Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500 and Active monitors

arturocivit

Hi there guys, been using line6 products since a while, right now I'm using a POD HD500 which I think it is great, however I just biught a pair of active monitors, the behringer truth, and now I'm in doubt about how to use it with the POD HD500, I know how and where to connect, I'm using XLR cables, but the question is, what should I do on the POD HD500 in order to have the best output sound, is there a setting I need to tweak? Like any global configuration or something? using the editor do I have to turn off the amps? Sorry, never touched that part of my POD.

Thanks guys!

Arturo

Set the HD500 Output Mode to Studio - it's a global setting in the setup menus. If you ever want to use the 1/4" outs rather than the XLR, set the associated switch to Line.

+1, and you do not want to turn off the amps on your HD500.  Avoid the "Pre" models as well.  Using the studio direct mode will give you the sound of a mic'd amp when amplified through an FRFR monitor like your Behringer.

+1, and you do not want to turn off the amps on your HD500.  Avoid the "Pre" models as well.  Using the studio direct mode will give you the sound of a mic'd amp when amplified through an FRFR monitor like your Behringer.

Thanks BigChas52, sorry but now I have another question, you mentioned the "Pre" models, is this something that I control when setting up the amps? Or are models with this feature only? And, what is studio direct mode? Thanks so much!

Thanks BigChas52, sorry but now I have another question, you mentioned the "Pre" models, is this something that I control when setting up the amps? Or are models with this feature only? And, what is studio direct mode? Thanks so much!

Just to make sure I have this right in my head.... 

Have you used the HD500 before? 

I was under the impression that you have been using it and are just now adding some speakers, but this statement makes me wonder if I misunderstood and you are new to the HD500. 

Just to make sure I have this right in my head.... 

Have you used the HD500 before? 

I was under the impression that you have been using it and are just now adding some speakers, but this statement makes me wonder if I misunderstood and you are new to the HD500. 

Fairly new, this is a neew unit I bought a few days ago, had some experience with the 300 but not the 500, sorry for the confusion, 

For each amp model, there is a second separate model with a name ending in "Pre".  That means that the model has the power amp section removed.  It is useful mostly for folks who play their HD500 through their favorite guitar amp, or use it with one of the Line 6 DT amps, and do not want the power amp coloration on top of their own amps power section sound.  Avoid using those "Pre" with powered speakers or a PA system.  

Now, no more questions until you've read the manual ;) 

For each amp model, there is a second separate model with a name ending in "Pre".  That means that the model has the power amp section removed.  It is useful mostly for folks who play their HD500 through their favorite guitar amp, or use it with one of the Line 6 DT amps, and do not want the power amp coloration on top of their own amps power section sound.  Avoid using those "Pre" with powered speakers or a PA system.  

Thanks so much! Working on it and reading the manual from top to bottom, thanks!!

Why should he avoid using the Pre models? How can you be "a Line 6 Expert" and mislead people that much with your posts? Many times the Pre models are better than the Full models. A huge example is the Fireball amp sim, which I use a lot and I can guarantee you that its' Pre model is 1000 times better than its' Full. Why? Because of the 3rd order harmonics that the Full model tends to produce, giving you that fake, crappy, digital tone.

I would suggest you to go and study pfsmith0's measurements before giving any more false information to the people here.

http://line6.com/support/topic/12853-amppre-frequency-response-graphs-and-data/

This might seem like the initial purpose of Line 6 (to lead the people using the Pre models only with guitar amps), but it is totally not correct.

You can definitely use Pre models with powered speakers or a PA system and get great results, even better than with the Full models, because as I said, many times the Pre models are just more natural sounding, and they also have different frequency response, which is like using a totally different amp.

Fairly new, this is a neew unit I bought a few days ago, had some experience with the 300 but not the 500, sorry for the confusion, 

So my suggestion to the OP is to trust mostly his ears and start tweaking the unit. Only by spending time with it, he will learn how to build his own personal and favorite tones. Listen to both of the models each time, and use the one that you like best, no matter what is your setup. 

