Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ASIO settings for POD HD

Shaamaan

I've decided to try some home recording with my HD500 and found it a bit confusing - and as such, I'm wondering if I'm actually doing it right.

First things first - I'm using Windows 7, and the POD is connected via the USB cable to my PC with the latest drivers installed. Once the POD is powered on, a new playback and recording device appears in the Windows Sound configuration window.

Here's the part that baffles me.

If I go to my recording application and select the ASIO and POD500 as the input... then NOTHING will be recorded UNTIL I select the POD HD500 recording device as the default recording device in Windows Sound configuration.

This... doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd expect the Windows Sound configuration to be the settings for, well, Windows sounds and how the OS records and plays back audio. I'd expect a recording application to "use" what the settings for that application imply - in this case, the POD.

I'm using Cockos Reaper, BTW, if that makes any difference.

Can anyone explain what's going on?

PS. When accessing the L6 ASIO config, a field called "ASIO client" says "none"... I'm guessing this is wrong, when Reaper is active and SHOULD, in theory at least, be listening to the POD...

My first recording... didn't record. I honestly don't know why, at this point.

But I think I see what's going on and why I was confused.

When Reaper's config page is opened it actually stops listening to ASIO. So when going to the L6 ASIO setup page from Reaper's config - that's why it says there's no connected client. Reaper's still listening on regular Windows channels, however, so that's why I could see the dB monitors "work" only when I've set the default recording device in Windows Sound.

I'll work on the settings some more.

On a side note - any general tips for best quality? Sample rate, Buffer size / depth?

EDIT for bonus question:

Also, is there a difference in quality between using ASIO and that Line6 "Digital Audio Interface" available for non-ASIO applications? Perhaps I'm over-thinking this whole ASIO thing...

ASIO will should give you better fidelity and lower latency than the Windows sound does.

Lower Sample rate = lower fidelity = lower CPU = lower latency = less space used on disk

Higher buffer size = lower CPU usage = higher latency (useful if you are hearing stutters, pops, or clicks) - In general, keep this as low as possible without causing sound artifacts.

lower bit depth = lower fidelity = lower CPU = lower latency = less space used on disk

44100 or 48000 sample rate at 24 bit is a good place to start

• Upvote 1