trying to troubleshoot.

I did not try headphones.  I  assume you mean headphones plugged into the HD500X.    However, I plugged my other guitars into the guitar input and the POD and DT50 work normally in that fashion.

I did not try the magnetic pickups in the JTV.  I guess you just plug a regular guitar cable into the 1/4' jack and straight to an amp?   I will try that.   I feel certain that would work.   Though I would not use it that way as I need single coil tones most of the time.

Basic end-user life-mistakes.

That's exactly the reason why your battery might have died in the meantime (within the context I mentioned; it shouldn't have if Li-ion/recent JTV supplied one). And combined with some reason why VDI powering isn't working, could mean that you would be missing a troubleshooting step if you would not check the state of the battery.

Preferably connected to your Amp not POD HD500X; we want to separate the possibly faulty components. But if connected using a 1/4" to your POD500X with a checked battery level, it would be a good test-case-scenario.

That's clear; remember it's for troubleshooting.

Colors might represent some of my mood swings, but it's mostly content-relevant.

Everything is green now (EDIT: as regular field-grass!) ; wheeee....  :lol: 

Except Line 6 equipment is letting you down  :blink:  :ph34r: 

Edited by ZenBalancer

Also be sure to have read the following (if you don't read the actual edited forum posts, but only the original e-mail notifications copy)

EDIT#?: Also, beware that if you (plan to) test another Variax with that particular POD HD500X through VDI without any final conclusion about your JTV-59, that particular POD could fry your next Variax as well, if the next Variax isn't grounded either; that is still based on an assumption within this reasoning. Just imagining relevant worst-case-scenarios in this regard.

It's a warning worth a double post.

Waiting on battery to complete charging.  I will first try to plug a 1/4 cable straight into my Matchless amp.  I assume mag pups will work, but I will try to "turn on" the guitar to get to models.

IF THAT WORKS.....I will use the VDI interface and see if Monkey will see the guitar.

Results posted here in a little while tonight.

Ok......battery fully charged.

Installed batt into guitar.   All green LEDs lit.

Used a 1/4" guitar cable, Modeling works, LED on model knob comes on when pressed.  Models work through Matchless amp and DT50.

Is the VDI cable the same as a regular Cat 5e network cable.....I have dozens of those and can try one.......will wait to hear before I try it.

I'd weigh in with this advise - no expert.  My -59 suffered "cable pull" damage months ago.  I had random crackling noise thru the 500X, and worked thru the nasty issue until last week, when I screwed out the jack plate, quickly discovering that the VDI female connector was cracked/broken.  I then applied a superglue repair and it is reliably holding in all the VDI (Ethernet-style) connections, although the metal VDI release tab was also glued firmly.  So, on the -59, it is always a pain to release the VDI, and now it just slips out smoothly.  So, no big deal to bring cable around your strap.  Can play all nite, no noise. and to your specific problem, pull the plate. Possibly, all this colorful forum font will relax. Heh.

Ordered a new -59 jackplate ($41) from a music Etailer "Full Compass" and playing a gig this weekend without it (they appear to be "slow boat anti-amazon"; really....two weeks to ship..?)

Pull your -59 jackplate, you may discover the root cause of your problem.

Hope helping,

warcloudwells

Ok......battery fully charged.

Installed batt into guitar.   All green LEDs lit.

Used a 1/4" guitar cable, Modeling works, LED on model knob comes on when pressed.  Models work through Matchless amp and DT50.

Is the VDI cable the same as a regular Cat 5e network cable.....I have dozens of those and can try one.......will wait to hear before I try it.

According to some Official Demonstrators I remember saying it is a (regular?) Cat5E cable (the marking/writing on the supplied VDI cable for the USB interface itself says over the length of the cable a few times: Cat 5E, I think..; No I've checked this time: UTP ... Cat 5E, and I also checked the cover colors of the [copper? filled?] 'mechanical'/artificial 'arteries' that are filled for a better future robustness, the colors match a regular UTP Patch Cable Setup)

BUT I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER FOR WHATEVER MIGHT HAPPEN TO YOUR STUFF! Sorry man, take it easy, life is full of surprises. The good mixed with the bad and mixed with the good ~ experiences..

I'd weigh in with this advise - no expert.  My -59 suffered "cable pull" damage months ago.  I had random crackling noise thru the 500X, and worked thru the nasty issue until last week, when I screwed out the jack plate, quickly discovering that the VDI female connector was cracked/broken.  I then applied a superglue repair and it is reliably holding in all the VDI (Ethernet-style) connections, although the metal VDI release tab was also glued firmly.  So, on the -59, it is always a pain to release the VDI, and now it just slips out smoothly.  So, no big deal to bring cable around your strap.  Can play all nite, no noise. and to your specific problem, pull the plate. Possibly, all this colorful forum font will relax. Heh.