Regards,

G.A.

• Upvote 1

Why should he avoid using the Pre models? How can you be "a Line 6 Expert" and mislead people that much with your posts? 

You have to learn to walk before you can run. 

I don't think anyone is saying "do not ever use" a certain feature. It is about learning the basic beginning usage of the unit.. Sort of like when I tell people that the GEQ should be turned off. I am not telling people not to use it, I am telling beginners the reason why not use it. 

The OP has had his unit a few days and has not even read the owner's manual. And he is coming here asking some very basic questions. He is not ready for "it is your machine, do whatever sounds good." He needs to learn the basics. He needs to learn the difference between an amp and a pre-amp, as well as when and why to use each. 

To put it in terms that a player can understand --- you have to learn to play a G Chord before you need to worry about playing The Crossroads Intimidation Breakdown. 

If everyone was as advanced as you and I, no one would be here asking questions. And the world would sound so much better. 

But they're not. They need to learn. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone is saying "do not ever use" a certain feature. It is about learning the basic beginning usage of the unit.. Sort of like when I tell people that the GEQ should be turned off. I am not telling people not to use it, I am telling beginners the reason why not use it. 

The OP has had his unit a few days and has not even read the owner's manual. And he is coming here asking some very basic questions. He is not ready for "it is your machine, do whatever sounds good." He needs to learn the basics. He needs to learn the difference between an amp and a pre-amp, as well as when and why to use each. 

To put it in terms that a player can understand --- you have to learn to play a G Chord before you need to worry about playing The Crossroads Intimidation Breakdown. 

If everyone was as advanced as you and I, no one would be here asking questions. And the world would sound so much better. 

Hey Gear Head, I'm with you about walk before run, I'm pretty much with you about the G chord thing, but I asked the question because from my point of view it won't hurt nor offend anybody, seems like it's some kind of capital sin to ask something without read the entire thing, which I'm doing btw, I asked something, they responded something and in the interim they advised me to check the manual and play with the unit, 

Now, about this:

You really think the world would be a better place if nobody asks a question?

Anyway, thanks to everybody who replied on this, I'm working hard to find some time and continue reading the amp and understand how this works.

Best!

Arturo

Yes, exactly, they need to learn. That's why I do believe that they should have their eyes opened with the correct information as soon as possible and it will be up to them on how much they are willing to get involved. 

Like I said, Pre & Full models, most of the times are like 2 different amps. So it is best for him to play with both of them and see what he likes best.

Saying that he shouldn't use the Pre models with powered speakers or a PA system is false and highly misleading, in my opinion. Anyone that has read pfsmith0's measurements can relate to my statement.

• Upvote 1

So my suggestion to the OP is to trust mostly his ears and start tweaking the unit. Only by spending time with it, he will learn how to build his own personal and favorite tones. Listen to both of the models each time, and use the one that you like best, no matter what is your setup. 

Regards,

G.A.

Thanks man, that sounds great as well.

You really think the world would be a better place if nobody asks a question?

That is not at all what I said. 

I said, if you knew as much as I do, or as much as Giorgos does, you wouldn't be asking questions. 

We've all been first time users at some point. I just don't think that more advanced ideas need to be given to people just starting out. There is a reason why a med student learns to take your temperature and cuts up a cadaver before doing an appendectomy which is long before removing a tumor from the brain.  

So, the basic answer is ---- 

If you are using a physical amp, you only need to use the pre-amp model because you already have sound of a power amp via your physical amp. 

But, the answer to every question is: 

It's your machine, you make the rules. Plus, it's music, there are no rules. Do whatever the hell you want with it. Make it sound however you want to make it sound by whatever way you can make it sound the way you want it to sound. 

And if we told you that at the start --- you'd tell us to lollipop off, and then go tell all of your friends how rude we are. 

When in reality, we told you the right answer when you wanted the basic answer. 

