Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Where's the love for the bass

I've been a proud owner of a Variax Bass 705 since it was released. I've watched as bass products seem to slowly vanish from the Line Six catalog. Should I just give up on Line Six completely? I mean, as far as I know, they never even released Workbench for the bass like they said they would. Why has this company abandonded the low end? Do I just need to get a Variax guitar and tune it like a Fender VI to get what I had hoped would come from Line Six concerning bass?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I love my Variax 705 bass and it's very clear that Line 6 are done with the Variax 700 & 705 models and probably any future bass models. Don't expect any s/w updates including Workbench ever being developed for the basses cause that's just never going to happen. They realized a number of years ago that there's just no return on the investment that would be needed to develop it which is really too bad.

That being said, I just continue to use my 705 as a work horse and enjoy it. 

TD

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the question should really be directed towards consumers rather than Line 6. They tried - the market just wasn't there, unfortunately. I just think that the majority of bass players aren't into worrying about their tone in the same way that guitarists are. In all my years playing, I think I can count on one hand the number of bass players I've played who use effects, for instance. Heck, most of them don't even turn a knob or move a pickup selector during a set.

I am more surprised that there isn't a market for an acoustic version.  I have the Variax Acoustic and the acoustic models are better than my JTV.   It plays much more like an acoustic with the heavier acoustic strings on it too.  I like the JTV way more as my regular guitar so I don't really play my acoustic much.

• 1 month later...

Variax 700 bass and Bass Pod XT: very impressive gear. I could achieve all the bass tones I wanted. All of them. Like our mate said above: one instrument ahead of its time.

I feel very confortable playing it and when the croud listen to it their faces are aways stunned with eyes wide open. Very well balanced, beautiful design. Most of all, I love the Fender's neck design.

• 8 years later...

Agree with all of the above and mine is a workhorse as well as my all time favourite bass (I have had a few in my time). It is a real shame line 6 turned there back on the variax basses. Line 6 where ahead of their time and by the time players realised we really love these guitars, line 6 stopped making them. 
I do think line 6 could do something for the bass guys plugging their products every time we play i.e. a workbench even if it is a basic version.

• 5 weeks later...

Love my 700 Bass.  Great feel and wide variety of tones.  I wish it would work with Workbench as I'd like to program a set of EB-3 tones.  (My main bass is a 67 EB-3.)  I anticipate, however, its electronics will eventually die and turn it into a boat paddle.  Investigating adding on regular PUs somehow.