Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to pod hd500x (absolute beginner)

razobryan10

I bought a pod hd500x today brought it home, plugged in a 1/4 inch adapter to connect my headphones and start building my presets...the audio sounds horrible...i can't get any nice tone out of it I'm using some iPhone head phones but i figured i should still be able to get some nice low volume sounds coming out...i do have it running studio/direct.. can anyone help because I'm not getting my amp till another week and i would love to already have some presets that ill just have to tweak a little...thanks!

Hey razo, welcome. Unfortunately iPhone ear pieces won't cut it. If your going to use headphones to build your tones you'll need some Good Quality Enclosed Ear Headphones. The best way to "build your presets" would be to wait till you get your amp. Hook up the HD500X and turn your amp up to GIG Volume and start from there. Just start with the amp model of your choice and NO FX, then once you get your sound then you can start adding FX little by little. Once you build a nice patch that you're satisfied with you can use that as sort of a "template" for more of your own patches.

Hey razo, welcome. Unfortunately iPhone ear pieces won't cut it. If your going to use headphones to build your tones you'll need some Good Quality Enclosed Ear Headphones.

+1...Those ear buds reduce the best recordings in the world to garbage. They're even more useless for an application like this. You need good headphones, with as flat a frequency response as you can find for building your patches. Also, unless the amp your waiting on is FRFR, don't expect any patches created with headphones to sound even remotely similar when you run them through the amp. Even in studio/direct mode with full amp models, headphones and a traditional guitar amp are completely different species. You will end up needing much more than "just a little tweaking" between the two.

On the other hand, the tone of any given patch through an FRFR rig vs. a good pair of flat response headphones should be much closer, and require considerably less tweaking between them. It's just the nature of the beast...

Like the others have said, ditch the earbuds.  You can purchase a good pair of enclosed ear headphones for a reasonable price, and your low end, and mids will be better right out of the box.  Don't buy noise cancellers, because if you are trying to get a decent sound, those things really aren't good for that.