Hi there guys, been using line6 products since a while, right now I'm using a POD HD500 which I think it is great, however I just biught a pair of active monitors, the behringer truth, and now I'm in doubt about how to use it with the POD HD500, I know how and where to connect, I'm using XLR cables, but the question is, what should I do on the POD HD500 in order to have the best output sound, is there a setting I need to tweak? Like any global configuration or something? using the editor do I have to turn off the amps? Sorry, never touched that part of my POD.

Thanks guys!

Arturo

Another helpful slightly hidden parameter than can help 'tighten' up your sound in the monitors is on page 5/5 of the amp model edit screens: 'res lvl' and  'thump' .

try turning either or both down in various levels, also try them all the way down to zero.. To get there, click over so the selector is on the amp model, then double click the 'enter' button. Click right to get to page 5. The other four pages are also useful with various control over the mic, mic er, and some other settings like sag, master, etc.

One other thing: in your input page, set input 1 to guitar and input 2 to something other than 'same' or 'guitar'. Like, variax. Setting it to same doubles the level of your input signal. To get to that screen, (click the 'view' button to exit the other edit screen we were just in), now hold down the 'view' button, which gets you to the 12 pages of 'setup'. This is where you can toggle between using the 8 switches to turn on/off FS1-8 vs. using FS1-4 to toggle FS/FX and FS 5-8 to do patch changes (A-B-C-D). So, click right to get to page 3/12. This is the input setting page.Try: input 1 source: guitar  and input 2 source: variax. Now click right again, to page 4/12. This is the output mode page. Make it 'studio direct'. Now click right again, to page 11/12. This is the 'global EQ' page that was added in a more recent firmware update. NOTE: Make sure you have the most recent firmware installed..

Hope that helps.

Cheers~!! :)

Everybody starts somewhere! I have had an HD500 since they came out, but my knowledge of dialing in good 'studio/direct' tones with it is woefully underdeveloped, since I've almost always used it with regular amps, and then a DT25 for the last couple of years..

More recently, there is no more band, so I've been using it at home just with a pair of M-Audio BX5 monitors, for way lower volumes..  Takes a totally different patch dialing in approach! And despite years of familiarity with the controls, it's still like starting from scratch! With the DT25, especially, I never did anything with res level, thump, or mic settings. I set up patches that sounded good only when linked to a DT25..

With the impending Helix, I have been thinking I should give 'studio direct' another try, after lugging around the DT25 - which is the lightest of  those amps, they are still heavy and my lower back seems to tweak without fail every time I lift something wrong.

The L2t by comparison, I can lift and carry with one hand, and easily lift up to my chest to carry with two hands.. As for the L3m, they are just stacked in the closet, too insanely heavy - and loud - to be jamming at home with, or moving for anything other than a gig!! They would make killer floor monitors for a nice big stage, when you want to be able to crank it.. But the L2t is also insanely loud, and crystal clear. I also messsed a bit with the L2t speaker modes, while leaving the HD500x in 'studio direct'. Depending on the amp and cab settings, it can sound better in 'electric guitar' mode than in 'reference / PA". Though as a floor monitor (horizontal) it does sound better in 'monitor mode'. I also put a Roland keyboard into the HD500 FX loop, and tried the L2t in keyboard mode, that does nice things for the Roland.. Quite versatile.

So in general. patch dialing is 99.9% subjective, based on the speakers used to listen. If you can get everything relatively 'flat' it should translate from the smaller monitors to a bigger system. But, that varies considerably based on the amount of bass freq being produced... 

I admit, the DT25 makes the process easier; but the easiest path isn't always the best, or only path. 

On the bass note, I also tried running my 5-string bass into some of the new model pack bass amps, linked to the L2t. Sounds fantastic!! For the right gig, this is a totally doable bass rig, especially if the stage volume isn't able to support the typical bass cab low end volume.. Tight and clear, plenty of volume and plenty of low end, with the FOH signal coming from the HD500x XLR outs. I also set up some bass patches with a dual amp model, to get a wet / dry thing going on. Sounds awesome to split the bass signal, put a filter / autowah on one channel and a pitch shifter (down one octave) on the other channel.