Ordered a new -59 jackplate ($41) from a music Etailer "Full Compass" and playing a gig this weekend without it (they appear to be "slow boat anti-amazon"; really....two weeks to ship..?)

Hope helping,

warcloudwells

I'm paranoid. Yet your post seems insightful however. To me I find it helpful info. I don't know about what the current effected end-user ends up concluding..

EDIT: clarity

Edited by ZenBalancer

I have my battery in the guitar case in the off chance my VDI or my HD500X stops working. I've only needed to use it once, when I apparently stepped on the VDI cable metal end connector and got it out of round, so I couldn't insert it into the VDI connector on my pedal... I couldn't really see any deformation, but ended up buying a new cable.

Anyway, pulled the battery out of my guitar case and played the job. In general, I don't like having to use batteries. I've seen too many times when our other guitar player or bass player have their active pickups or radio packs go dead on them in the middle of a set....  It's not just Variaxes... I was somewhat amazed at the time, as I hadn't even looked at the battery for literally months, and it held it's charge and got me through a 4 - hour gig...

I've never used batteries on the Variaxes from my 300 through my JTV's -- why it's a huge deal to me to have either the VDI capable POD pedals or the new Helix to power and input the guitars... The guitar patch and tuning control are a big bonus, as well.

Dave

I have my battery in the guitar case in the off chance my VDI or my HD500X stops working. I've only needed to use it once, when I apparently stepped on the VDI cable metal end connector and got it out of round, so I couldn't insert it into the VDI connector on my pedal... I couldn't really see any deformation, but ended up buying a new cable.

Anyway, pulled the battery out of my guitar case and played the job. In general, I don't like having to use batteries. I've seen too many times when our other guitar player or bass player have their active pickups or radio packs go dead on them in the middle of a set.... It's not just Variaxes... I was somewhat amazed at the time, as I hadn't even looked at the battery for literally months, and it held it's charge and got me through a 4 - hour gig...

I've never used batteries on the Variaxes from my 300 through my JTV's -- why it's a huge deal to me to have either the VDI capable POD pedals or the new Helix to power and input the guitars... The guitar patch and tuning control are a big bonus, as well.

Dave

Amen on the batteries...don't want them anywhere. In a guitar, pedal, doesn't matter. Always a pain in the arse. Carrying a crate of 9 volts around because any one of 14 pedals might crap out at any moment is not my idea of fun.

• 5 months later...

Now......... with the fully charged battery IN the guitar........... NO 1/4" cable.......... VDI to POD500X.   It powers on and works.   

Is it running off the battery like this?

Were you able to isolate the issue further?

Did a Line 6 Service Center take a look at the vdi-power components in the hd500? Or the receiving-end on the 59?

By vdi cable pull cracked vdi-sockets prolly not the culprit in this case, since only vdi-power is malfunctioning.

A 59 over vdi short-circuit after all? Did you risk another variax over vdi with that particular hd500?

Edit: Or risked another vdi floorboard with that particular 59?

Edited by ZenBalancer

Apparently your guitar gets no power through VDI. If not the cable is the issue then it could be

1. The power supply in the 500x

2. the connector in the 500x

(3. the VDI Cable)

4. The connector on the JTV

5. a solder connection inside the JTV

Do you have a possibility to try the guitar without battery on a different VDI Pod or Helix to see if it's 1. or 2.?

Now......... with the fully charged battery IN the guitar........... NO 1/4" cable.......... VDI to POD500X.   It powers on and works.   

Is it running off the battery like this?

I think you probably just had the one problem: the classic "knob too far down the shaft won't allow me to turn models on" issue. Now that you have fixed that, I think that if you run off VDI without the battery, everything will now be working correctly again.

Hope helping,

warcloudwells

My impression (and experience) is that Full Compass really doesn't stock much of anything in terms of Line6 parts.  It took me almost three weeks to get a replacement piezo bridge element for my JTV-69. 

My impression (and experience) is that Full Compass really doesn't stock much of anything in terms of Line6 parts. It took me almost three weeks to get a replacement piezo bridge element for my JTV-69.

+1...same thing when I ordered my mother-of-toilet seat pickguard for the 69. Took almost a month to ship.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems like it should work...lights on the model knob are coming on. Try another VDI cable...you REALLY need a sturdier one anyway. That sh*tty one that comes with the guitar is only intended for connecting to Workbench with the USB dongle. If you try and use it in your rig for any length of time, the end without the metal housing is gonna get destroyed.

Do you get sound with the battery and a regular 1/4" cable?

I had a similar problem with my JTV so I looked up my original thread.  Here is what I found "I had to switch the alternate tuning knob from standard to Model to get modeling coming thru the POD and into the amp."

http://line6.com/support/topic/19829-brand-new-jtv59-modeling-doesnt-turn-on/?do=findComment&comment=149324